Ukulele revival

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Our ukulele band reconvened for the weekly Fall practice practice sessions on Tuesday this week, following our Summer hiatus. Our roster lists 41 members, and an additional 16 folks signed up for our beginners class that also started on Tuesday. There'll be no-shows and dropouts from the class, but Tuesday's class revealed some prior uke players and a few fast learners; We expect that 6-8 of them will graduate to the main band in another 4 weeks.

We have four performances scheduled for November-December, including a joint concert with our Music Director's 85-strong chorus. I published 18 new/rearranged songs a week ago, so we have some learning and a lot of practice to do in the next couple of months.

A challenge I expected was from the fact that I spent the last couple of months learning to play banjo (tuned differently, and therefore requiring different fingering). Surprisingly, when I picked up a ukulele to prep for our first practice, muscle memory kicked in and I was playing just fine. I occasionally hit a clunker as I switch between the two instruments daily  :-[

The word is spreading; I'm about to decline another performance request for later this year, and we've locked in a concert for next June.

Meanwhile, our Music Director is quite creative, and likes to mix things up a bit; He's introduced a rhythm section (guitar &/or bass, tambourine, washboard and zoombang) into a couple of our prior uke concerts, and we have a joint concert with his 85-strong chorus in December. He's thrown down a challenge for me to play the banjo accompanying the uke band in one of our concerts. I'd better keep practicing  :eek:

Tom said:
Our ukulele band reconvened for the weekly Fall practice practice sessions on Tuesday this week, following our Summer hiatus. Our roster lists 41 members, and an additional 16 folks signed up for our beginners class that also started on Tuesday. There'll be no-shows and dropouts from the class, but Tuesday's class revealed some prior uke players and a few fast learners; We expect that 6-8 of them will graduate to the main band in another 4 weeks.

We have four performances scheduled for November-December, including a joint concert with our Music Director's 85-strong chorus. I published 18 new/rearranged songs a week ago, so we have some learning and a lot of practice to do in the next couple of months.

A challenge I expected was from the fact that I spent the last couple of months learning to play banjo (tuned differently, and therefore requiring different fingering). Surprisingly, when I picked up a ukulele to prep for our first practice, muscle memory kicked in and I was playing just fine. I occasionally hit a clunker as I switch between the two instruments daily  :-[

Gonna buy me a Uke!!!!!

Gonna buy me a Uke!!!!!

LOL Cliff, what would you do with the other two fingers  ;D

FWIW while I was shopping for a banjo I stumbled on a "banjitar". It's a 6-string banjo tuned like a guitar like this, making it easy for a guitar player to play immediately. I picked it up and asked myself "how the heck do I play this?"  :-[

Tom what ukulele should I start out with? I will have to se if Taylor makes one.... That's the guitars I play now.

Attachments

• GTS.jpg
    GTS.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 7
Cliff,

Martin, Kamaka and Kanilea make very nice ukuleles, but I personally think they're too expensive for "starter" ukes. Someone loaned me a Martin and a Kamaka for many months, and I was almost too paranoid to play them, because my middle name is klutz. Kala makes nice ukes at more reasonable prices. Kanilea also has their Islander brand, essentially the same product made in China (vs Hawaii) at a fraction of the price.

Call me cheap, but my everyday uke is a Fluke made by Flea Market Music. Folks turn their noses up when they see the polypropylene body (wood top and neck), but change their tune (no pun) when they hear the tone from this $200-$250 uke. The darned thing is virtually indestructible; On several occasions someone has literally kicked it across the room, and each time it's survived intact and didn't even go out of tune.

I assume you're aware that ukes come in several sizes - soprano (think Tiny Tim), concert (which I play), tenor, and baritone. For a given brand, tenor ukes have richer tone than soprano and concert. Baritone ukes are usually tuned differently.

I didn't know they were different types.....I will do some googlein'.....................Thanks for the info....maybe my next recording of "Waltzin' Thru Walmart" or "Home on the Road" will be.....Cliff and his uke unplugged....LoL

I forgot to mention this page on the Delta Strummers web site with links to lists of ukulele manufacturers.

....maybe my next recording of "Waltzin' Thru Walmart" or "Home on the Road" will be.....Cliff and his uke unplugged....

That would be interesting  ;D

Aye, IZ was really special. I doubt your voice can get any closer to IZ's than mine can  ;D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom