1999 Chieftain 34Y

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DannerABQ

I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger on a '99 Chieftain 34Y. It has dual-pane windows, which I have been serious about finding, about 47000 miles, is really in quite good shape, and has been owned by a UPS truck mechanic who has done a fair bit of work on it. I'll be paying about $25K and likely having this guy install a Banks system after purchase. I have it scheduled for a pre-purchase inspection at Camping World here in ABQ. This will be my first RV. I intend to be up in the Northwest for about 3 - 4 months per year, when it's so hot in New Mexico.

Any words of wisdom? Particular warnings, commendations, etc? Any suggestions about this will be really appreciated. FWIW, the runner-up has been a '98 Pace Arrow Vision, which might have won - but for the lack of dual-pane windows, primarily for sound reduction. (I already know a few windows on the Chieftain will have to be re-sealed).

Thanks very much in advance -
Dan

That is nice floor plan. Does it have the dinette or table and chairs? Does it have the 2 door or 4 dr refrigerator? It has a lot of bedroom wardrobe space.

Which chassis?

A lot of give and take about CWs qualifications as inspectors, so beware. Put a lot of miles on my 98 Adventurer and thought the engine ran strong enough although the horsepower has been increased every year I never missed having more. Often thought about the Banks but never got around to putting it on. Seems to me there was a reason but my CRS kicked in.

If you do go Winnebago, think about joining the WIT Club.

Don G. IT 70041

My 1st motorhome was a factory ordered '99 34Y, which I had for 5 yrs and put 49K miles on it.  I had the full Banks system installed after about 6 months. Was very pleased with the added hp and it kept the engine running cooler so the big fan wouldn't kick in and suck up a bunch of hp when you need it on a long hill.  I sold it to my nephew and they still have it today.....I think it has around 100K miles and motor is still running strong.

Like all Winnebagos, need to keep the roof seal checked and reseal every few years.  He didn't and had to have a few feet of fiberglass replaced when the wind ripped it open. 

I put air bags in the rear so I could keep it level when pulling my 4500 lb enclosed trailer.

I put Bilstein shocks on it to get a more controlled handling.  If it feels like it needs shocks, I recommend the Koni FSD.

I think you'll really like that floor plan.

Good luck,
Bill

Bill, thanks for the encouragement about the 34Y and the good advice. I bought it, and have it in a local RV yard, where I'm going through the interior, cleaning and fixing. Thinking about the Banks Stinger system.

Attachments

• DSC04662 (1024x768) (800x600) (640x480).jpg
    DSC04662 (1024x768) (800x600) (640x480).jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 28
You might consider the 5 Star Tune rather than the Banks Stinger. We have a 1999 Brave 35C with the F53 and V10. We have been all over the mountains in the northwest, southwest and southeast. We almost always had the power we needed while towing either a Jeep Wrangler or Cherokee. The Five Star Tune helps with the shift points. On some very steep grades we are down to 35 to 40 mph, but it most of those cases, that is as fast as you can drive anyway. Long gradual grades we can do at 55 to 60 mph.

Five Star Tune Ford 6.8l V10
http://www.5startuning.com/v10/index.html

DannerABQ said:
Bill, thanks for the encouragement about the 34Y and the good advice. I bought it, and have it in a local RV yard, where I'm going through the interior, cleaning and fixing. Thinking about the Banks Stinger system.
Congratulations!  Looks like they threw a dog in on the deal  :D .

DannerABQ said:
Sure looks like a clean machine! 

The Banks Stinger doesn't include the headers and that's where the majority of the power and cooling advantage is.
You might consider Thorley headers for around $1100.  http://dougthorleyheaders.com/products/searchType/vehicleSearch/year/1999/make/FORD/model/%20CLASS%20A%20MOTORHOME%20F53%20CHASSIS%206.8L%20V10/sfID1/9/sfID2/40/sfID3/32

Enjoy the ride.....
Bill

Back
Top Bottom