1986 lazy daze motor home

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

misalisa

I am looking at a 1986 lazy daze motor home, it has 80k miles on it it's 22ft for $5250. it has A/c front and top and they say it runs cold. I am new to motor homes so I was wondering if anyone knows if this is a good deal and possibly what to look for when I go look at it.
http://medford.craigslist.org/rvs/4071447291.html  here is the web address.

Cool looking unit.....What chassis is it? Engine etc?....An older motorhome like that is going suck the gas.
When you look at it, look for signs of water damage (leaks)......Make sure the appliances etc work.....Many things to look for

Lazy Daze is an excellent brand, but any 1986 motorhome is a potential money pit. 80K is a fair bit of mileage for a 1986 gas engine, transmission and other chassis parts. But if wel cared for, should be OK. And yes, it will really suck gas. The mid-80's was not known for fuel economy, and a big heavy body makes it all the worse. Maybe 6 mpg? 8 if lucky?

The price is about what a decent older motorhome sells for if everything seems to work. There is an RV buyers checklist or two in the forum Library. Get a copy and check everything carefully. Maybe even hire a pro to help you out, or maybe you have a friend who has an RV?

We owned two Lazy Daze motorhomes in the 1980s, 22' and 30'.  They were very well made and we loved them both but kept moving up in size.  Our fuel was about 7 mpg. if I recall.  Tell us more about the engine and chassis.  Our 22' was a Dodge and the 30' was a Chevy 454.

ArdraF

Any MH can be a money pit, fact is a 80s model is cheaper, I can rebuild my engine in mine for around three hundred the new ones cant say that, the new engine and im talking gas around 3 grand if they are lucky, 8 k for a grate engine, A 80s model is a gas hog however in the 80s the were geared for 55 mph, if I run a true 55 I can get 8 to 9 if I speed up to 60 65 I get 6 to 7, not much difference, chassis parts you can get at any parts house or ebay, plus I don't have all the electronics those program boards I would bet around 3 maybe 4 hundred bucks, fact is if you have a set of good hands and some common sense that 80s isn't much more to own, I bet they cant say that their insurance cost 30 bucks a mth including free tow and full coverage, and check out those 19.5 inch tires 500 apiece mine 190. don't be discouraged by a older unit if taken care they can run and give great service.

I agree 100% with Richard's post above .
I just finished a 25 day trip to Custer State Park and Branson MO. with my 1988 Vanguard 24 ' pulling my car . It has a 350 , 3 speed automatic . I just finished checking out the gas receipts for the trip and I averaged 10.15 US mpg . that works out roughly to 12.65 mpg CAN .
I dont think That is too bad for a 35 year old with 85 thousand miles on it .
I did burn 2/3 of a quart of oil . No trouble on the trip at all .
:) :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom