EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: By,by California  (Read 8053 times)

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
Re: By,by California
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2013, 01:55:34 PM »
I didn't read your post as trashing CA.

Neither did I, nor did I feel it hit a nerve. But I felt it appropriate to help explain the microclimates we have here, how they affect folks who aren't used to them, and how things can be different at different times of the year. In this part of California, inland we have two seasons - hot/dry/breezy/gold and wet/stormy/green. San Francisco year round is either foggy/cool or sunny/comfortable.

Coming from a place where it rains "366 days a year" and the landscape is green and lush all year round, it took some getting used to California climate and microclimates. I first experienced the extremes in the 70's when I  visited during the fall/winter and later during the summer.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2013, 03:05:36 PM »
Alan, you've just experienced a severe drought year which is worse in the summer so you didn't come at the most opportune time.  Did you hear that at one point about two weeks ago there were 51 major fires burning in CA, OR, ID, and MT?  Some are still burning.  That's what happens when there's a drought out here.  The underbrush is tinder.  All it takes is one lightning strike or one person who doesn't put out a campfire properly (e.g. like the Rim Fire at Yosemite) and our western states turn from summer brown or golden to black.  We lived in CA for 39 years and had two seven-year droughts with water rationing on the San Francisco Peninsula.  We didn't have much in the way of green lawns then, even in the winter, but it was more important to conserve water than to have green lawns!  You easterners are used to having green all the time but have to recognize other parts of the country aren't so lucky.  While we lived in CA, Jerry's sister came to live near us - straight from nice green WET England!  We had a really rainy winter that year and I was raving about how green the hills were.  She asked "what green?" because they didn't compare to England but we thought they were gorgeous!  It's all a matter of perspective.  By the way, did you happen to see Lake Mead in Nevada?  It's down more than 120 feet and there's a white "bathtub" ring around it where the water level used to be.  The Colorado western Rockies didn't have a very wet snow pack this year so the Colorado River and downstream lakes will be down even more.

As to roads, we noticed last month that I-5 had improved since we were there last year.  But everywhere we went this year there was road construction.  It seemed like we went from one orange cone forest to another, in all the states not just CA.  Even road surfaces change from year-to-year.  The last time we were on the Trans-Canada Highway some years ago, I thought it was awful.  I'm sure it's better now but there just aren't enough highway funds to go around for everything, whether the USA or Canada.

There are other places that have bad trash too.  Sad, but true.  There are pigs everywhere.  :(  We've always tried to leave our campsites cleaner than they were on our arrival.

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

hpykmpr

• ---
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2013, 04:55:37 PM »
No offense taken, but I can't help smiling every time I read similar messages.

The inland areas of California are always hot in summer, while the coastal areas are much cooler. We live in the Central Valley, and the temperature difference between here and San Francisco (65 miles away) can be 40 degrees. We've had numerous overseas and out-of-state visitors who ignored our warnings and insisted on wearing shorts and t-shirts when we took them to the Bay or the coast; It would be 105-110 degrees here and, when we arrived, they wouldn't get out of the car because it was cold, foggy, and drizzly.

" I know what you are saying as we camped at Travis Air Force Base and there it was hot ,mid 90's during the day and we went three trips to San Francisco and there it was in the very pleasant high 60's and low 70's for 2 days and the other day it was low to mid 60's and very foggy. What a temp. change in 50 odd miles. We knew what the temp's were like because we experienced almost the same thing along the coast verses inland in both Oregon and Washington."

I'm not sure how much of the state you'd "see" in 25 days. We've lived in or near the greater Bay area for 33 years, have RV'd and boated up and down the state for almost 30 years, and we haven't scratched the surface.

"We did experience a lot of the different areas of California in that 25 days but you are right we did not see nearly all of it . I have lived in Florida for almost28 years and have not scratched the surface of the things to do and see there."

Sorry about the roads; As others have said, California ran out of money a long time ago. OTOH I see some major road improvement projects within a 30-mile radius of us; There's some hope.

Glad you came away with some fond memories. Hopefully, your next visit will be a better experience.

Hint: A google search on a place you plan to visit will usually find a Wiki which includes climate info.

Edit: Fixed quote tags.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 09:50:28 AM by Tom »

hpykmpr

• ---
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2013, 08:46:55 AM »
California is brown in the summer and green in the winter. You want green all the time, visit Colorado in the summer and California in the winter. Go spend the whole year in the south. As you said, there are a lot of spectacular places to visit in California. And it is hot in the summer, so are Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Kansas, Mississippi, Florida, and a lot of other places. Give California another chance, maybe in the spring or fall. It's a BIG state with a lot of places to see and things to do.

Wendy

I did not say that I needed green all year long it just came as a great shock to me to see so much brown, or as someone else corrected, golden brown grass. There is beauty in all things and we saw a lot of it in California this trip and hopefully we will see the state earlier in the year in the next couple of years. We actually saw something that probably most of the people on this forum has not likely seen . We got to see the giant cloud of smoke, created by the rim fire , from atop of Glacier Point in Yosemite. I suppose this would not be classed as beauty in the natural sense but it was beauty in a magnificent , destructive way. Now I'm not saying that I'm glad it happened so we could take pictures of it but I am saying that I'm glad we saw it. We stood in front of and had our pictures taken in front of three or the largest trees in the world and was amazed at the beauty of walking among the giant redwoods and sequoias. We saw a lot while we were in California and am looking forward to returning to see some more. I have lived in Florida now for almost 28 years and my wife a lot longer than that, yes it is green but to me there is not very much scenery. I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with me on that. We can not wait to leave Florida in the summer because of the heat. I'm glad we left this summer and that we got a chance to spent some of our summer in California....Alan

hpykmpr

• ---
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2013, 09:02:11 AM »
What Seiler, Wendy, Molaker, and Tom said! 

Tell me true, now ... does every place you visit have to be perfect to afford you a good time?  If so, my sympathies, fellow RVer, because you will miss out on a lot of beauty yet to be experienced in this wonderful USA we live in.  California is no more perfect than any other state in our Union.  Why, then, do visitors expect it to be?  Maybe because in many areas it is?  Food for thought.

Margi

No I don't think that every place we see has to be perfect. I gave up using the word "perfect" many years ago as perfect means so many different things to different people. We had a good time in California ,saw many things that we had never seen before and saw the beauty in them all. Many visitors may expect California to be perfect but that was not me. Maybe a lot of people expect that California is perfect but not me . We enjoyed our time there as we have enjoyed our time in all of the other places we have visited on this 6 month trip  so far and I am sure that we will continue to enjoy the things we see on the rest of the trip. No I do not expect perfection but I think the USA is a great country and I hope to see a lot more of it yet while I can. Maybe some day I will get to see a perfect place but I sure hope it is a long way off as there is so many things that I want to do and see yet.. ...Alan

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2013, 09:03:40 AM »
I gotta agree. For those of us who live in the southeast, the prevalent browns & golds of California (and much of the rest of the Western states) comes as a bit of a shock. Even the green regions are a darker shade.  At first it is breathtaking, but after spending a few months there, we begin to long for the emerald greens of the Southeast again.  It's not that one is prettier than the other, but they sure are different.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

JCZ

• ---
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2013, 09:54:54 AM »
This has been an interesting thread to follow.  We have our share of brown in the summer months but then you take in to consideration that the Salinas valley (the next valley over from the Sacramento/San Joaquin valley aka the big valley) is known as the salad bowl of the world.  http://www.californiabountiful.com/features/article.aspx?arID=563

And green...you want green.  Green that even those of the southeast can't relate to.....a little further north we have Mendocino, Humboldt and Trinity Counties more commonly called the Emerald Triangle.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerald_Triangle   Many of you will probably be surprised to learn that marijuana is California's #1 cash crop....  http://norml.org/legal/item/california-top-10-cash-crops   :P

OK, the true ever green of California that can be found no where else in the world.....the California redwoods.  http://www.google.com/imgres?q=California+redwoods&um=1&sa=N&rlz=1R2ADRA_enUS478&biw=1280&bih=560&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbnid=zGtvXom6nt21UM:&imgrefurl=http://www.thegreenhead.com/2007/04/california-redwood-giant-sequoia-coast-redwood.php&docid=BrBcjdOtZf_tbM&imgurl=http://www.thegreenhead.com/imgs/california-redwood-2.jpg&w=500&h=500&ei=oY0sUsPFEqSYiQKVp4EI&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=265&page=1&tbnh=136&tbnw=140&start=0&ndsp=19&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:0,i:100&tx=86&ty=67

So you see, California is green year around.  It just depends on what shade of green you're looking for and where...in this beautiful state...you're looking.

Seriously Alan.....as a native Californian I did not take any offense or issue with your original post.  I do believe that you came the wrong year (after years of drought winters) and the wrong time of year.  And, for the first time in my 62 years in this state, we finally have more people moving out of this state than we have moving in.  I only hope this trend continues.  http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Californias-Population-Moving-Out-182914961.html

So come visit.....in the spring if you want total green.  See the redwoods, the Napa Valley, Lake Tahoe, the waterfalls of Yosemite, Death Valley, the rugged coast line of the Calif. coast and the extravagance of Beverly Hills if you will.  Then all can go back to their snow ridden northeast or the bug infested southeast and us Californians will stay here and do what we do.....year around.  :P
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 10:04:58 AM by JCZ »
2013 Fox Mountain 235RLS pulled by a 2012 F-250, 3.55 Electronic Locking Differntial, 6.7L Diesel, Supercab, Lariet, FX-4, Longbed.
http://49errvpark.blogspot.com/

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2013, 09:58:35 AM »
We enjoy enough of California to use up a tank of diesel but when it is time to refuel I like to be elsewhere. With the 150 gallons in the 2006 Tradewinds we got to see more of CA this spring. ::)

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2013, 10:01:15 AM »
the salad bowel of the world

We knew what you meant, but that might attract some comments.

JCZ

• ---
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2013, 10:07:13 AM »
We enjoy enough of California to use up a tank of diesel but when it is time to refuel I like to be elsewhere. With the 150 gallons in the 2006 Tradewinds we got to see more of CA this spring. ::)

OK Jeff.....I believe all Californian's would have to agree with you on this one.  And it's not just diesel....I believe we also have the highest gas prices in the nation.  There may be isolated areas in other states that have higher priced fuel but it's the whole state of California.  And you sure don't want to have to buy fuel in Death Valley.  :'(
2013 Fox Mountain 235RLS pulled by a 2012 F-250, 3.55 Electronic Locking Differntial, 6.7L Diesel, Supercab, Lariet, FX-4, Longbed.

JCZ

• ---
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2013, 10:08:35 AM »
We knew what you meant, but that might attract some comments.

Here's the comment it attracted......Tom, you need to go spend some time out on the water....relax a bit. ;D  I do use all ten fingers to type and sometimes they move just a bit to fast.  As long as the reader can figure out what I'm trying to say then all is not lost.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 10:13:00 AM by JCZ »

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2013, 10:17:27 AM »
Oops, hit a nerve, sorry.

I rarely manage to use more than 2 fingers to type, and openly admit my typing accuracy isn't very high, compounded by my inability to spot my own typos.

you need to go spend some time out on the water...

Very true. I'll probably hit the water in the bass boat a few mornings this coming week.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 10:23:15 AM by Tom »

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2013, 10:19:47 AM »
I actually know people who want green all the time, all year long. I'm glad you enjoyed California which does have a lot to offer, even in the off season. I love variety which is one reason we spend a lot of time in California. However, when we left California for Colorado in the '80s, I swore I would never go back...hated the crowds, hated the traffic. I still hate the crowds and the traffic but we've found uncrowded places and found ways to work around the crowded areas. I hope you're able to return to California in the future, at a different time of year. As a desert rat, I heartily recommend the California deserts, especially Death Valley, Joshua Tree, and Mojave NPS areas and Anza Borrego state park. Don't expect green like Florida, green's there but you need to look for it. Do expect spectacular scenery. Oh, and don't visit the deserts in the summer :)  Spring in a good flower year can blow your mind.

Wendy
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

JCZ

• ---
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2013, 06:48:03 PM »
Oops, hit a nerve, sorry.
I rarely manage to use more than 2 fingers to type, and openly admit my typing accuracy isn't very high, compounded by my inability to spot my own typos.

Very true. I'll probably hit the water in the bass boat a few mornings this coming week.

No, not at all Tom.  I actually chuckled when I read your post.  No apolgy needed....we're good.  Have a great day.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2013, 08:25:44 PM »
Thanks JCZ. I really should have included a few  ;D ;D ;D to lighten up my message.

hpykmpr

• ---
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2013, 08:36:21 AM »
I actually know people who want green all the time, all year long. I'm glad you enjoyed California which does have a lot to offer, even in the off season. I love variety which is one reason we spend a lot of time in California. However, when we left California for Colorado in the '80s, I swore I would never go back...hated the crowds, hated the traffic. I still hate the crowds and the traffic but we've found uncrowded places and found ways to work around the crowded areas. I hope you're able to return to California in the future, at a different time of year. As a desert rat, I heartily recommend the California deserts, especially Death Valley, Joshua Tree, and Mojave NPS areas and Anza Borrego state park. Don't expect green like Florida, green's there but you need to look for it. Do expect spectacular scenery. Oh, and don't visit the deserts in the summer :)  Spring in a good flower year can blow your mind.

Wendy

Actually we came across from Bakersfield to Needles and then to Lake Havasu City last week and  on to Cottenwood on Sat and the further east in the desert we got ,where they had some rain recently we could see the change in the desert floor especially along the highway as it had started to turn green with new life.I'll bet the desert flowers are beautiful in the winter and spring and hopefully someday I will get to experience it. Yesterday we drove through Sedona and it had been 22 years since I had driven through the last time and what a change. I have to say that it is too bad that someone did not have the foresight to make that area into a National Park many years ago. What a beautiful area. After a few more days here and 4 days in Flagstaff, where my wife went to college we will be on to your state of Colorado....Alan

murphysranch

• ---
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2014, 07:52:25 PM »
Resurrecting this thread. If you want brown, its been brown since last April here in Northern CA. Its only in the last two weeks that we've FINALLY got some green growing in the area. I am so enjoying the green, albeit short and spotty. We've got a tremendous drought going on. Sure wish we could cheaply transport all that MidWest and Eastern snow over here. Look out food prices for all of us!

btw: its supposed to hit 80 F this coming Saturday. *Thud*
Empty nester newbies
Grants Pass OR
2015 Crossroads Sunset Trail SF33RL
2 AU cattle dogs too!

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2014, 10:27:53 PM »
Enjoy the green while you can - just remember any new growth this spring will add to the dry fuel on the hills later this year.

It's far too late to break the drought this year - the best we can hope for is the grass to remain sparse and dormant like it has been so far this year.   If we get any appreciable rain from here on out, all it will do is allow the grass to turn green and start growing again.  We won't get enough rain to make a difference in the reservoir levels or let the mature trees fully hydrate - they'll remain dry all summer - but letting the grass turn green and resume growing will just add to this summer's fuel load and make the wildfires truly horrendous.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 10:52:16 PM by Lou Schneider »

Hosted by Over The Network