Women full timers - is it safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
woodartist said:
I still am concerned that our rational minds don't think like a drugged upped addict...or the criminally insane. We all see that on a daily basis on TV. Lots of creeps out there ::)

You are correct, to a drug addict there is no YOURS and Mine, (Speaking from his viewpoint now) there is only MINE, you may have it temporally but it's MINE MINE MINE so I can get more drugs (Back to normal viewpoint)

Again, you might notice in my earlier post I was not long on gender reference (Save for the part where I spoke of a RV-er "Babe" and taking on someone less able to defend themselves) He don't care either

And you might notice in the wal-mart incident it was SHE who capped him while he was fighting with her man.

(A very good singer I know has a song called "The Female Of The Species" and the general point is contained in the following joke?

How to tell if a Grizzly bear is male or female:

Run TOWARD it yelling and screaming like a crazy man... If it runs from you it's a male

Student: But what if it's a female?"    Teacher: Then,,,, Then you are it's lunch.

The female of the species is more deadly than the male.... 'specially when you threaten the offspring.

However folks who have fried their brains on drugs... don't think, period

chrpennings said:
Neva,

If you consider buying a new motorhome negotiate and shoot for at least between 20-30% off the M.S.P.R. Be sure your the dealer is giving you the factory MSPR price.

Good luck,

Chris from the Bay area

Thanks Chris.  I like to use "rule of thumb" figures.  It makes it easier.

As a man I wish to tell you I have the utmost respect for your choice.  I would do it alone but I would be apprehensive.  I suspect you will be fine almost anywhere you go and I suspect you know the places not to go.  As others have said be aware of what is around you but do not let it spoil your travels and fun.  When fear rides with you it makes for a terrible companion.  Live life to the fullest and just be aware in the process.

Neva said:
Marsha, I believe I'll follow your advice about the singles thing.  I hadn't thought about doing something like that. 

Neva,

There are some Yahoo groups for single RV people. 

RV-Singles
RVingSingles
SOLO-NET

PhilB

Hi Neva,

I also am full-timing solo in California. Where are you? I'm in Santa Clara/San Jose. I've driven across the country from Ottawa, Ont to San Jose, CA three times back and forth in nothing but my pickup truck. I stopped at rest areas and truck stops for sleep and was on the road driving the rest of the time. I didn't talk to anyone or make any big deal out of it so no one paid much attention to me at all. I pay attention to license plates, but not everyone else does, so unless someone would have made it a point to check out my out of state plate, I just look like a normal person going from point A to point B. Now that I'm in California, I've got my little RV that I'm living in.

I'm very quiet. I don't go broadcasting in any way that I'm travelling or living alone. I don't talk to anyone except if I need help or directions that I can't get from calling a friend. I scout out potential areas in the daytime first or try them out for a night. If I feel that I need to make it known that I'm not alone, I can say just before shutting the door "I'll be right back." or something to that effect letting anyone that might be paying any attention think that I'm not alone. So far, I have not had to do that.

I do not stay in CG's. I stay at Walmart or other parking areas with other RV units and stay quiet. Usually I don't get out of my MH, unless I need to go into the store for something. There are other people sleeping there by themselves also, so I'm not alone that way. Since I'm only there for a place to sleep, I'm really not setting up "camp" at all. I go there at night, sleep, wake up and go to work.

If you're in my area, give me a shout. I don't drink coffee, but we can hook up for a visit if you're interested.

B.L., having lived in the Bay area for 26 years, including 10 in San Jose/West Valley, I'd say be very careful about overnighting in parking lots. Although I didn't see any issues in our part of town, San Jose is renowned for gangs of oriental bad guys. My admin assitant came to work one day and told me one such gang had set her car on fire in the driveway for no apparent reason.

Tom said:
B.L., having lived in the Bay area for 26 years, including 10 in San Jose/West Valley, I'd say be very careful about overnighting in parking lots. Although I didn't see any issues in our part of town, San Jose is renowned for gangs of oriental bad guys. My admin assitant came to work one day and told me one such gang had set her car on fire in the driveway for no apparent reason.
Tom,

Do you know that San Jose is listed as one of  the larger safest places in the US. (probably after you left). ;D

chris, ( 28 years almaden vallye,san jose)

I'm sure things got safer after I left Chris, but remember we're not that far away  ;D

I'd think that Almaden valley would be much safer than, say, east San Jose.

Yes, I've heard of problems around the area. I wouldn't say I'm necessarily in a safe area as anything can happen anywhere, but I'm not in those particular bad areas and stay away from downtown where most action happens in any city.
I'm not sure what part of San Jose I'm in, but I think I'm at the north because I'm on the borders of Santa Clara, Milpitas, Sunnyvale and San Jose around 237/101/880. I think the boundaries are funny around the edges and so I must be on one of those funny boundaries. Weekends bring a change of scenery as I choose a different place and sometimes go to Santa Cruz. It's awesome to spend the night at the ocean.
Walmart has security that goes around the parking lot quite often and goes by where all the RV's are parked.
I usually park where there are other campers. My areas are pretty quiet thankfully.
I keep my cellphone charged and close by. It's also my alarm clock too so it's on 24/7. I don't set anything up or take things out and leave them lying around so I'm ready to go first thing in the morning.

Understand where you are. That triangle might even overlap into Mountain View on the NW corner. If you go a few miles further north on the west side of the bay you arrive at East Palo Alto, at one time considered one of the worst violent crime neighborhoods in CA. Be sure to wear a flack jacket if you venture up there. Milpitas is on the east side of your triangle. (We  lived in Milpitas for 6 months, but moved when our lease was up). SE of your triangle (aka east SJ) is the area I previously mentioned as potentially problematic, not downtown.

Reality is that there are good and bad areas, but the boundaries are not well defined. Unfortunately, the days of acres and acres of fruit orchards in the Santa Clara Valley are long gone, replaced by a very high density of people, industry, housing and automobiles. Ready access to freeways in that area might offer more incentive for crime (easy getaway), although obviously not at commute times.

When I found out that one of my newbie employees (a college recruit) was sleeping in his car not too far from your triangle, I went ballistic. I was truly terrified for his safety. I had numerous employees and even my wife searching for affordable housing, which is a bit of an oxymoron in the valley. I had him put up in a hotel until we found an acceptable/affordable apartment.

Could/would your employer help out, possibly allowing you to overnight in their gated/secure lot (assuming they have one)? You might even be able to use their showers and other facilities, reducing the frequency of having to find a place to dump. Not quite the same but, when I worked in Santa Clara, I'd drive the motorhome to work on Friday morning; The security guards kept an open space for me and kept an eye on the coach during the day. We weren't sleeping there though - we were headed out for the weekend. But it's an example of how you might get added security in your situation.

Only you can decide where you feel safe.

I don't go into Mountainview at all to sleep... too far. And I don't go into East SJ. I stay very close to my work during the week.
Work helped by kicking me out of the parking lot as soon as I got the van. I think I lasted a couple days/nights before that happened.
I was there for two months in my truck with no problem, but they didn't realize I guess and it was nice and inconspicuous.
They said for my own safety, but I think it was more to do with their liability if something happened while on the property.

I have been alone all my life, even during childhood with working parents (daycare?  in the 50s?), so I have no concept of any other existence.  I have been a fulltimer for over 4 years now.  Most of my adult life was spent living and working in downtown Chicago.  It never occurs to me to be afraid.  I'm vigilant.  A lot of personal safety is attitude. 

What I've wondered lately, though, is why so many RVers carry weapons.  Mostly guns from what I hear.  It is not an option as far as I'm concerned.  I'm not going to shoot someone.  Most of the time the punishment doesn't fit the crime.  And I'm definitely one of those people whose gun will more likely be used against her.  I'm a fighter and never in the mood to be hassled.  I get the impression that people who do carry guns must feel somewhat helpless, that they are in danger or this is a dangerous lifestyle.  This is WAY milder than my old neighborhood.

--pat

Why do so many RVers carry guns (Well, I do admit I haver a grees gun (For lubricating jacks) and an oil gun (likewise) and a solering pistol and a glue gun or two, and some air guns (hot and cold) and a water gun.. Oh, you meant firearms, don't have any of those, might be tempted to use them and I really don't care to do that)

I think there are a few resons for that.  One is that RVers tend to be an independent lot, and sometimes this leads to the ability to defend yourself, forcefully if necessary.  Another is that for many folks at some point in their life the RV was a hunting cabin on wheels (My last RV was it's previous owner's hunting cabin on wheels).  And more and more in the world today, as the government tightens the controls on guns... Folks are invoking their 2nd amendment rights.  In fact the one thing I see that more than anything else motovates me toward buying a firearm is the government attacks on my 2nd amendment rights.  (I may some day buy some firearms just to protect those rights... now AMMO.. Don't want no stinking ammo, but might be nice having the gun)

When it comes to personal safety, RVing is like so many things... You park in a campground where most of the RVs (or for that matter MANY of the rv's) look trashy... Worry.  You park amoung reletively new, well cared for Class A's, (Espically those occupied by members of this forum) and upper level 5th wheels... Don't worry

You park where My class A is parked just now (My own back yard) WORRY! (next door neighbor does drugs)

JID:

Your parking recommendations remind me of the place I tried last winter in AZ.  The first thing the manager told me was to be sure everything, including my small runabout bicycle was locked all the time, because people in the neighborhood jump over the wall and break in.  Not an auspicious start. 

The few people whom I've heard discuss their guns do say they have them for protection, which caused me to wonder about this lifestyle.  Since I stay in affordable but nice parks such as those you recommend, that's where I meet the gun owners.

--pat

Well, Pat, living as I do just now in a City, many homeowners will tell you that their guns are there "For Protection" as well

I've lived 28 years in Detroit (As of tomorrow) and I've never owned a gun.  My next door neighbor is a drug dealer, and I've never owned a gun (He has been reported). Now, I can take a gun apart, put it back together and shoot rather straight.  I have even put back together a gun someone else took apart and had it work properly.  But I don't own a gun and except for target shooting, don't care to use them.

So, what does that say:

What is the best protection... A good mind.  (Scene, tv show McGuyver,  He is in his bosses office many stories up in an office building, an attacker is launching flying kicks at his head.  Mac ducks.  Finally the attacker launches an attack over the top of the desk Mac is ducking behind, he ducks, attacker, now ballistic, continues over his head, through the window and ceases all hostilities many stories later after making one last impression (on the pavement below)

Now that's defense)

JID:

That's the fun thing about living in the city.  Interesting neighbors. 

--pat

Well Pat, we have guns and will pull the trigger if needed. If some drug head or criminal ( or both) tries to break in it is a done deal. I know there is an anti gun group as well as a pro gun group. Heck I worked with a fellow who was anti gun and after his house was broken into, his wife shot with a 12 gauge, pellets cut the phone line, he is now on the "other" side. Heck, I'd hate to even knock on his door at night :)

At any rate, I'd rather be in the position to defend my self than not. We do a lot of dry camping and haven't had a problem. But we have in campgrounds and Wal Mart lots. Heck, shoot outs in one campground ( Davis Camp, AZ).............

So much for campgrounds being safer...  :-\
Main thing is to have your wits about you, however you just can't be on guard all the time. When you close your doors and curtains, who knows what can go on a very short distance away. And that's anywhere...

Pat said:
JID:

That's the fun thing about living in the city.  Interesting neighbors. 

--pat

Yup, that it is, and one of the reasons I'll be glad when this house is no longer mine

To be honest I have not had a good knock down, drag out, fight in over 30 years, last time was in High school when 3 bulies teamed up on me, lowered their heads, and went to sleep.  (Well, they planned on head butting me but since I'd moved [at the last second] they had a "Meeting of the minds" instead... and by the time they recovered.  I'd moved even farther, much farther.  I think the brick wall behind me assisted by adding it's thoughts to the mind meld too)

I really don't like the gun discussion as it pulls folks apart.  Its sort of like talking politics and religion.  I do carry tools.  I have a drill for drilling and a screwdriver for screws and a hammer for nails.  I even have wrenches and sockets for nuts and bolts.  I have a gun for protection.  All of these tools I hope to not have to use as it generally speaks to something wrong.  We all carry different tools in our chests and that seems to sum it up.  Finally if you do not have a hammer or screwdriver I will loan it to you or fix it for you.  If you are a fellow RVer I will be there for you in any way I can to help.  We share a lifestyle that speaks to the person, the road and  freedom.  Let us embrace our similarities rather than dwell on our differences.

Phil     

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom