Working as a contractor, delivering RVs w/ 3/4 or 1 ton pickup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doug_FL

A transport company is advertising for contractors, to deliver RVs. They have a contract with a major RV company. I would need a HD pickup truck, which would cost over $30K, to pull RVs. I'm wondering if this is something that will work (ie get paid enough to cover the cost of a new truck, along with some compensation for my time). I also wonder if I would get steady work.

Compensation is pretty good per mile according to what they claim in their ad.  I would need to make that much money just enough to pay for the truck and my expenses. Anyone ever done this?

You will also need a CDL (Commercial Drivers Licence) and the appropriate insurance from whatever state you call home.

Doug_FL said:
Compensation is pretty good per mile according to what they claim in their ad.  I would need to make that much money just enough to pay for the truck and my expenses. Anyone ever done this?

Suggest you contact that company for the details - specifically what your financial outlay would be against the compensation they advertise. I've talked to a few doing this and according to them it is very hard to make a living doing it. And the reason is that they had to buy the gas, they could not use the RV to sleep overnight, and a number of other expense items. PLus you are now needing appropriate insurance, and so forth.

You are hauling one way - so you have the expense of getting back to pick up another unit. One fellow that drove MH's across country pulled a small car that he and his wife drove back each time - whereas you would driving a 1 ton dually?

This has come up before here so perhaps a Search with proper key words would find more info.

Be very, VERY careful before you jump into this.  The likelihood of you turning a profit let alone paying for your equipment costs are very low as a beginner.  Have the company provide you with some contact information for a couple of their contract tranporters and talk to them.

A 3/4 ton truck is not going to be very adequate, most transporters use 1 ton and dually.  I'm not saying it couldn't be done but don't start out undersized it will just bite you down the road.  As far as the CDL is concerned you won't need it for the truck but since a LOT of 5th wheels weigh more then 10k that's where you'll need the CDL.  Your truck will also need a commercial license apportioned to the appropriate state as well as an IFTA permit.  There's a BUNCH of expenses involved here not the least of which will be insurance which you will be required to pay for.

Go into this "eyes wide open".  I've investigated doing it for the same reasons you've mentioned.  I already own a paid for medium duty truck and drive for a living, the numbers just don't add up to much other than a break even.  That's one of the reasons that driver retention for the RV manufacturers is so low and that jobs are always available.

Good Luck

Licensing and insurance are the big problems.  Plus, dead heading home.  I had a friend who bought a dually to haul our of Elkhart and was required to have a 1T with class A CDL.  They felt it was required to have a semi drivers license to haul their trailers, over 10,000#.  On the plus side, you are allowed to take the test in your pickup if you have a heavy trailer on it for the test. 

The other issue you will run in to as an independent with them is that they have contracts with "fleet" owners, i.e. those who have more than one truck, and hire someone else to do the driving, etc. The "fleet" owners have to keep their fleet running, and since they have people and equipment, the contractor generally gives them "preference" on dispatches. They will take care of a guy with 4 or 5 trucks before a guy with 1. I would be very careful. Ask a lot of questions. And get it all in writing.

Just my 2?.

We just met a guy at a rest stop, who was delivering a TT from Indiana to Newfoundland.  We didn't chat too long, because he was on an insane delivery schedule (IMHO).  He said he wouldn't do it again.  The schedule was too arduous, and he is not allowed to sleep in the trailer - doesn't even have the keys for it.  They were shipped ahead.

Had a fiend that did this for 5 years. Got into it after he retired for something to do, travel the country, and make a little spending cash. This was back '99-2005, so costs are significantly more than they were then. He had to furnish the truck--1-ton dually. Also had to install the accessories, as in the hitches (fifth wheel, goose neck adapter, and weight distributing for TT), and wiring for 12 volt for trailers with no batteries ( to work the jacks, etc). Also the truck needs commercial plates, and the commercial drivers license. The first couple years he did it alone, stating he really didn't make any money until tax refund time. When his wife retired, they would take a trailer and a motorhome that were both going to roughly the same area. Drop off the MH, then deliver the trailer. Then either dead head back, or since the original plan was to see the country, stay and vacation for awhile and see the sights. After 5+ years health issues forced a change. Plus with over 600k on the truck it would have to be replaced at a substantial cost in order to continue.

I remember him telling me that those that made a living doing this had to treat it as a long haul trucking job. On the road 7-10 weeks at a time, always looking for something to haul back to cut fuel costs. For him it was an excuse to see the country on someone else's dime so to speak. Got to remember they pay "loaded mile" which means paid one way. They have set miles from point a to point b, and in his case I believe he was paid 1/3 up front, and the rest on return. Then the stories about the extreme difficulties dealing with certain dealerships was eye opening at best. Also stories about stopping every so often to pick up trailer parts as they fall off, breaking down on the side of the road, etc.

So yes, talk to some actual drivers, get all the info you can from the company, try to be as informed as you can.

www.atbsshow.com/transportation  and www.ooida.com are two great resources to check this out.  But with Ooida I don't think you'll be able to talk to business services unless you're a member.  Try first.  They are usually $45 to join, but I think in addition to ATBS I'd want to talk to both of them before I jumped into this business.  But you can tell them you were given number 408059 to get a OOIDA membership for only $25.  I think it would be money well spent.

ATBS is a transportation accountant, which regularly publishes expense averages for different segments of the transportation industry.

Y'all must be looking at dealer prices for these trucks - I see a lot of contractors and companies selling their trucks private party on Craigslist and such, and have seen tons of diesel F350, 450, 550, duallies, etc for under $15k and under $10k, sometimes well under.  They have probably bought new rigs and been offered squat by the dealers for trade in.  Or gone out of business, or divorced, or....  A screaming deal is a screaming deal, doesn't matter why it came to you unless it's something illegal.

Yes, they're used but they are built for severe duty.  Have them thoroughly checked by a competent truck mechanic and then take a few of the many thousands saved and invest in some upgrades and maintenance.

Personally, I have ZERO interest in a warranty and would prefer to save thousands or tens of thousands on purchase price, get a simpler older vehicle which has probably had all of the off-the-lot kinks worked out of it, then be able to customize it and still come out ahead, with all that extra $ in the bank for any maintenance down the road.

YMMV.

Sounds like a tough business though, not something to go into lightly, especially if you're planning on substantial investment to get started. 

Do a search first! I bet there are more haulers available then RV's to haul.
Just my 2 cents.

Scott  :)

workerdrone said:
Y'all must be looking at dealer prices for these trucks - I see a lot of contractors and companies selling their trucks private party on Craigslist and such, and have seen tons of diesel F350, 450, 550, duallies, etc for under $15k and under $10k, sometimes well under.

I have never seen used cars & trucks as a good value for the consumer. I'm sure there are exceptions. But, what happens with a lot of good used vehicles is they are sold to another family member or friend. The junk ones are on CraigsList or traded-in to dealers. Back in the 1980s, I bought used cars. They never saved me money. In fact they cost more long term. Because of their short life and the repair expenses along the way. I saved money when I would buy a new Toyota on a loss leader (ie new Tacoma $12K, 1 at this price). I would get to the dealer at opening and say where is this truck, in the newspaper ad, I want to buy it. I bought two that way. It worked out very well.  Chevy & Ford dealers do that as well. It takes patients but you can make it work. Such ads are now also on web sites.

On the other hand, the Ford 7.3L PS Diesel was a real good truck. If I could find a good used one. Same goes for the 5.9L TD in Ram pickups. But, I
have not seen low prices on them in ads. Maybe I need to look some more.

I think the situation is a lot different now vs the 80's. Back then, you were lucky if a new vehicle lasted 5 years and many folks traded in 2-3 years cause so many were vehicles were dying young. But now you can buy a 6-7 year vehicle with 75,000 miles on it and fully expect to run it another 60-75k mostly trouble-free miles, plus the interior probably isn't falling apart and the paint isn't flaking off either.

Doug_FL said:
On the other hand, the Ford 7.3L PS Diesel was a real good truck. If I could find a good used one. Same goes for the 5.9L TD in Ram pickups. But, I
have not seen low prices on them in ads. Maybe I need to look some more.

They just aren't out there....at least not in my neck of the woods.  What I'm finding are 7 year old diesel pickups with 130K miles that they still want $28K for.  That's 2/3 of what they cost new....why not buy new and let ME put the first 100K on it?  I also don't have a clue how ( or if ) they used ones were maintained.  Yes, I know...the diesels will go 400K miles...but the rest of the truck is still a 130K mile truck.

Anything under $18K or so has 200K plus and is beat to a bloody pulp, has a salvage title, is bubbafied, etc.  The one exception is 6.0 Powerstrokes, and I wouldn't take one for free.  OK, maybe I would for free....then I could just scrap it when the engine grenades.  :)

I'm saving my pennies for a new one, and paying cash.....hopefully end of this year or spring. 

The used vehicle market right now is STUPID!!  My son-in-law is the sales manager at a "Buy Here, Pay Here" lot and I am completely amazed at not only what they're selling cars for but what they're having to pay for those cars at auction or via wholesale from local dealerships.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of buying "New" vehicles.  Unless of course it's a motorcycle then for some reason I wouldn't touch a used one.  But when it comes to a car or truck I'm not real interested in paying the full nut for the privilege of putting the first ding in it.  Besides, the used trucks that I've owned have all had the  bugs worked out by the time I got my hands on them.

I agree Joe....in ordinary circumstances.  Thing is, I do find 1 year old diesel pickups with 12-16K miles....and they're still 90-95% of the cost of new.  If it's only marginally more for me to break it in, why not? 

The other thing is how long do you plan on keeping it?  We typically keep vehicles 10-12 years....sometimes more.  We bought the wife's F150 new in 1996....and it's still her daily driver.  Then again, I'm anal about maintenance and I fix any little thing that breaks.  If it was a "trade it every 4 years" thing, buying new would be insane.  My next new one will take me into retirement and probably way past.  I figure if I buy a new Cummins and maintain it to my standards, it will probably last me the remainder of my days....

One has to be very careful with used vehicles now.  There have been so many flooded vehicles that have been retitled without a savage title because the insurance companies are either lazy or crooked.  I wouldn't purchase a used PU without first removing the door panels to look for the water line.  Flood vehicles are troubled and dangerous vehicles.

My husband was convinced I could buy him a good used truck for way less.  I looked and looked, priced and priced.  In Texas I found all kind of worn out, high mileage trucks that were VERY expensive.  I finally told him it was foolish to go that route anymore and for a few thousand more bought new.

I hate to do it too but vehicles have gotten so expensive they sell for a lot used even.  But then try to get decent money for a trade in, they cut you bigtime on that too.

PatrioticStabilist said:
In Texas I found all kind of worn out, high mileage trucks that were VERY expensive. 

Same here.  The oil field workers are buying them up left and right.  There are none in the Permian Basin area, and they're coming west to El Paso and east to Austin/DFW/San Antonio and snatching them up.  Big time demand, short supply. 

Anything that isn't beat silly and priced through the roof won't be on the market two days. 

Back
Top Bottom