Machine Guns and Ants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

inscop

Alpine, California up the hill a bit east of San D
We (Ray and Rose) took the Forest River FR3 out this weekend to the San Mateo State Park.  It is part of the San Onofre (Ohn NO fray) State Beach http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=647 and it is right across the I-5 from the San Clemente State Beach.

I guess our first hint should have been the diatomaceous earth circles on the paved driveway.  When we woke up Sunday morning, we had been invaded by ants.  I went outside and found where they were coming in by climbing our leveling jacks.  So, next time, I will have my own bag of DE, not to mention putting a nice, thick circle of grease around the bottom of the jacks.

Did I mention that this camp ground is on the north edge of Camp Pendleton?  I have fond memories of marching all over those same hills when I was a young trooper on my way to Sunny Viet Nam.  So, anyway, there we are peacefully snoozing away Saturday night sometime after midnight when I hear the unmistakable staccato burst from a fifty caliber machine gun.  Had I not realized where we were, I think I would have come unglued.  The next day we got the binos out and made a game of watching the Marines play war at the Afghan village, driving around in HumVees and generally just having a great time.

Your window receipt allows you to visit the campgrounds and day use areas for San Clemente, San Onofre and probably Doheny SB, and we took advantage of that.  The views from the cliffs are amazing.  Since my wife came from work instead of being towed in, she had to pay $15 bucks a day for her car.  It was worth it.  Not only did we visit the other beaches, but that night, we took a drive down El Camino Real to the Bull Taco joint http://www.bulltaco.com/site/locations/ and had some great Mexican chow.  Do NOT order more than one burrito per person.  I had to finish it for lunch the next day. 

Next trip:  Cuyamaca SP.

Now you see how difficult it is to keep an undocumented ant from crossing your border 8)
I assumed INS Cop is your vocation ;D

We keep ant traps out as s precaution because we never know when we will be invaded next.

Back
Top Bottom