Removing roof storage pod that is glued down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A

AmeDeBoheme

Hi!  We are trying to remove a storage pod from the roof of our 1983 Pace Arrow.  The roof I believe is a fiberglass material, and the storage pod is plastic or fiberglass.  It is screwed into the roof, but also seems to be glued/sealed with an adhesive sealant of some kind.  I removed the screws, but it won't come up.  Any ideas?  I am worried a crow bar or some other 'brute force' path might rip up chunks of the roof, but I feel like others must have encountered this problem at some point & am hoping you all have some thoughts!

Many thanks!

-B

We have removed a couple of large satellite base plates that were glued down with putty and Dicor and what seemed to work best was applying a continuous lifting pressure while using a blade of some sort to work on the adhesive.

IIRC  we used a piece of wood as a fulcrum to protect the roof.

I've not tried this, but have thought it would be the way I'd tackle removing something "stuck down" to the roof of the coach. A PVC cable saw like this used carefully might cut through the adhesive, allowing the pod to be lifted off. Might need some help using the 'lifting pressure' that Jeff mentioned.

Jeff - this worked fantastically. Thanks for the advice. Got it off cleanly and smoothly....cleaned and sealed up the holes. Now the solar panels will have plenty of un-shaded space to call home!

Back
Top Bottom