My Dog can't make it through the night

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

canuckrv

We have two dogs a 3 yr old Boston Terrier and an 11 month old Beagle Pointer cross. The Beagle is house trained or the most part and when in our house sleeps in a crate for the whole night, but when she is in the crate in the motor home she needs to go out at least twice. our routines are the same going for a walk just before bed where she does releave herself so we are kind of baffled on how to fix the problem. If wed don't take her out she has an accident.
thanks for any help

Dogs can be litter box trained just like cats. Google it. I have three cats and never once have I had to get up and take them for a walk. They always use the litter box.

Thing is, your routines are not the same...You are in a different house. It makes a difference to a dog, they seem very reluctant to change. I am sure in time, she will get used to it.

Try to think of things that might help her feel more at home. Can you turn her crate so that she can see you during the night, or place on of your t-shirts, or a blanket that smells like you in her crate? You could also try giving her a little extra attention/love before bed. She will adjust in time, but the more you can do to reassure her that the RV is "home", that it's a safe place, and that you are still there, the faster and easier her adjustment will be  :D Good luck!

In general dogs will not go where they sleep . That being said it is possible that the crate is too big. If you make it smaller then they will not go if they have to sleep in it.

Just curious, is it only on travel days or when you have been parked a few days? Do the dogs have access to water all day or just late in the day? If water is available during travel do they drink or wait until you are settled? Different drinking habits could cause the change. Hopefully it will get better! our oldest dog who never liked to travel when we stayed at hotels now loves to travel in the RV, but it did take a few trips for her to change!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom