Is anyone pulling a TT with their van?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A good friend on mine tows a 15 ft Aljo with his GMC van...V-6. He pulls the outfit all over the West and through the mountains. SOmetimes a little slow on the major inclines....but no problems so far.

I used to pull a 13' SCAMP with a 1992 Lumina APV 3.1 V-6,  That is the max the Lumina can pull.  I used to pull it with a Dodge Tradesman B-250 (That's a 3/4 ton truck) with a V-8 that was impressive (it basically said 'There's a trailer behind me, I don't feel no trailer behind me)  I avoide mountains with the Lumina as TV

Now days the lumina is towed behind a class A

I have pulled a TT with a van.? The TT was a 29 footer, the van was a 1984 Ford E350 with a 460cc V-8 with a 4bbl carb and a 4.10 rear end iirc.? ?There were no issues with that combo.? I have no idea what the tow rating was on that thing as they have not made that 7.5L engine since the 1980s, but that sucker could really pull.? ? The ones in 1999 rate at 10,000 lbs but with smaller engines.

For towing with a van, the E-350s are the way to go.? Beaucoup passenger capacity and good tow ratings.? Be care about GCVWR tho.? You can really overload those vans.

A Ford E350 van makes an excellent tow vehicle. I know of a guy who tows a BIG 36 foot Holiday Rambler TT with one, but he has it all kitted out to handle it, including a Hensley Arrow hitch and Gear Vendors Over/Under Drive aux transmission.

Modern minivans are limited in their tow capacity, usually around 3000-3500 lbs. If you plan to tow witha  van, get a full size model and, as always, pay attention to the GVWR and GCWR.

Thanks for all the replys. It is my husbands idea to use a "camping" van to pull a TT. With that set up he believes we can park TT in CG & then explore area in van & even camp over night if we travel too far & don't want to drive back. Presently we are still in the dreaming & learning stage. We don't have either vehicle yet.

mwaites said:
Thanks for all the replys. It is my husbands idea to use a "camping" van to pull a TT. With that set up he believes we can park TT in CG & then explore area in van & even camp over night if we travel too far & don't want to drive back. Presently we are still in the dreaming & learning stage. We don't have either vehicle yet.

A van is a good vehicle but I have never thought of it as an exploring vehicle.  I have used it as a camping vehicle tho.  Unless you are well out in the boondocks, van camping should be done in a regular campground, one with toilet facilities and other campers around for security.  One then could ask, why not move the TT to a more convenient location?

The best pattern of exploratory trailer camping is to site the trailer in a CG central to the area and use it as a base camp, returning to it at night.  Even motorhomers do that using their toads.

I have a converted van (Pleasureway, a class B)  based on a Dodge 3500 maxivan.  The hitch is placarded at 3500 lbs trailer weight, 300 lbs tongue weight.  The combined weight limit is 11000 lbs and the empty weight is 7500 lbs.  I haven't weighed it as traveled, but I expect towing any kind of trailer would be pretty much out of the question.

We considered pulling a TT and may do it one day with a different van.? Our current class 'B' (E-250) is really loaded and even if we could pull one, it would not be much fun.

We also decided against a trailer for now for several reasons:?
First, the expense.? If we had to pay to park the trailer in a campground and pay to camp somewhere in our van in a different campground, then it could double those expenses.?
Second, we like to wander as much as possible without real destinations.? If we dropped the trailer somewhere, it means we'd have to go back there even if something else sounded better.?
Third, we like to go into some areas where we would NOT want to pull a trailer.? Having a trailer would mean staying out of those areas unless we found a place to drop the trailer and then traveled back to pick it up later.

In short, we will begin full-timing in our 'B' without a trailer.? Maybe in a couple of years we will upgrade our rig and reconcider pulling a trailer with a new 'B'.

I currently pull a 31 foot 1984 Airstream with a 1990 GMC Rally STX 3500, 5.7L, 4.11 rear end.  Sure I'm in the right hand lane on 7% grades or better, but so are the semis.
Road Trip

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom