Changing Gear Ratios

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GrovetownRvr

If I change the gears in my F150 supercab 5.4 4X4 from 3.55 to 3.73 0r 4.10, about how much will it cost? I am in the process of buying my first TT and don't have the money to buy a new TV right now. The TT Dry Weight is 5847. The GVWR is 7850. I know I am probably pushing it with a half ton, but I am going to set it up right with a Prodigy Brake contoller and a Reese Dual Cam Hitch. I have the factory tow package, high flow exhaust, cool air induction and Hypertech Programming. I am hopping that some of the aftermarket upgrades will help with the towing.

I am also wondering if it will be worth spending the money to change the gears in the truck?

If a gear change is recommended, what would be the ideal gear to change to?

Also, is the Factory tow package transmission cooler sufficient for towing a TT?

Any info and suggestions would really be appreciated!!

The best the table show that rig for is 8300 lbs with a 3.73.? ?If you tow in the east that would limit you to a 7470 lb GVWR in the trailer.? Out here in the west, make that 6640 lbs..? ?Oddly enuf, the 3.53 gets you a rating of 8000 lbs. or 7200/6400 east/west.

In short you are not getting all that much from a simple axle change.? Why?? Because tow rating is going to include engine, rear end and suspension, transmission, drive line, and, especially brakes.? ? F150 are really light duty trucks.  You cannot make a pecheron out of a shetland pony.

My recommendation is go for a lighter trailer -- something in the 24-26 foot range.? ?Or confine your towing to the flat lands back east.

Thanks. Most of my trips are going to be local in GA. Relatively flat and fairly short, 50 miles or less. We have a 71,000 acre resevoir within spitting distance of my house. Most of the campgrounds that we use are within 30 minutes of my house. Maybe one trip a year to the NC mountains and a couple to the beach in GA, Fla, SC or NC. If we attemp a trip out west, we will probably get a new TV or borrow one. My dad has an F250 6.0 liter turbo diesel.

Karl said:
Gotcha! Yes it is. I noticed there's quite a bit of difference in the peak torque rpm's between different engine years. Maybe it would take a different converter to get a significant change?

Or maybe beefed up suspension, brakes, and tranny.  But then it would be an F250 or 350, eh?  ;D

Back
Top Bottom