South West Colorado.... Durango, etc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kparker51

We would like to hear from some folks that have spent time in this area...

We have been disappointed in the RV Park reviews as they are either old or sometimes people seem to have an axe to grind.

We are looking to escape southern Arizona in June, July and August ....doesn't have to be one place....

One of the things that really makes our lives easier is a fenced dog park, either in the park or near by.... don't ask just believe.

Like wifi, (not tengo) cable, trees, a little space....

Thanks
KP

other suggestions are welcome but the distance to Durango from the Phoenix area is just perfect.

I live in Cortez, 45 miles west of Durango. Beautiful country. Because I live here, I don't stay in the local campgrounds but here's my take on the ones in Cortez -

KOA - not a KOA fan but this one is one the east side of town and sits behind the city dog park, over and acre of fenced, run free doggy heaven. And there's a trail from the KOA to the dog park as well as a trail that circles Denny Lake next door.

A little further are Mesa Verde RV Resort and AA RV Resort, at the entrance road to Mesa Verde. Probably as nice or nicer than the KOA, closer to Mesa Verde, further from Cortez. Don't know how dog friendly they are.

La Mesa RV Park - a Passport America park so there's a discount available but not terribly exciting. Gravel pull-thru's and clean, tho. Walk out the back gate, circle around the back of the old Walmart and there's a 5-acre field where we used to take our black lab to run free, but not fenced.

Durango has several nice RV parks and a spectacular huge dog park along the river. You can hike and the dogs can run but be prepared for them to get wet if they are water dogs. Don't know about the campgrounds' dog facilities.

Alpen Rose is, I hear from a reliable source, a mess right now due to flooding and mud but is usually a good choice.

United Campground straddles the Durango-Silverton Railroad tracks. Kind of fun to watch the trains go by unless you're not fond of train noise.

Lots of forest service campgrounds in the area. Leash laws apply in the campgrounds but lots of room right outside the campgrounds for the hairy kids to run crazy. But, again, no fencing.

Ask away if you have any questions about the area.

Wendy
Cortez Colorado

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom