Norcold N822LT refrigerator too cold

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arne

In our old rig ice-cream melted in the freezer. In our current 2013 Access orange juice freezes in the fridge regardless of the thermostat setting. Hopefully there is a simple fix, but I don't know what it could be. 

I would appreciate suggestions about how to diagnose and fix the problem.

Thanks.  Arne

Edit by John: changed message icon to Topic Solved

If the thermistor isn't providing a reading to the controller, the Norcold fridges run pretty much flat out. Usually show an error of some sort on the control panel, though. I think on the N822 it is a flashing temperature setting light.

You can view or download a Norcold N-series Service Manual here. It's not hard to read or use.

Thanks, I just downloaded the service manual.  Unfortunately no error code is  displayed.

Yes, the the sensor is attached to a fin.
arne

The location of the sensor (thermistor) on the fin is important. The proper location for your model is probably covered in the Service Manual. Maybe the owner manual too. Often it is located at  the third fin from the right, near the center, but models vary. As you move the thermistor further left or further away from the vertical center, it reads warmer temperatures and thus calls for more cooling. To get less cooling, you generally move it to the right and keep it centered vertically. See if you can confirm that for your particular model.

Thanks. That is very helpful.  Do I count from the left or the right? (The manual does not say).
Arne

I've had thermisters go bad on Norcold's without an error code being displayed.  It's only a $30 part; IMHO it's worth trying.

You count from the right side.

The Norcold 1200's have a diagnostic mode where you can read the thermistor values. Not sure if the N8xx has that feature or not, but it will be in  the service manual if it does.

If the thermistor totally fails, there should be the blinking light that indicates "back-up mode". But if it merely gives incorrect readings, it could cause the cooling unit to run 24/7. Or not at all.

Thank you John, Gary and Docj for your help.  I purchased a "Lamp Thermistor Wire Ass." Part no 618548 for $20 at a local RV shop.  Plug-in took 5 minutes. Problem solved.
  Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom