i really feel bad for this guy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
my perception ... was greatly altered ... after watching ... the U.S. Senior Olympics... specifically table tennis (ping pong) competitors in the "over 80" and "over 85" age ranges.  Those old folks were amazing!

Aye Scott, a long-time friend 15 years my senior was a national table tennis champion in her younger days. When mobility prevented competing at the national level, she started her own class coaching younger folks to follow in her footsteps. They were literally breaking down the doors to get into her class. She'd still have fun "competing' with the younger folks, using tricks that they hadn't yet learned.

gc1966 said:
This is why there needs to be a special license to drive a vehicle with a trailer

Or at least some training involved.  Used to be common sense was all that was needed...but that seems to be in short supply these days....

I think the fatal mistake here was actually forcing himself through the tunnel. That was the stupid part (along with ignoring the notices). Once past the tunnel (with a somewhat lighter trailer hehehe ) there really was no more option but to soldier on. Yes if he would have taken a wider swing, using the whole road he would have probably made the corner. I'm gonna guesstimate that if the trailer isn't classed as 'totaled' by his insurance, it'll be close. As for the age question.....in my experience stupidity has no age requirements.

I've been to the Black Hills area and heeded all warnings and signs. Even sent for a map before leaving home. I never traveled Needles highway due to the fact I wasn't sure I was gonna get my dually through the tunnels let alone my 5'er.

i have to add why i feel sorry for him now LOL

but as for the multiple signs warning him not to go            i have came on to signs like this that love to be at the last turn around  and you happen to see the signs at the last min at 45mpr  but have to keep going tell you can find some where to turn  65 feet rig around    and that turnaround may never come

and if it was a old man that was getting to the age  .. i well just stop there  its still sad to think it may have been his last or his first time  out 

after i think for a  min if  i just did a new roof job on a tunnel i dont think i would be thinking right for the next move i would be to upset

Trailer traveler said:
It is not uncommon on several websites for "experts" to claim they have driven their large RV's over roads like the one shown and even dirt ones like the Moki Dugway (UT-261).
I watched a 45' Tour West America tour bus descend the Moki Dugway.  As it made the final turn at the bottom I noticed it had rear wheel steering.  A nice option for making those hairpin turns.

Attachments

• Tour bus descending Moki Dugway.JPG
    Tour bus descending Moki Dugway.JPG
    243 KB · Views: 65
Jeff said:
And I wondered why Progressive wanted to raise our rates.  ::)

And I thought is was just a conspiracy by Progressive and the other insurance companies against me.  They did raise mine.  :mad:

Most people don't start reading signs until they start driving a high profile vehicle or something like this happens to them.

Just Lou said:
He had already come through that underpass/tunnel and scraped off one air conditioner and ripped off his awning.  He didn't have too many alternatives on the curve, and I'm sure, was so rattled that he couldn't possibly make a "good" decision.  Backing up, at that point, was not an option I guess.

Precisely my thoughts.

Bruce

Either way, it just gives me a sick feeling in my stomach to see that. Reminds me of the time that I pulled into a National park in Nevada that had not had any maintenance in a long time. We had only had our 5ver for less than a year in 2000.  The roads were narrow and gravel.  After we couldn't find a spot we could fit into, we had no choice than to drive out via the narrow one way road.  When I got to our next destination I found that I had snagged a branch and tore a big hole in my roof.  I was devastated.....

99WinAdventurer37G said:
And I thought is was just a conspiracy by Progressive and the other insurance companies against me.  They did raise mine.  :mad:

Most people don't start reading signs until they start driving a high profile vehicle or something like this happens to them.
Your rates went up because the spend $400K+ to avoid paying a $40K claim

Frizlefrak said:
Highway 15 north of Silver City, NM going toward the Gila Wilderness is clearly marked (several times) no trailers beyond 21'.  Heed the warning.  It's a gorgeous drive, but it will result in what you see in the video above if you try it with a big trailer. 

My dad drove his 24' Pace Arrow "A" up that road in '76 so we could explore the dwellings. We didn't get stuck anywhere, but that road is marked for a reason.  I remember getting out at the rangers station and having an old ranger who was working there who was in disbelief that we made it up that road without issue.

I wasn't going to go for a repeat performance in '04 in my 24'. The south road to/from Yosemite was enough for me.

Good tag line about common sense there Joe and Carol.  And here is another.

As I grow older I see more and more evidence that common sense... is not all that common.

1joester2 said:
My dad drove his 24' Pace Arrow "A" up that road in '76 so we could explore the dwellings. We didn't get stuck anywhere, but that road is marked for a reason.  I remember getting out at the rangers station and having an old ranger who was working there who was in disbelief that we made it up that road without issue.

I wasn't going to go for a repeat performance in '04 in my 24'. The south road to/from Yosemite was enough for me.

Getting up to the Cliff Dwellings is much easier if you take hwy 61 through Mimbres and hook back into 15 just past Lake Roberts.  Still a very pretty drive too.

I feel for the guy . I have driven my old motorhome pulling my car all over the western mountains without a issue but not paying attention for a second can get a person into trouble . I was just down to Custer State Park and while driving to Keystone I came into a hill to slow and when I crested I was doing about 5 miles an hour with pedal to the metal in low gear and rocking in my seat to help it crest the hill . I hate to think the problem I would have had if I hadn't made the hill  .

terry735001 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icXipapYSmg

good thing is so many ppl stop to help  as they could have just turn around and left

but i do think of one thing  i see so many ask  on websites like this one  can i get my Rv down this road 

after looking at the post they get back its all ways 50/50 and ppl saying yes and no 

i hope this guy was not part of the 50/50

I couldn't get the Youtube picture to start up, is there something else I need to click on for the video to start up?

Wagonmaster2 said:
I couldn't get the Youtube picture to start up, is there something else I need to click on for the video to start up?

Do you have javascript enabled? Those using Noscript (or disabling javascript) must constantly be aware of this need on many sites.

Back
Top Bottom