"Best" over-the-cab bunk in Class A under $120K (MSRP)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emraldlake

We're looking for a Class A.  Since we have two young children, we're considering models with a bunk house floor plan.  However, those models are only a few.  So we don't want to limit our options.  But we really don't want to fold out the dinette/couch every night...  Therefore the quality of a bunk over the cab will be very important.  Would anyone please recommend a Class A model with the best over the cab bunk from your experience?  Specifically, I'm looking for:
1. Comfort (mattress, air bed, etc?)
2. Easy of use
3. Safety
4. Storage

Thanks!

Class A's don't have a bunk over the cab -- that's a class C.  Class A's also generally have fixed, permanent beds, in addition to, sometimes, a foldout couch. I'd look for what works best from a floor plan perspective -- is the kitchen/shower/whatever usable for you? Going for bunks does, of course, limit your choices considerably.

I've heard of some A's with a pull-down bed over the front, but I'm not familiar with which models offer them.  We're extremely pleased with our Tiffin Allegro 35QBA.  With 4 slides and 2 bunks, it's perfect to take along 2 yunkins with plenty of interior space for everyone.  What is your price range/year your looking for?

Gordon

Fleetwood has some new models that have pull-down beds in the cab area. They call it the Hide-a-Loft and it is an option in the floor plans of several models. For example, the Terra 31 and 34 footers have the Hide-a-loft option.

You might have to go with a class C or a "super C" to get what you want. A Super-C is in the Class A size range and has a robust medium truck chassis, but can have the cab-over bunk you are seeking as well as plenty of room elsewhere. Thor makes some nice ones, and so does Jayco (Seneca).

http://www.jayco.com/products/class-c-motorhomes
http://fourwinds-super-c.com/
http://www.nexusrv.com/class-super-c-diesel-motorhomes/super-c-diesel-class-c-motorhome.php

A.C.E. has several models with a drop down front bed. We liked several of them but didn't like or want the drop down bed. It blocks the TV. I think the bunk bed models would work better for you. Or a Class C which has an overcab bed where you can toss the kids and pull the curtains while the adults stay up. Look at lots of models to see which floorplan suits your needs. And be sure to sit in them, pretend it's raining outside and the whole family has to stay inside for several hours.

Enjoy the search
Wendy

I've heard of some A's with a pull-down bed over the front, but I'm not familiar with which models offer them.

An early model with the drop-down bed in front was a Safari Trek but it definitely would not work for you because that's the only bed.  It's better suited to a single person who wants a Class A.

I agree with Wendy.  Class Cs tend to be more family oriented.  Yes, there are some As with bunk beds and they're pretty neat.  Class As do have more storage, comfort, and ease of use but perhaps at this time in your life you might want to start smaller, especially if this is your first motorhome.  It takes living in one for a while to find out what you really like, need, and want.

ArdraF

Winnebago is now offering a drop down bed in the cab area on some of their new models. They call it a StudioLoft. It's available on the 2014 Sightseer, Vista, Trend, Forza, and Via  I know that I would have seriously looked at them myself had they been available a few years back. Coming off from a class C, and being able to sleep so many, it was surprising to me that the class A's didn't seem as family friendly in that regard, hall bunks being the exception, of course. One downside is the loss of cabinet space up front.

Al

We are new to the forum and also to RVing. We just purchased a new 2014 Thor ACE 30.1 which has the drop down bed. Our 3 yr old grandaughter (and her Grandmother) love it! I was looking through the Thor site and noticed they have come out with a new 30.2 model which has bunk beds AND the drop down bed.

I have seen several models with the dropdown beds, but some have a space around them that a small child could fall through, so do look at them carefully.  Might be able to put up some sort of net around the edges.

I agree that a bunkhouse might be a better choice as you do not have to constantly be pulling the bed down and putting it back. 

We looked at some Forest River Georgetown 351DS and 329DS MH's that have the bunk. The weight limit was 200lbs and it just takes a push of a button to bring it down and put it back up. We are considering the 329DS after we sell our "C" Class.

Our Winnebago Destination has bunk beds.  You might be better off looking for bunk beds vs. cab-over beds. 

Search Winnebago/Itasca products with the model number 35 J and 39 N.  Those models have bunk beds in a gas or diesel models. 

We have three kids and the bunk beds and pull out couch to bed work extremely well.  Let me know if you have questions, I'd be happy to answer your questions.

Paul

Our 2013 Forest River FR3 ( http://www.forestriverinc.com/ClassAMotorhomes/FR3/ ) has a bunk over the driver's and passenger seats.  The kids that have stayed in the rig absolutely have fits to claim ownership of it!  It is motorized to raise or lower and it drops down from a powerful magnet on both sides before operation. 

As to your requirements:
1. Comfort (mattress, air bed, etc?) - For me it would absolutely suck.  For kids not so much.  I would get a mattress topper for it.
2. Easy of use - super easy
3. Safety - does not come with a ladder.  You would have to obtain or build one.  No rail.
4. Storage- There is a space over the windshield you can put stuff.

Edit: Fixed link.

Thank you all for your replies.  DH and I have put down a deposit on a new GT 351DS.  And we're flying down to CA to pick it up in two weeks.  We seriously considered Winnie even though no local dealer carries a bunk model.  But in the end it's a bit over our budget, with a few extra things I'd like, such as a red fridge...

The loft bed might at first seem like a nifty idea, but after your wife has to climb up onto that bunk to make it and pick up after the kids, she'll probably wish you had opted for stacked bunks instead. Think long term, not short and the physical demands and inconveniences a floor plan has. Then when you pick one, you'll appreciate it more.

emraldlake said:
Thank you all for your replies.  DH and I have put down a deposit on a new GT 351DS.  And we're flying down to CA to pick it up in two weeks.  We seriously considered Winnie even though no local dealer carries a bunk model.  But in the end it's a bit over our budget, with a few extra things I'd like, such as a red fridge...

Nice coach!  Congratulations!!  You and the kids will love it!

Gordon

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom