...Someone mentioned 4 letter word...IRS - Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BobNSam

During my working years, we ran afoul of a state (Delaware) law/rule when we stayed in a hotel/motel over 30 days. The state of Delaware considered this to be establishing residence and initiated paperwork to force us to pay state income/property and other state taxes. Turns out the hotel/motel is required to report long term residence of folks.
I was wondering if any travelers, long term visitors, etc. have got caught up in anything similar? Do RV parks have to report long term residence at their parks?
Do workcampers have to file residency/income taxes in the states they workcamp?
A friend is entering into an extended full time/travel with long stops schedule and we were talking about it. Any experience or info is appreciated.
Bob

Rules vary from state to state, however due to membership camping I never stay in one place for more than 14 days.

I'm told Nevada has some rather interesting laws in this area.. (Thread in another forum).

And several other states chimed in.

Best advice: MOVE.

With the state that the economy is in, the states and the Feds will do whatever they need to do to get as much Dung Out of a Buffalo Nickel.....

We typically stay at least a month in most places and have found that the taxes on the rent can be different on monthlies, i.e. the hotel/motel tax, if it applies. We have also had to fill out "lease" type applications when we stay longer than 30 days in several cases. All of this varies by location. We have actually had to pay the condo tax (often called a hospitality tax) in the Gulf Shores area when individually owned RV lots came under the local condo laws. It's complicated.

But in the seventeen states we have resided in over the last three years of full timing, we have never come in contact with any "residency" issues. That's not to say it won't happen, but we have yet to experience it.

I don't think many states have regulations requiring RV parks to report longer term guests, but it's possible. Most states regulate RV parks under their hotel/motel regulations, so if they are doing that with motels, it might apply to parks in those states too.

As you know, tax laws vary from state to state, and being a resident for one purpose doesn't necessarily make you a resident for other purposes. For example, you might be required to get a driver license in that state but not be eligible to attend the state university as a "resident".

Some friends who have workamped in Connecticut says that state is very aggressive about identifying guest workers and taxing them. CT taxes ALL your income for whatever part of the year you are considered a tax-paying resident, so more than just local income is at stake.

Back
Top Bottom