What brand/type electric heater to use for full timing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SD80

Port of Brookings Harbor, Harbor Oregon, USA!
The DW and I have started full-timing in our 26 ft, class C (B+) and are going to live in S.W.Ohio for the winter. I want to add an electric heater and see most people use a ceramic disk heater and I was wondering what brand you recommend.

Thanks

Here is the heater I have been using for the last two years. I am very happy with it. I have knocked it over a dozen times and it still works:

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,48700.0.html

We use one of the small "cube" heaters; about six inches in size and 1, 500W maximum. It's been going strong for over 15 years now.

Ernie

On Tom's recommendation I purchased the Lasko he recommended, and it does everything he said it would. I like it a lot and may purchase a 2nd this fall.

On Tom's recommendation I purchased the Lasko he recommended, and it does everything he said it would. I like it a lot and may purchase a 2nd this fall.

We use Lasko, and I have 2 of them. If you run them on low (900 watts), you can plug them into two different outlets on two different circuits and not be in a position to maybe overload a single circuit. Also, you then have 1800 watts of heating as opposed to a single heater running at 1500 watts on high.

Bill

We use "Big Heat" which is a small cube-type heater but does a good job.  We even keep one in the bathroom at home for quick warming on chilly mornings.  We bought ours at Camping World.

ArdraF

For the past 4 winters I have used a cylindrical ceramic heater in my 28 foot Class C. It has 2 settings for 800 watts and 1500 watts.

I chose this model because it takes up very little room (about 7 inches diameter) and rotates. It's quiet, it's powerful. It's easy to store in the summer.

Comfort Zone Citadel Oscillating Ceramic Tower Heater
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002Q8HDJA/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B002Q8HDJA&linkCode=as2&tag=recreationalvehicles-20

I also have two 200 watt teeny tiny ceramic heaters, one is installed in the bathroom year round though I only need it in the winter. The other one I just move around to where ever I want it. It will make your feet super cozy or I have used it to keep the bedroom warm.

Personal Ceramic Heater by Lasko
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XDTWN2/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B003XDTWN2&linkCode=as2&tag=recreationalvehicles-20

Attachments

• heater dear miss mermaid.jpg
    heater dear miss mermaid.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 16
  • tiny heater dear miss mermaid.jpg
    tiny heater dear miss mermaid.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 10
I have a collection of electric haters.. I look to make sure they are over temp and tip over protected.. I test the tip over first thing. (Some of 'em shut off if you pick them up) and if they pass...

Not really a lot to recommend the hundred dollar one over the 25 dollar one.

Some folks like big bulky things about teh size of an end table that cost hundreds of dollars.. Again, you get the same amount of heat from a 1500 watt heater no matter who made it or how much you paid for it.  Power factors and things like that simply do not apply.

Had an interesting conversation with some of the neighbors here in the park where we are staying. They stay here year round and are not looking forward to winter although they have been through it before.

Most of their rigs are not suitable for year round use. They augment their heating needs with electric heaters, relying mostly on propane. This park doesn't have propane available nor do the local propane companies deliver/fill RV tanks on site. You have to take your bottles or your MH to them to get them filled. That's fine for those with TT and 5rs but the MH is difficult when the roads are snow covered and icy. So they have had to purchase separate portable tanks...80 or 100 pounders to supplement.

The owner of the park got a huge surprise in his electric bill last winter. Seems one of his guests didn't have a working LP furnace in their TT so they used several large electric heaters. The cost of electricity was more than what he was renting the site for on a monthly basis...he has since made sure that his renters aren't doing that!

I am soley relying on electric heat in my little 5th wheel. But I wanted totally silent and very safe, so I chose to use what I was familiar with from Alaska, and use a oil filled radiator. It is NOT quick heat, but it is warm, dry and totally safe and quiet. It is also very efficient and a low user of electricity.

The down side is it is slow to heat a room, but once going has kept me livable down to 12 degrees below and many times to zero.

In Alaska we use these as room heaters simply because they draw very little amperage. Critical when you are running on generators.

This is the one I have: Click HERE!

Good Luck,

Jim

We use one Lasko and one oil filled heater, and have been very happy with both. Quiet oil filled in bedroom, and Lasko in living area with its remote bedside if we need to adjust or turn off.

Many overhead AC units can have an optional heat strip installed. Something to look into. Then it's one less thing to trip over in a Class C.

I don't envy you staying in Ohio for the winter, so many warmer places with good rates and no snow.

We had heat strips in an early Pace Arrow but if they didn't come with the unit I would recommend spending your money on a small 1500 watt heater.

We were in West Virginia last month and it was cold enough that it snowed.  Bought a 1500W oscillating Lasko Tower and my son - who we were visiting or we wouldn't have been up there in the first place -  brought over one of his $20 Patton Utility Heaters.  We used the Lasko in the bedroom/bath area and his Patton the living area.  The furnace rarely came on and we were comfortable.  The Patton pushed out more heat than the Lasko, though it is a bit noisier, so we bought one.  We use the Lasko most nights in the bedroom and add the Patton in the living area when it is really cold.  It works for us.

We've been using this one for a couple of seasons. It works well for a fairly large room.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/oscillating-ceramic-heater/27289

We have a couple of the inexpensive ceramic heaters, work great.  For full timing though, I think those oil filled units would be great.  We have used one in the stick house to supplement heat in cooler areas for years.  Once up to temp, they sure do produce even, constant heat quietly, with low amp draw.  As we start using the unit more and more in potentially cooler temps.... I think that oil filled unit in the house is going to make it's way to the 5Ver......

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom