Tool to make repairing an RV easier

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragvw2180

My wife Sue and I took this week off and went down to repair some vandalism damage done to our travel trailer and also camp in our replacement motorhome. A few months ago our TT was broken into during a bad storm and they broke out some windows, of course we did not know about it until we went down to spend the weekend and found the mess . I immediately called and had the windows replaced and called the BS insurance company and that is another bad story in itself.
              Basically there was bad water damage and the wood under the carpeting and kitchen flooring was bad in spots. We removed the damaged flooring , three spots were absolutely mush even after drying it out with fans so I had to replace those sections. I had never repaired RV flooring before so having no fear and little common sense I decided to repair it myself. I chalk lined the damaged area making my corners square along with going beyond the damaged area to ensure I got it all. I cut it as close as I could to my cabinets and figured I would have to remove them all , this after sitting there and staring at it for a few hours,LOL . About this time my son called me and told me about this vibrating saw he bought to do some repairs on his kitchen and how well it worked for tight spots, a light bulb turned on inside my head and I begged him to bring it over, WOW is all I can say.  I ran the blade between the bottom of the cabinets into some hidden staples and trimmed out wood that needed replacing with it in seconds . Here is a demo of a simular tool but it works the exact same way, bought mine at LOWES after using my sons ,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ9dy8NIHgw
            To make this story as short as possible the repairs were easier by far using this tool for cutting and trimming the old flooring along with trimming the new wood . Just in case anyone reads this,LOL , I figured out that if I laminated a 7" piece of plywood under the floor and extended half of it beyond the joint using contact cement and screws that I countersunk into the top flooring that the floor would be stronger than originally manufactured. I used contact cement on all the contact points for the flooring also and no squeaks or movement were seen anywhere. Hope this helps someone else.

Dang it! I have just about every tool I have bought over the last 40 years and now I need to go out and buy another.  ;D

LOL  I am a retired automobile mechanic and have alot of tools but there is always a new one around the corner. Harry was your experiances the same as mine with the tool ? Mike McCarthy

I bought the Harbor Freight version a couple of years ago and it's great.  One word of warning, though - the noise level from the oscillating blade in close quarters is deafening.  Make sure you use hearing protection.

I bought one a couple of years ago. I used it for almost everything. It is the handiest tool I ever owned.I moved up a little ended up getting the battery powered Craftsman version and haven't used the Harbor Freight one since. The battery powered one is even safe for cutting water pipes in close quarters.

I remember the eleventy thousand dollar one the ortho doc used to cut the cast off my leg 28 years ago and thinking I could use one of them!

Bill

Thanks for the info! Being old school myself, they sure have some nifty tools out these days!

Scott  :)

Since I do flooring, I went with the best- Fein. Glad I did. I have had a couple of dremels and they just don't hold up

i have a Fien also, its indispensable for finish carpentry and remodeling.
I bought my dad a Rigid from Home Depot that has interchangeable heads that look pretty handy for a non professional. 

I don't know how many people have told me I wasted money buying a Fein tool. I tell them two things, first there weren't any other choices when I bought mine, the patent was still in effect. Second, my hands can still feel and my ears can still hear after I do a few hours of sanding around the window frames on my boat with the Fein. With the cheap ones the vibration and noise is horrendous. One of my buddies has a cheap one which only works at one speed now. Mine still works perfectly with many many more hours than his. I expect it to be a lifetime tool which makes the initial cost much more attractive.

Ken

bucks2 said:
I don't know how many people have told me I wasted money buying a Fein tool. I tell them two things, first there weren't any other choices when I bought mine, the patent was still in effect. Second, my hands can still feel and my ears can still hear after I do a few hours of sanding around the window frames on my boat with the Fein. With the cheap ones the vibration and noise is horrendous. One of my buddies has a cheap one which only works at one speed now. Mine still works perfectly with many many more hours than his. I expect it to be a lifetime tool which makes the initial cost much more attractive.

Ken

exactly!  i gave used a few different ones.  the dremel brand has to be the worst one i have used.  after 3 minutes my hands hurt too much to continue. 
the ridgid one wasnt too bad, and the bosch was ok.  the rest i wouldnt even use.

A quality tool is always worth the money if you use it much, and an extra joy even if you don't get a lot of use from it.  I bought the cheap Harbor Freight multi-tool for what I thought was a one-time small project but like it so much I now wish I had a better quality one. That said, the Harbor Freight tool is one of their more durable ones, holding up well through several rugged jobs so far. But yes, it vibrates a lot and is thus rather noisy and harder to do precision work.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom