Import a RV from the USA to Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

La smala

Hi everebody, I am from Montreal, Province of Quebec and want to import a Winnebago View J23 from USA. Is there anybody who have done all the process.
Thanks

We have a member here who has done so but they don't get online daily and may not see your message.

It's a common procedure and US dealers near the border are usually familiar with the ins and outs. There are also import/export agents near the border who will handle the paperwork for you - for a fee of course.

La Smala,

Based on the experiences of others I know who have done this, one cannot rely on any information provided by a seller in the U.S on the importation procedure of a vehicle into Canada.

In order to do it correctly you have two options:

Call several Customs Brokers to identify which one would be interested in taking your importation case.  Not all Customs Brokers will take on this type of work, so it may require several calls.  Being In Montreal, you may wish to visit the border crossing at Champlain  Hwy 15/ I 87.  The Customs offices there know which brokers can help you and the brokers offices are right there at the border.

Do it yourself.  This would be my personal preference, and is worth the research and preparation.

First visit these sites:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel/bringing_goods/motor_vehicles/menu-e.html

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/importation/impusae.htm

Call the contact numbers to get precise information on the make and model you wish to import from the Registrar of Vehicles and find out what modifications need to be done after you've cleared Customs.

If the RV is new, and you're ordering from the factory, you could order it with a Canadian Package.  If it's used, it may already have a Canada package for lights and safety.

If the vehicle is manufactured in Canada or the U.S. there is no duty, but there is excise tax and GST.  Excise Tax id $100 for the air conditioning, and an additional excise tax for vehicles over 2000+ KG.  Check with Customs for the sliding scale.

Once you get all your information and paperwork, the Customs office where you plan to cross needs 3 working days notice of your arrival so they can prepare for your crossing.  You then have a certain amount of time to get the vehicle inspected by the Registrar of Vehicles to get your plates.

Here are a useful phone number:

(888) 848-8240    vehicles that qualify for import

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What coach do you plan to import, from where and at what time of year?

I just brought one into Ontario from N.Y. state.  I was very concerned about the process and it turned out to be quite simple.  Make sure you have insurance arranged before you leave to go pick it up and the detail must be specific to your unit.  This proved to be the biggest headache when attempting to get the trip permit which has to be acquired in the state where you purchase the motorhome.
When you get on the Gov't of Canada website, make sure you can cross it as it must meet certain standards.  If it doen't you own a motorhome you can't bring into Canada.
The way I nderstood it, I had to clear U.S. customs.  No way they waved me through and all was done at Canadian customs.  I was done in about 20 min.
Good Luck, it really is simple.
Leo

When you get on the Gov't of Canada website, make sure you can cross it as it must meet certain standards.  If it doen't you own a motorhome you can't bring into Canada.
The way I nderstood it, I had to clear U.S. customs.

I believe that's why you have to call the Registrar's office to make sure it meets the standards.

Back
Top Bottom