Yellowstone Was Great

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roadhappy

We just finished our Vacation to Arches National Park, Yellowstone National Park and Grand Tetons National Park.  Can you tell what the theme was to our vacation. ;D

Really enjoyed Arches.  Beautiful landscapes and we can tell, we have to spend a lot more time in Utah.  We got brave after reading the forum and rented a Artic Cat Razor to try some trails and a little rock climbing.  Really enjoyed it until we got down a trail that was a little to much for our skill level and scared the heck out of us!!!

Yellowstone was great as I knew it would be.  We spent 7 days seeing and doing as much as we could and enjoyed every minute.  Stopped by the Book store at Old Faithful and met Pancake Bill and his wife.  Enjoyed our chat and love the fact that we finally got to meet some Framily.

Ended our vacation in the Grand Tetons and what a beautiful view.  We hiked Swan lake and did see swans, owls and hawks.  We saw 3 black bears in Yellowstone and 1 Black bear and 1 grizzly in the Tetons, and 3 grizzly's right outside the Tetons on our way back to Texas.  My only disappointment was, we didn't see any Moose.  We drove all over the Tetons and spent every evening at Oxbow and still came away empty.  Oh well, next trip.

Our trip was great and we enjoyed almost every minute of it. 

Trying to figure out where we will be going next year.  Yes already thinking about next year. ;D ;D

Robin

Robin, to make you feel better, in all the numerous times we have been to the Tetons, we have yet to see a moose at the Oxbow area. We saw a lot if moose on the Snake River outside of the parks over the years and a few times in Yellowstone. I think it is a matter of timing and luck if you ask me!

Many of the Moose have moved down near the Ski area near the residential areas to get away from the wolves.

We are in the Teton area until next week.  Most of the moose we found was in the Kelly Campground off of Kelly road.  We saw a bull, a cow and 2 babies.  We couldn't believe they were just wandering around the campground in and among all the campers.  In fact one guy was sleeping outside in his sleeping bag and woke up to tons of people staring across him looking at moose.

It's been crazy weather up here; heavy thunderstorms every afternoon and evening.  The leaves are changing and it's getting cooler.  We head back to central California and are hoping the temps cool down a bit.

For those reading, a good road to drive to see bear, moose etc is the Moose-Wilson road.  Also besure and visit Bar J Chuck wagon dinner-show.  It was fabulous.

Marsha~

Robin,

It sounds like you had a wonderful trip! We spent 3 weeks in June and July in Yellowstone and the Tetons. We never saw any moose at Oxbow either. Someone in the gift shop at Colter Bay told us there was a bull moose that hung around Dornan's at the junction of Moose-Wilson Rd and Teton Park Rd. We went there several times and didn't see anything. We asked in the gas station, the gift shop, and the restaurant if it was true that a moose hung around there. Everyone told us it was true, and that many times people sitting on the deck in the restaurant could see him walk by. We were pretty disappointed, then on our last day in the park we went by that intersection and saw people running to the bridge over the Snake River, just west of Dornan's. We joined the crowd on the bridge with binoculars and cameras in hand. He was standing in the willows below the bridge, munching on willow tree leaves. He kept going in and out of the trees, and each time there was a good shot, by the time I got the camera focused he was back in the trees. I got some nice pictures of his rear end sticking out of the brush. We stuck it out for over a half hour, all the while watching him steadily move down-river along the bank, soon to be out of range. At the last moment I was able to get this shot.

If you ever go back, its not a myth. He IS there around Dornan's!

Attachments

• Grand Teton National Park 040 resized.JPG
    Grand Teton National Park 040 resized.JPG
    159 KB · Views: 56
If you want to see more of Utah, I would suggest Capitol Reef and Bryce National Parks, Cedar Breaks National Monument, and Goblin State Park.

For moose, about half a day east of Yellowstone, is the Bighorn National Forest. Moose are frequently hanging around in the vicinity of the Sibley Lake camp ground there. They have become quite acclimated to being around people. Initially, that worried me some, but they do not appear to be at all aggressive. I took a video of one cow moose eating. As I was filming, she kept getting closer, to the point where her chewing is audible.

Joel

We kept hearing about different places to see Moose so we would jump in the truck and take off. Never did get lucky enough but as I said maybe next trip.  Going to Mesa Verde next April.  Are there any Moose in Colorado?  ;D

Robin

A great place to spot moose at GTNP is on the back porch of the Jackson Lake Lodge right at sunset. A ranger usually sets up a spotting scope and a crowd will gather.

It always amazes me as to just how large moose really are and how hard they are to see.

SeilerBird said:
A great place to spot moose at GTNP is on the back porch of the Jackson Lake Lodge right at sunset. A ranger usually sets up a spotting scope and a crowd will gather.
I agree.  I saw two cows there in June when I was there.  Also a great place for a light meal and a nite cap.

Back
Top Bottom