Know your rights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear fellow RV travelers. I posted one of my personal experience and some important information to help you protect your rights when entering California.

Instead of arousing the anger of the administrator by re posting my original "rant", I will just say know and understand your the US Commerce Claus as well as your 4th & 5th amendment rights.

You can also check out this very entertaining youtube video and consider yourself forward and forarmed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJax-GEhJZY

Best regards to all
Bill

Bill, please read your PMs and you'll see that your original message is still visible; The only messages removed were the duplicates. To view your messages at any time, click the Profile button above, then click Show posts.

I'm very sorry Tom. Please accept my most humble apologies. I am new and didn't know that things get moved around on this forum. Again, I sincerely apologize for impugning your character.

Best regards
Bill

I think that the analogy is too funny, and not the least bit accurate. Perhaps it is because I have grown used to slowing down for the CA Agricultural Inspection Stations being a CA/NV native (born in CA, raised in NV) and considering that CA feeds the nation I tend to agree and cooperate with the system that is set up. Don't bring unwanted produce into the state, and if you do, don't be surprised if it is confiscated.

I also do not transport wood from one camp site to another, I leave my extra for the next camper and buy new when I arrive at my next camp site.

I think the OP is wrong on this subject...JMHO

You can get in $ome trouble in New England for transporting firewood from the wrong region. We have some kind of beetle infestation that is killing hardwoods. It can be transported commercially with origin documentation, they will not take your word for origin.

Bill

Hello Oscar Mike:

I understand that you have a love for California. I do too and would truly like to see it improve. However, I'm not sure about being wrong about the law; Especially since you and I both took an oath to protect and defend the constitution.

I have no problem with the Cal Ag folks checking commercial trucks, but there not coming into my home and taking my things without a fight. 

Thanks for risking your life to keep us free. Its a great sacrifice and I wouldn't want to see it wasted!  I mean no disrespect but what if they decide combat vets (like you and I) shouldn't be allowed to travel? We got PTSD you know? It can't happen you say? Well, did you know that we once had a right to travel in this country? Read Thompson vs. Smith, 154 SE 579. We didn't fight for that right and now, it's effectively gone. I'll grant you that sometimes peoples "right to drive" are taken for good reason. But, many times it's because you didn't pay a parking ticket, which has nothing to do with safe driving.

By the way, I meant no disrespect to Wendy. But if you and her has seen what I have seen and still believe the state should be able to come into our homes when ever they please and take our things, I am truly very sad about that.

I guess I'm so passionate because I was once on the other side. One time I kicked two little Honduran farmers out of their own field while they were working in it. It (along with allot of other things) bothers me to this day. I keep thinking if I were in my field working and some dude with a gun came out of the woods and told me to "vamanos" I really wouldn't like it, especially if I was trying to feed my family. I had what I thought was a good reason; I had a patrol coming through and I didn't want them to be confused for the bad guys. But, that was tyranny and so is stopping American citizens without probable cause. 

I'd love to hear your thoughts, or not, its up to you.

Best regards
Bill

when entering California as they are targeting RV's specifically

I'm sorry, Bill, but you are flat out wrong.  They stop cars as well as RVs.  I know because I've driven both types of vehicles through these checkpoints many times.  I also lived in California for 39 years and was thankful we had people willing to inspect for foods that were contaminated before getting to our crops.  I've seen California fruits and vegetables in grocery stores all over the world and believe me, a HUGE part of the California economy depends on keeping these destructive pests out of the agricultural lands.  By the way, they also check every boat these days because the Quogga mussels are so invasive.  A couple of years ago they were worried because the mussels had arrived in Lake Powell via pleasure craft and sure enough, within a year they were also down to Lake Mead.  Now they're desperately trying to contain them so they don't get into the Hoover Dam machinery which has serious consequences.  They're also trying to keep them out of California's lakes and irrigation channels, not to mention Lake Tahoe which they could ruin.

So, my message to you as an RVer is to be sure you know what you're talking about before you start venting so vociferously in public forums.  I too value my freedoms but I also realize some things have to be done for the public welfare and California's agricultural inspection stations are a necessary evil and have been since my first trip there in 1946.  ALL of us have to cooperate in some of these vital efforts that mean so much to our economy (agricultural pests), our environment (tree beetles) and our health (clean water and electricity).

ArdraF

Bill Weatherby said:
Hello Oscar Mike:
I'd love to hear your thoughts, or not, its up to you.
Best regards
Bill

One of the moderators locked up a similar discussion, I think I am steering clear of this debate.

The real answer to this is probably somewhere in the commodities act of 1935. Nobody knows anything until we hear chapter and paragraph. Until then it's all hyperbolic bloviating opinion, from both sides. My inflated opinion is the CA. AG knows chapter and paragraph giving state rights to do as they see fit to protect their commodities from disease and pestilence. Just saying.

Bill

ArdraF:

THanks for your comments. I'm sorry you may have not been able to read all my comments on my other post. There I said, It is well within the states rights (and a good thing I might add) to inspect commercial fruits and vegetables (F&V) coming into the State of California. What I also said is it is against the law to stop a private citizen just to ask them IF they have are doing something wrong or have something you feel they shouldn't. I know they stop cars too, by the way; it wasn't the point.

To be clear, My argument is based on our constitutional rights (1 thru 5) based on the articles and amendments. Based on those rights no law enforcement or regulatory agency can come into your home, RV or search your car without a warrant, signed from a judge and or probable cause to think a crime has been or is being committed. Am I wrong?

Respectfully I would ask you all to consider carefully what I am about to say: Everyone who has disagreed with me has said, the Agriculture business in California is very important which I have no doubt about. I have been told by some that California produce can be found all over the world which again, I don't doubt. But, IF California agriculture is so big and its produce is being shipping all over the world, why is commercial produce coming in from other states? The fact is that California is a very large market and the local producers can't (or wont) fill the total need. Whether it's for state consumption or export, this is more demand than California producers can handle.

NOW, before you get all defensive please hear me out; Lets set the individual rights think aside for a sec. Why are the Commercial fruits and plants being allowed in but the privately owned stuff is almost always excluded? I know some of you are going to say, your wrong, your wrong I got my lettuce thru the last time! You don't have me yet because the inspector doesn't have to let anything in; its at their discretion! Its real power, isn't it??

I spoke to a very nice, Russian born, California biologiest working at the CDFA. She told me, in her very thick Russian accent that all Fruits and Veggies (F&V) are subject to inspection and if the inspector doesn't like what he or she sees, it will not be allowed in. She also said absolutely NO citrus! So, If I was driving a semi load of oranges in, and I had the right paper work and the inspector found no bugs, I would be allowed through BUT, if I was in my RV, its gone, no ifs ands or butts! Truck load, gets in, my bag, no way! The commercial guys are protected because they know the law while the private citizens are divided and concord!

For fun, lets look at the economics of this, shal we? The California Ag web site says there are over 30 million vehicles passing through their boarder (i.e. state line) check points annually. Lets say that 60% of those "vehicles" are not even stopped because they have the right plates (profiling). Now lets say, of the remaining 40% that are stopped, only about 1/4 of them have something taken (i.e. stolen). Now its getting fun, right?;-D I had a little over $30 worth of F&V stolen from me, most of which was allowed but the guy didn't like the way it looked so, gone!

For the sake of argument lets say, to be fair, instead of using my $30 number, lets say the average cost is more like $5 worth of food stolen per clip. Ladies and Gentlemen that means that if just $5 worth of food is taken from only 25% of the 40% of vehicles that are stopped, on the conservative side (anything east of I-5 accept Sacramento, Modesto and Chico State) California is "confiscating" around $15,000,000 worth of food per year from people traveling into the "Golden State"! That's a darn nice chunk of change, don't ya think? But hey, its ok because where are they going to replace that $15,000,000 worth of stolen stuff? That's right, CALIFORNIA! Am I wrong?

Back to Rights; If you choose to be an honest RVer and you tell the inspector you have some F&V on board, they say the have every right to come into your home and inspect it and if they don't like the way it looks (i.e. its not from California) it all goes in the trash. No recourse, no due process, no rights no reason.

By the way, California Department of Food and Agriculture was started in 1919 and their first check point was put up in the early 1920's. I believe Tom the Administrator said you had a very large MedFly outbrake in the 80's? Today the CDFA has 2300 employees and spends close to $400,000,000 per year of the California Tax payers money. Money I'm told you don't have in California? Am I wrong?

Why don't we try going back to individual rights and see how that works?

Most respectfully
Bill

I think this discussion has gone about as far as it can go. You can all resort to PMs if you want to continue in private.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom