Need Tire Info Quick!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marsha/CA

Moderator Emeritus
Hi Everyone,

Well, we are now in Sasakatoon, Saskatchewan and Tim is worried about our tires.? We have been noticing little side wall cracks and he thinks they are getting bigger.? ?They were not there 3K miles ago.? I know many of you replaced your tires with Goodyears.? We have Mitchelins on now and have 40K miles on them.? We thought they would last a lot longer.? Maybe we are paranoid about the tires; but I think we will feel better if we replace them.? So, what I need to know is if the Goodyear G149 RSA is a good tire.? We've been told that is the replacement tire for the Mitchelin 255/80R255 XRV .? When I called to get an estimate on the Mitchelin Tires, they were much more expensive than the Goodyear which makes me question if the tire is correct.

Help!?

In the meantime I'll go to the Goodyear website and check things out.

Marsha~

Marsha,

Most experts will agree that vertical sidewall cracks are not particularly dangerous, but horizontal ones are. That assumes that they are quite small and don't extend from tread to rim. I think you meant the tire size was  255/80R16 (or 19.5, or 22) XRV; not 255/80R255 XRV. Computer hiccup on you again ;) Actually I couldn't find any 255/80 XRV's on the Goodyear site Here Where did you get that number?

Do you have a warranty with the exisitng tires? If so, you might want to have them checked at a dealer. If the cracks are due to sun damage the warranty will usually not address that issue :(

I think XRV is the Michelin desigation for RV tires.

Karl,

Computer didn't hic-cup.....That is the correct size of the tire; but it's Mitchelin's tires that are already on the coach; not Goodyear.  What I need is what is the replacement tire size for a Good Year.  I couldn't find a match either....that's why I need help.  I'm concerned about getting underrated tires.

The cracks are horizonital; not verticle which is why we are concerned. 

Woodartist, I'm sure it's sun damage.  WE live in So. CAlif with lots of ultra rays.  And, yes , we do have a tire warranty policy; which I'm pulling out and looking at.

Marsha~

Marsha,

I think you meant to say that you have XRV Michelins which are tire size 255/80R22.5 on your Allegro DP.  And they told you that the Good Year G149 RSAs are a replacement for your tires.  Well, it turns out that Good Year doesn't make tire size 255/80R22.5 in the G149 RSA type.  Good Year does make a size 265/75R22.5 in the G149 RSA type which is rated at 5205 lbs @ 110 PSI, the same as your Michelins.  These tires have a tread depth of 14/32 vs 17/32 on the Michelins.  Whether the Good Years are a good tire or not is not the question you should be asking.  You need to know whether or not the 265/75R22.5 size can even be used on your Allegro.  And if so, then you should ask whether or not they will last the 40K miles that you got on the Michelins.

Thanks everyone for your help.  I think we finally have this figured out.

Karl, I owe you an apology.  When I gave you the tire size, I forgot to put the decimal in so the correct size is 255/80R25.5 XRV.  I gave it to you as 255/80R255 without the decimal.  But the numbers are right  ;)

After spending tons of "roaming" minutes on our phone, we have talked to our motor home manufacturer Tiffin aka Allegro and have been told the following information.  I pass this on for information sake ONLY.  Tiffin has been noting the following issues with RV tires.

1.  Mitchelin XRV tires have been blowing sidewalls at 40K miles or close to 4 years use.  The sidewalls are breaking down.

2.  Goodyear is having trouble keeping their tires "round"  and in balance.

3.  Tiffin is recommending Mitchelin XZE as a replacement tire.

So, here we sit in Sasakatoon, Saskatchewan getting ready to spend much $$$$ on 6 new tires.

Oh Joy!
Marsha~

Marsha,
Karl, I owe you an apology.  When I gave you the tire size, I forgot to put the decimal in so the correct size is 255/80R25.5 XRV.  I gave it to you as 255/80R255 without the decimal.  But the numbers are right  Wink

You don't owe me an apology, but thanks for the new chuckle - you still don't have the numbers right. It should be 255/80R22.5 ;D ;D ;D Hey, two out of three ain't bad ;)

Marsha

Three years ago I had a huge crack appear almost overnight....The Tires were 5 years old & I was on the way to Monument Valley when I noticed it.  I ran with it like this until I could get a new tire sent to Bingham City, Utah over 1200 miles away.  It was a Toyo tire, the only one affected & they gave me $100 even though it was 5 years old.

Attachments

• P4200003 (Small).JPG
    P4200003 (Small).JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 47
Terry....you are a braver fella than Tim is.... :D.  No way he would go 1200 miles on a tire that had a slit in it. 

We can't believe the price of these tires here in Canada.  However, if we had a blowout, it could do lots more damage than the price of the tires.

We are definately north.  Can't get the Direct TV satellite to connect and the Motosat is getting a low signal.  We are limping along on lots of fronts.  I'm still anxious to see a Moose. 

Marsha~

As a newcomer, I've read the posts about checking and maintaing air pressure on the inside tires of duallys and I'm still confused. But here's a new question - how does one ck for cracks on the inside tires? The obvious answer is to crawl underneath with a flashlight - is that what y'all do?

Danny
Poulsbo WA

Hey Karl,

That tire of Terry's definately looks like a horizontal crack in that Toyo tire.? Maybe it was really a 255/80R255 Mitchelin, what do you think??

I gotta agree with Karl on this one - I never heard of any RV wheel with a 25.5 inch diameter. And certainly no Michelin XRV with an R25.5 designation.  But Marsha seems so sure... ????

Ok Fellas, I keep getting it wrong.  This is what I get for getting into an area I know very little about.  I was trying to help Tim (husband) by gathering facts from you fellas.

Here is the correct number:  255/80R22.5 XRV.  The replacement tires we are getting are the same number except that instead of XRV it's XZE.  And, you are right, Gary, there is no 25.5 number...{slapping my forehead}

Next time I'm gonna let Tim asks his own questions.  ;D

Marsha~

Marsha

Like you, I am forced into looking for replacement tires. The choices for my coach are the Goodyear G670 and the Michelin XZA3. A local dealer that handles both recommends the Michelin because of a little softer ride. I am also not happy that the Goodyear requires 10#s more air pressure to support the front axle weight, compared to the Michelins. Were not doing much traveling between now and the end of the year so I have time to do a lot of researchin :eek:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom