Generator problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

99WinAdventurer37G

I went out to my farm and ran the generator for several hours to cool it down in the Texas heat, then turned it off.  Then after the work was done, getting back to the MH, I started the generator and it ran for a couple of minutes then died like it was out of gas.  I tried to start the generator with no luck.  The starter turned, but it sounded like it wasn't firing.  Then I noticed the MH fuel gauge at about 1/4 tank.  I remember reading that they stop before you're out of fuel to prevent you from getting stuck somewhere.  I drove 40 miles into town, filled up the MH, it took 53 gallons, and max gallons is 75, so I was really closer to 1/3 of a tank.  But the generator started and ran fine for about an hour so I could eat and relax before I put up the MH.

Next trip, I drive the 40 miles out to my farm, start the generator and run it for about an hour to cool the MH down and cook dinner.  After dinner, about 73 degrees in the MH I turned off the generator.  After working a little I got back to the MH and tried to start the generator, it turned over but wouldn't start.  This time though I was just about full, only 40 miles on my 75 gallon tank.  It was going to get down to 64 for the low, and was only 79 at the time, so I decided to just open the windows.  This would allow me to get my work done in the morning and I figured I'd leave at noon when it starts to warm up.  After getting back to the MH I tried to start the MH before deciding to leave, and same thing, it turned over but wouldn't start. 

So I put in the slide, pulled up the jacks and headed to my storage facility.  At the storage facility after putting down the jacks, and ready for the long drive home, I thought, lets try the generator one more time.  This time it started just fine, and ran great.  I cooled it down inside the MH to 78, then took my shower for the 125 mile ride in my PU back home.  So it ran fine when I left it, I guess it ran for about 30 minutes or so.

What could possible cause this?  Any ideas what I need to check?

Thanks.

It sounds like a generator fuel filter problem.  I had a car that acted the same way.  I finally solved it by getting new filter.

In order of easy troubleshooting

1. Fuel filter as Mike suggests
2. Oil or coolant level if it is a diesel (safety shut down) The manual discusses how to test these.
3 Fuel Pump

I'd add vapor lock if cooling results in it working again. Check for fuel lines that run close to air exausting from around the generator or the gen block itself.

JM2C

Ernie

What make and model of generator? Many Onans give a code when they shut down. Typically blinks the light on the remote switch to indicate the type of problem that caused the shut down. Should be in the generator owner manual.

Back
Top Bottom