We bought a toad today! 94 Jeep Wrangler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

readytorv

So excited we finally found a toad!  It even matches our motorhome although we were willing to settle for an un-matching toad given our budget :)  Now we just need to figure out the tow equipment.  We want to tow 4-down. 

I also started with a Blue Ox base plate on my Wrangler. It installed easy, and worked well, but as I got more into off roading, I found I didn't like the amount that it extended down under the frame. If you are not planning on serious 4-wheeling, but just some light trails and on road use, the Blue Ox is an excellent way to go. If you are going to get into more serious 4-wheeling, you might want to look at other options....Just trying to keep you from spending twice.

Both my TJ and Rubicon use Blue Ox anchors that mount on the bumper (bolt thru into the frame) and provide the same attachment as a standard base plate. They are less expensive ($85 as I recall), don't reduce attack angle, are easier to install, and Blue Ox will try to sell you the base plate instead! I had to insist on them for the Rubicon and they have worked well for at least 10, 000 miles towing.
JM2C

Ernie

I went with Roadmaster AND the Roadmaster XL base plate on my 2005 Wrangler X, with the Roadmaster All-Terrain Tow Bar.

Look at the Demco tow system. I have been happy with mine.  I just upgraded to the newest design and they are very good.  I'll be getting a new base plate for our new Jeep when it gets here.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.. there is a lot to process here.  I'm not sure exactly how much off roading we will be doing.  My husband might have bigger ideas in his head than I do.  I will have him read all your thoughts here and do some more research.  We have a month before our trip to get tow ready so not too much time to ponder!  One other question.. would the year of Jeep matter as to what kind of tow system?  I see a lot of people here with newer Jeeps.  Ours is a '94.  I'm thinking the electrical might be less straight forward with an older model and that is a whole other post right? 

Essentially the electrical hook up is about the same.  There are minor variations depending on whether or not you use the vehicle lights or add additional bulbs and there is some possible variations depending on make and year.

What model did you get?  That makes the most difference1

Demco base plates are likely the least expensive and definitely the easiest to install on a Jeep, takes about 15 minutes..... I've done a few. The Demco tow bar stays on the motorhome, unlike many of the others types that stay on the tow car when not in use.  My 2 cents... :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom