Fulltimers That Travel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Who: My wife and I and Shadow, too, the Cat.
What: 2000 American Dream 40' Motor Coach
When: 1996 to present
Camp Numbers: So many memories, so little time. We have traveled extensively throughout the U.S. The first few years we spent in Southern Arizona in the winter and in CT in the summers. The past 4 summers we have worked in Yellowstone N.P. We have visited many National Parks as well as some little known areas such as The Wave. This has been an adventure I would not have dreamed about prior to obtaining our first Motor Coach.

We spent the first summers, living in our motor coach in the driveway of our home. We knew, after that, we could survive full timing. Since then, we have never looked back. This has been an adventure I never could have dreamed about before retirement!

JudyJB, I only see 2 Class C full times, you and one other.

Dearmissmermaid, I don't think there are as many full timers as one would think.  This discussion has come up before and if my memory is working < ::) > I remember an article in the FMCA magazine about the count for full timers who actually do not own a house/condo etc and live in their RV year round.  The results was that only 18% of those in the survey were actually full timing.  Most others were part-timers who travel 5-6 months of the year and return to a stick/brick home.  I thought the number of full timers would have been much higher.

Marsha~

While what Marsha said is true we do have many fulltimers here who simply haven't joined in the discussion.

Hi MissM:

WHO (how many people and pets live and travel with you)
- 2 adults, 2 dogs

WHAT (size, age and type of rig and toads)
- 36 foot, 2009 itasca suncruiser and chevy hhr toad

WHEN (when you became a fulltimer and when you stopped being a fulltimer if you have)
- july 18th, 2010

CAMP NUMBERS (number of different campgrounds or RV spots you overnighted in the last 12 months)
- while i keep an excel spreadsheet of the rv parks we stay at, i don;t know how many we were at over the last 12 months - summarize it to be LOTS)

cheers,
peter

Marsha/CA said:
the count for full timers who actually do not own a house/condo etc and live in their RV year round.  The results was that only 18% of those in the survey were actually full timing.  Most others were part-timers who travel 5-6 months of the year and return to a stick/brick home. 

That was actually my point about "part time full timers" earlier in the thread. I think the number of full timers that travel i.e. do not own a property where they "live" as a home base  is quite small.

Your exact definition of full timers will obviously skew the numbers. (and I am not trying to start a ruckus!) If you are having fun full time, aren't you a fulltimer?.  8)

I think you could get a whole variety of answers of the definition of full timing.  :)

When we sold our house and were living in the motorhome while our new one was being built, the insurance company changed our coverage to "full timers" because we were in the motorhome and did not have homeowners insurance coverage.  When the house was finished and we moved in, they switched us back to part time coverage.  The insurance company also considered full time use to be any length of time in the motorhome over 6 months in a year's time.  If I remember correctly it was very little extra cost to switch over to full time coverage.  I remember that because I wanted to leave our coverage as full timer because I liked the extra coverage; but they said no even though we travel 5-6 months out of the year. 

Marsha~

It's really simple.  A full timer lives in the RV every day of the year.

I was full time for 3 years in my Itasca Ellipse 42AD putting on 60,000 miles and around US & Canada coast to coast 3 times. This Spring we bought a sailboat and have lived on board sailing around the Pacific North West...kinda like rv'ing but slower/wetter. We will be back in the bus in November bound for Cabo & La Paz and places in between during the snow season.

We travel just the 2 of us...no pets but often kids & grand kids seem to appear. Both of us are unemployed and haven't looked for work for the last 4 years.

What Ned said! We still have a S & B, but spend full time in the MH (yes! Even when we're parked in the yard - about three weeks a year). I'll admit to using the washer and dryer sometimes, but even there, its more of a pita to dewinterize and then blow out the pipes again than to just usethe MH W/D.

Ernie

DearMissMermaid said:
I am curious who in this forum is a 24/7 year round fulltimer in their RV that travel (not parked in one spot year round).

It would be fun to see these 4 pieces of info:

WHO (how many people and pets live and travel with you)
WHAT (size, age and type of rig and toads)
WHEN (when you became a fulltimer and when you stopped being a fulltimer if you have)
CAMP NUMBERS (number of different campgrounds or RV spots you overnighted in the last 12 months)

My answers for the four above would be:

WHO Just me and my crazy little 6 pound monkey dog, occasionally one friend hops aboard for a few weeks

WHAT  1994, 28 foot Class C Tioga Montara with a bicycle (no car and no slide outs either)

WHEN started fulltiming in Dec 2009 but hit the road in March 2010, still traveling as of today

CAMP NUMBERS in the last 12 months, I workamped in 3 places in 3 states for 8 months total, but still managed to overnight in 25 different campgrounds.

WHO: My husband and me, and our cat Smoke
What: 2004 Damon Intruder motorhome, 38ft. with 3 slides, tow a 2009 Jeep Wrangler
Started fulltiming, July 2013 (have been campers since the 1970's)
Camp numbers in last 12 months: At least 12, and counting family campouts another 4
We have been planning for this for over a year; sold our home and furniture, household items in July. Do not have a traditional home. We live in our motorhome, and plan to travel all over the USA. We will vary our length of stay, from 1 night to a month or more, depending on where we travel. We will "boondock" or dry camp at times for one night.

Well I'm envious is all I can say.

Enjoy and it sounds like all of you are.

Who - Just the two of us ad our two dogs
What - 2013 39' Montana 5th wheel with 3 slides pulled by Ford F450
When - we are new...started full timing June 29, 2013
Where - Spent 3 months at a CG in Topsail, NC getting comfortable and tying up some loose ends.  Got on the road 1 week ago!  Have been in 3 CG in 2 states and heading out again tomorrow, with a few more states planned over the next 2 months.  Then Christmas with family, then to Florida to set up domicile,.

Who - Just two of us
What- 2012 Sunnybrook 3250re,2005 2500 Chevy Duramax
When - July 2011 to present
Where- all over US, now northern Iowa

Who - Larry & Kathy with our dog Dakota
What - 2011 Tiffin Allegro RED - 38feet - (currently watching our new coach being built - another Tiffin)
When - started full-time October 2011
Where - all around the continental U.S. Starting out in northeast but concentrating last year out west. Back east right now taking care of business.
Camp Numbers - not sure of the exact number, but a lot. We stayed at a campground in Idaho this year for 2 months, but usually stay a couple of weeks to a month at places.

I believe I am unusual (no comments) in that we are full-timers, but I still work full-time from the coach. I know there are a few of us on this forum.

Who - Dave, Carol (my wife) and Kathy (Carol's twin sister) plus Shadow, Peaches and Duchess
What - 1988 Travelcraft 36' no slides - 1992 Saturn SC1
When - started full-time March 2010
Where - We work kamp quite a bit but manage about 10 to 12 campgrounds a year

WHO (how many people and pets live and travel with you) 2 adults and 2 cats.
WHAT (size, age and type of rig and toads) '04 38' HR Ambassador w/06 Saturn Ion
WHEN (when you became a fulltimer and when you stopped being a fulltimer if you have) July 2012
CAMP NUMBERS (number of different campgrounds or RV spots you overnighted in the last 12 months) As of today, here is where we have been since starting.
We're currently working our way to Florida for business and a vacation, then heading towards Texas...possibly wintering there.

Attachments

• campedwRuby102213a.gif
    campedwRuby102213a.gif
    41.1 KB · Views: 8
Who lives with me in this motor home

Alex and Amber... My Cats.

They have two jobs

Purring, and keeping mice out.. And they are very good at it.. Even if they would rather the mice come in and join with them for lunch.

WHO:  Mike and Pat (Humans) 1 dog, 3 cats and a bird
WHAT: 2004 Itasca Meridian 39k
When: We started fulltiming nov 2004 but still work fulltime (except Pat retires today)
Where: We move between parks but still do 12 14 different ones a year.

Awright I reckon we need to play too. Although we've never met DearMissMermaid she's inspiring. Life is goof!

The ship is a 1993 HR Imperial DP, named "The Queen's Barge."

The crew is us two humans, one huge fatcat and two kittens.

Although we have a relatively permanent spot here in North Georgia, 28F last night tells me we need to motorvate southward. This year is different; no reservations and no committments. And how can Floridiots be snowbirds?

Back
Top Bottom