Federal Shutdown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Our VA and federal retirement were also deposited today. We'll see what happens with the social security deposits, mine in 2 days, Mike's the middle of the month. We used to say that the good news was that our retirement was federal. Now we say the bad news is that our retirement is federal.

Wendy

John From Detroit said:
You know... This whole mess reminds me of the child who gathers all his toys and goes home cause he did not win the game.

They need a good spanking.
John - you hit the nail right on the head.!  :)

They did sign a bill for the military pay to keep going during the shut down... Must be some votes there somewhere..

I read that SS checks will not be stopped.  For me and my crew, we are in Yellowstone, we are shutdown, so can't open our store.  We can stay but not allowed to recreate.  I can drive out of the park to buy groceries, but can't stop to photograph the trumpeter swan fighting off the grizzly bear. 

Campers and folks in the hotels have 48 hours from noon today to vacate.  Timing was as good as possible, we just finished inventory and closing of 3 stores.

I feel horrible for the folks that just arrived, many from Europe with the ream of coming here, only to find they can't enter.  Seems like there ought to be a better way, let them in, just have services closed.

We are closing (scheduled) to close on Nov 3rd for the break until winter season starts, (Dec 15th), just wondering when the tpping point is.  Shutdown lifts by 5th we open.  Shutdown lasts till the 12th, will we just stay closed?

We had lunch in Bozeman today and the owner commented  on the large number of tourists that were there for lunch.  I had just dawned on him  that they were here for the park and now are shopping and touring Bozeman hoping for an early resolution. :(

PancakeBill said:
We are closing (scheduled) to close on Nov 3rd for the break until winter season starts, (Dec 15th), just wondering when the tipping point is.  Shutdown lifts by 5th we open.  Shutdown lasts till the 12th, will we just stay closed?

BTW, this is just guessing on mypart, have heard nothing to support this, just using some adjustable decision making data.

I see there is a plan to fund Park System and a few other entities for duration of the mess, hopefully, it will pass and we can get on with the Park system, 'for the enjoyment of the people.'

OOps, just heard Reid will not allow it to pass. 

This could be a good thing, .....maybe  the government is just like my computer....when it gets all loaded down with crap

I shut it down, ......then start it back up .... and it works better  ;D

( a little humor always helps )

What is one of the most bizarre government program canceled by the government shutdown? The Gateway National Recreation Area in Sandy Hook, N.J., has furloughed its poison ivy-eating goats.

Only in America

I remember visiting Gettysburg battlefield during the 1990 Columbus Day weekend partial shutdown. We could drive on the battlefield roads but couldn't enter the visitor's center or use the restrooms located on the battlefield.  Now, according to the Harrisburg Patriot newspaper, the Museum & Visitor's Center and the Cyclorama are open to visitors because they are operated by the nonprofit Gettysburg Foundation, but the battlefield roads are closed to cars and even pedestrians are banned from walking on the battlefield.  That's a real shame to anyone who has come a long way to see one of America's most historical sites.

No Tony, this is just the pre-season, the full shut down come in a couple of weeks when/if there is no agreement on the "debt ceiling".  At that point, if there isn't any agreement, the government can't write cheques for anything, and nothing gets paid, so it then becomes a full shut down. 

Ed

I have a feeling that the park management here at this COE park are keeping it open on their own.  They have moved one of the volunteers out of the volunteer area and they are on one of the sites in the park.  There is a sign at the gate house telling arrivals to check with that host if they want a site and do not have reservations.  If this is the case, I congratulate them on taking charge and making things work.  More power to them.  Arrivals continue to come in all day.

I guess I look at this a bit differently.  Keeping the parks open is important, but nowhere near as important as the myriad of other government programs that are impacted by this shutdown.  Parks are great.  Parks support a lot of business nearby.  But, parks do little to feed and house or provide medical care for the millions of kids and low income families in need as well as seniors' meals-on-wheels.  The 800,000 or so government employees being furlowed will, no doubt, have difficulties meeting financial needs with no paycheck, but jerking away the safety net for millions has a far greater impact in my opinion than the inconvenience of delaying my vacation or "fun" time.

It's not just the government employees at the parks. There are hotels and restaurants losing business. There's the guy who sells souvenirs outside the park. The concessionnaire employees in the parks are being laid off. And there's a big loss of tax revenue for the states. It's a snowball effect.

Wendy said:
It's not just the government employees at the parks. There are hotels and restaurants losing business. There's the guy who sells souvenirs outside the park. The concessionnaire employees in the parks are being laid off. And there's a big loss of tax revenue for the states. It's a snowball effect.
But still not the impact of the entire shutdown.  Personally, I'm a bit disappointed that the only concern meantioned here is about the parks.  Yes, the parks are a critical part of our RVing enjoyment, but I would hope that most of us on this forum are more aware and concerned than just for the impact on the parks and those dependent on them.  It's a drop in the bucket.  The snowball effect you mentioned is everywhere, in nearly every citizen's corner and not just around or as a result of closed parks...and it's going to get much worse in a couple of weeks if a resolution isn't made.

Saw a piece on the news here in Phoenix on the Grand Canyon.  Although the park is closed, you can still drive through it as Hwy 64 is a state highway and unaffected by the shutdown.  Of course the visitor center, bathrooms and such are all closed, and while there are cones blocking entrance to the vista sights, some folks are removing them to gain access.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom