Side Braces for slides vs. Kingpin stabalizer on a 5er

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elm_tx

The dwf saw an ad for slide braces (similar to the tri-pods we've seen hooked up to Kingpins). My guess is to minimize side to side movement. She is chomping at the bit thinking we need them, I'm a bit more skeptical. I can feel movement as we walk around inside the 5er, but nothing major.

Are there any real advantages/disadvantages to getting slide braces?

Thanks,
Eddie

i don't know a thing about slide braces which is what you asked. 

But on my last trip, I happened to back my TT into a spot such that the screw down stabilizers were sitting over a curb at the back of the trailer.  I only had to crank down my stabilizers about 3-4 inches.  I was amazed how much less movement we had in the TT.  I am now thinking I will make some light weight wooden blocks or "benches" to place between the ground and the stabilizers for the next trip.  I suspect that the trailer will be much more steady if I don't have to crank the stabilizers down so far.

Jake

You don't need braces under the slides.  They were somewhat popular quite a few years ago when some slides were not so well designed, but most any modern rig easily supports its slideouts.

If you are experiencing an objectionable amount of movement, try these things:

(1) Crank your rear stabilzers down more firmly and use boards underneath to provide a firm base
(2) Add a  kingpin stabilizer
(3) Use locking chocks between the trailer wheels, e.g. a BAL locking chock

elm_tx said:
The dwf saw an ad for slide braces (similar to the tri-pods we've seen hooked up to Kingpins). My guess is to minimize side to side movement. She is chomping at the bit thinking we need them, I'm a bit more skeptical. I can feel movement as we walk around inside the 5er, but nothing major.

Are there any real advantages/disadvantages to getting slide braces?

Thanks,
Eddie

I don't understand it. We've had two fifth wheels. Have never had a movement problem with the front jacks down and the rear stabilizers out. Whenever we did get any movement, it was because the rear stabilzers where not down far enough. I always level the fiver side to side first. Next, level fore and aft with the front jacks. Next extend the stabilizers and after that extend the slides. Will go back and check the rear stabilizers again after all that is done. Will do those steps even when not disconnecting the tow vehicle on an overnight stop, i.e., just lower the front jacks enough to have weight on them and also lower the rear stabilizers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom