Plumbing/Electrical Question (shower drain)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alexsha

Still working on cleaning things up in my camper. I got my water source issues worked out. On to new things...

I was working on fixing a leak in the shower drain. I went under the trailer and removed a technologically AMAZING insulating cover for the P-trap... a plastic cover filled with dirt and what looks like 20-year old plaid shirts. Awesome. I also find a flat black 2-wire cord wrapped around the P-trap. It's cut on one end and the other seems to continue wrapping around the drain line towards the gray tank.

Was this some kind of actual heating element to keep the line from freezing?

(Should I be asking these questions in the remodeling forum?)

It sounds like the previous owner (aka PO) did some cold camping.  A length of heat tape is a good guess. It may still work, if you find the other end of it you may find a switch.

Bill

I was thinking it would be something like that. I could leave it, but I can't stand something unfinished or unresolved. Gonna have to find the other end...

If the "cut" end is sealed up in some way it is probably "finished". If you like winter sports and you may be cold camping, trace it and test it.

Bill

It was very likely a pipe heater, probably no longer usable though...  Sounds like you are really having fun!!! ;D

This is a lot more fun than I thought it would be. My wife and I have already decided to redo the flooring. We found 36"x6" vinyl 'planks' that will look great.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/TrafficMaster-Allure-6-in-x-36-in-Iron-Wood-Resilient-Vinyl-Plank-Flooring-24-sq-ft-case-72217-0/202885477

So, the wire is cut on both ends. It snakes up the shower drain to the sink drain. Looks like it was a warmer to make sure warm gray water went to the tank to prevent freezing. Dunno where it was ever hooked up to though. I'm going to probably just stuff the underside with insulation as I'm not planning sub-freezing camping.

Back
Top Bottom