Still here, decided to just start new thread

• Thread starter PatrioticStabilist
  • Start date
The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Depending on exactly which day you leave, you might get there 1-4 days before the gathering is "semi-officially" over, but there'll still be some folks there for several days after that, most years. I say "semi-officially" because there's nothing really official, other than people deciding to gather, and the typical QZ activities, flea markets, shows, etc. will still be going for several weeks after the "semi-official" ending.

Is it possible that you have an engine "block heater"?  The plug to turn on the block heater is often in the compartment under the bed over the engine.  When it's cold, we plug that in which really helps to get the engine started.  Of course we are in central California where the lowest we've seen in a while is 14 degrees.  We just talked to my husband's sister in Fort Wayne, Indiana and it is supposed to get down to - 20 tonight....burrrrr!

Are you still thinking of coming to Quartzsite?  If so, it will be much warmer there.  We are headed to Palm Springs on Monday; then on to Quartzsite.

Marsha~

I have one for the genny, Tom thinks we have one for the engine too, there was a plug not plugged in laying in the cord compartment and I think one in the closet.  I didn't know what they were and Tom really didn't look.  It's started easy in the 30's, of course we doubt it would now.  In a week I imagine warmer, he doesn't think I will have a problem once it warms up some. 

I was just wondering if I wait 2 weeks if its to late to even go.  I think I can get out of here in a week if I can get everything to fall in line.  Need to get doggy a bath and nails trimmed to stay at MIL's was going to do all this stuff the last week.  Also get my 4 back tires.  Get Sue Anne's meds. I broke a cap off and ought to see a dentist, its not bothering me but I'm afraid it could start hurting. I'm guessing it had a root canal but don't know.  I would like to get to an oral surgeon and have it pulled and prepped for an implant. I have 2 old ones behind it and hubby thinks I should get those pulled too and just go for implants in all 3.  It would be a permanent fix.  I would get a bone graft now and then it would be 6 months to a year for them to be completed so no issue with that part. Just don't want to drive that far then miss things.

Afterward we may just head across and go down to Florida for a bit.  We are talking about possibly and I say possibly looking for a lot for the motorhome or even a house if the price is right for winters maybe around Estero, Bonita Springs, or Naples.  But Tom doesn't think he would go much so I hate to buy something for just Sue Anne and I.  He doesn't care if we go but I don't think it would be much fun without him and he thinks he would be bored.  Retirement is going to be hard for him.  He is restless now as its to cold for him to work outside and all the man wants to do is work, jeez!  I got over that. If he can't settle into retirement I wouldn't be surprised if he works.  That's what happens when you have worked 6 and 7 days a week your whole life, never had time to develop any hobbies.  I feel sorry for him, actually he just seems lost when he isn't going to work.

Carolyn, I can't see buying a lot anywhere unless you plan to spend a lot of time there.  Ownership makes you feel like you "have" to use it and then you lose the flexibility you wanted when you bought the motorhome in the first place.  Once you've seen more of the country and had a chance to use the motorhome for traveling, then you might want something like a lot.  It's funny because we went through this back when we were skiing.  Should we buy a condo at wherever?  We decided we would feel like we always had to ski there which meant we wouldn't go to the numerous other ski areas we had available.  In the end we did not buy a ski condo and have never regretted the decision.  In fact I'd have to say we were glad we didn't because life intervened and we eventually quit skiing.

ArdraF

Yes, I see your point.  I was just thinking if Tom had somewhere to putter he might like going more.  He is not
one to set in an over 55 park and do nothing, can't say I am either.  Neither of us are golfers and though I like
fishing Tom doesn't and boating isn't for him.  We would fish off a pier somewhere so no big issue for that.  He
isn't against anything we want to do, I would just like him to feel like he is included too.  Hard to do with a
workaholic. I am a semi retired workaholic, yep on the recovery program, sometimes succeeding, sometimes failing.
::) ;)

I saw a place in Florida with 5 acres and a modular, he is going oh I could take the tractor and brushhog down there
and work on it.  He sees the duplex in Texas as some place he can go twice a year and clean up the back acreage.
He was talking today, when I retire may get a tractor and blade and I could clear all the streets in our tiny town
of XXXX for people.  THAT is how he sees retirement, but I've basically been doing the same thing.   

I don't know we talk and it goes back and forth, we are so indecisive about something like that, what can I say.
It's all up in the air for sure. I just hope we stay healthy so these are our biggest dilemnas  in life.

One of his good friends just retired, he is coming over tomorrow. They are both going to work on finishing out my tile project
in the basement.  I told Tom, you guys have maybe 4 hours of work left and then it will be I did this!  He! He! But there are some heavy cabinets to move so ok with me.

Then they are going out and putter with the motorhome.  It's warmed up, so they are checking things out, what I don't know.
They were childhood friends and still friends so this is a good thing and I like he is doing that.  He is reconnecting with people
here he knew and his folks knew so that makes me happy for him.

Yeah  Rah!  Just ordered my new rear tires, 4 of them and the extended steel stems so I can check the inside dualies.  They are
to arrive on Tuesday.  I sure hope they do, got my front ones there too. My toad also has all new tires.

So about my last step to taking off for a bit, should have done this before now and just didn't get to it. Hubby started and run things and checked them over to make sure nothing froze.  He loaded me some extra 50 50 antifreeze too.

It may be warm enough before I go to dewinterize, we shall see.  I have underbay heating and could drive out of the cold in around
2 days.  Have to see about that, won't put on water till the day I'm leaving.  Also intend to get the motorhome weighed north of
Evansville so I can adjust tire pressures if needed.

I rarely make reservations but I did for next Tuesday at the Shady Lane RV Park in Quartzsite, don't know if its good or bad but
the lady I talked to was very nice.  We are going to stay for 10 days, sounds like we will get to see the balloons also.
I'm guessing the sites are tight as she was saying it is easier with no slides, tells me tight spots, I told her would be better if I could get a pull through.  I can back but in tight quarters would not want to hit anybodys motorhome, rv, or anything.

I decided parking in the dessert and having limited water and going and dumping the sewer stuff and not being able to use the W/D
wasn't my cup of tea especially with Sue Anne.

Now I hope they get the closing for the property done so I can sign off and get out of here.  Was planning on leaving Friday morning, hope there is no delay. Lot to do still between now and then.

I guess its odd to get excited over new tires but I am for what they cost I could have some nice jewelry.
We are getting ready, hope to load it tomorrow.

Supposed to get 16 tonight so set up diesel heater in garage, think it said it will run about 7 hours, likely off a couple of hours before I get up.  I may run out tonight and refill, made sure the thing wasn't pointing to any item as it puts out some heat, set it
for 40 degrees but doubt it turns off.

Got our home in Houston closed today, will miss it.  Nice place here but was there for 20 years, now this has to feel like home.

Glad to hear your Houston place closed.  I felt the same way when we left California.  We hope you have good weather and good roads for your trip.  I saw your question about the campground but didn't know anything about it.  Looking forward to seeing you in Q!

ArdraF

If I ever get there!

The notaries were frantically trying to get in touch with me Friday.  I didn't get away till after 10, to cold to load stuff the night before.  I did do clothes but no foods or anything liquid was like 15 or something.

So I only get as far as Vincennes and they finally got me on my cell.  The notary did not do the contract right and everything had to be resigned.  So I had to sit at the truckstop and wait until they got another traveling notary to come.  We finally got the papers signed.  I drove as far as I could but didn't make very good progress spent the night in a truck stop.

Today, oh my God,  the wind on 55, 57, and down to where I stopped in Marian, Arkansas was unreal.  I was trying to see how fast it was blowing.
I stopped and the motorhome was rocking like crazy, I couldn't believe it, never saw anything like that.  I saw quite a few newer ones going 50 and 55
but I'm afraid someone will run over me and if I stayed behind that made me doing about 45 so I managed at least 60, but either was just to dangerous to drive one of these. I'm sure the truckers were affected to, was very bad.  And I'm exhausted, so I just happened to find a KOA here.  They just have a few sites open in the winter and I nabbed one, stopped way to early but just wasn't worth it.The available sites are pretty full they don't keep many open in the winter, the campground lady said everyone was complaining about the wind.  It is warmer here 53 but to be 29.  I think once we are done washing and cleaning up I will turn off the water and drain the hose, the bays should be warm with the furnaces on.

I was going to put water in my tank.  There had been a leak and Tom repaired it, well hate to tell him but repair didn't hold, so going to see what I can get done out there if I ever get there.  When I get to the campground going to have to remove stuff in my bays and dry under the mat.  There isn't near the stuff in there that used to be there so more a nuisance then anything.  He thought maybe it would hold but apparently not.  He used some
kind of plastic weld like JB weld but likely to much weight from water, I drained the rest back out that I put in. But that's ok, we are here tonight where I can do laundry and we can get a bath. Like folks say travel with the checkbook, and yep I will. But I also brought 2 4 gallon bottles of water as it was
all winterized until tonight.

Wonder what else will happen, since we use this thing about once a year, I expect anything.  But I do have 6 new tires, I'm so proud of them. 

And though there are wind warnings out it has laid a lot already this evening.

I did find that we have a block heater and I found the power cord in the bay tucked up above the transfer switch, I'm sure that's what it is, but
don't think it will be cold enough to need it down here, guess I will find out.  but that driving today was the worst I've ever seen and I've seen winds before, Wow! At least I have a good internet connection here.

Wow, Carolyn, That was such a good description,  I feel like I was in that wind with you.  Good call to  jump into a KOA and wait it out.  We will  be here.  Take your time.  Be safe!

I've said to Jerry at least several times "I wonder if Carolyn got off yesterday as planned."  So glad you got started.  When the blows like that I reduce speed and if it's still awful, get off the road and lay low for a while.  See, you made that decision and ended up getting some things done too.  We're traveling with you!  Stay safe.

ArdraF

Today was a beautiful day to drive.  Got on a really long road project with a narrow lane but was ok.  I'm in Pleasant Hill, Texas tonight east of Dallas. 
I did a foolish today, my motorhome and car were so filthy it was unbelieveable and I stopped at a hand truck wash.  I think it took them awhile to find
the motorhome under there.  On day 1 I kept hitting snow, sometimes lots of it, so it was awful. If not for that I would have been through Dallas on a Sunday instead of weekday, I didn't think it would take so long.  But if I go through say midmorning I should be ok. Tom said take 465 south instead of north.  That's my only really big city on the way. I swear he calls me twice a day, I tell him I'm fine but he must worry, he doesn't need to we are just fine.  Only think I need is handcreme, I keep forgetting to buy any, big need!

He also told me have a new water tank put in, he said he has tried twice and it obviously is not going to hold, so I will.  We talked about buying a newer motorhome, but I really like to drive this one. The only thing that would be very nice and I know we would like them are some slides like our last one.

Sue Anne and I take way to much.  I get it loaded then I think oh I could use that or I could use that and end up with to much stuff.  But then its nice when I do need one of those extras.

Miss Kitty is doing well, I brought her heated catbed and she spends part of the day in it asleep or with Sue Anne.  Apparently the diesel engine doesn't bother her to much I guess.

I need to get to bed soon and get a good nights sleep so I can get out early in the morning.  I haven't been on I 30 since they raised the speed limit to 75, but that's to fast for me.  sometimes I go 70, but 65 is a pretty good speed for me, I can get behind a semi and do pretty good at that speed.

We stopped at a Subway at a Flying and Sue Anne used her card a Christmas gift, for our lunch today, she was so pleased with herself.

The lady at the campground in Quartzsite told me the balloon races will be going on, I would like to see those. 

We thought we might stay 10 days and I haven't told Sue Anne but we may head on up to Vegas, been a couple years since we have been there.  There is a very nice RV Park right off the strip.  We usually park the car out there and take the bus places.  I just can't tell her we might do anything or its engraved in stone.  She loves to go places. I need to look at the weather sometimes as I'm sure many of you know its brutally cold out there this time of year.

Let me get this posted before I have more either computer issues or accessibility issues.

We are in Lordsburg, New Mexico, in a KOA campground, this is not far from the Arizona border. 

This was another good driving day.  In retrospect after Tom was delayed a week I should have waited till next year to come.  But I keep putting things off and decided not to.  I would have been there today if not for Fridays closing issue and Saturdays wind, but such is life.

It's been quite awhile since I'm been on 10 out here and had no idea the speed limit was 80, of course, I'm not driving that fast, but 70 is pretty comfortable.  On most roads I like 65 better.

We stopped in Midland last night and that place is like some wild west town.  I felt uncomfortable going to any of the campgrounds so we just stayed at the Flying J parking area.  The truck drivers don't bother me.  We ran our genny for the furnace  and they run their trucks.  Sue Anne and I even got a nice clean handicapped shower stall and cleaned up so that worked well.  Only issue was I had to either pull in or back in so had to unhook the toad, but didn't take long.
However, I felt like this morning that I had bunches of eyes watching me while hooking up.  It felt that way anyhow whether there were or not.  But it turned out well.

Tonight while here trying to catch up some laundry.  This Splendide is bigger then the old one but still pretty slow drying.  So I decided to get everything washed and hang some up in the bathroom, they will dry good in there, and then put the towels and heavy stuff back in and let them finish drying.  We sure dirty a lot of clothes seems like.

Feel pretty good tonight, driving was a pleasure today.  Hope tomorrow is as good.

Carolyn, you're almost to Arizona and the farther west you come the faster your clothes will dry.  I usually take them out of the dryer while still damp to speed things along and they dry really fast and less wrinkled.

We're waiting for you!  ;)

ArdraF

Got to get moving, slept a little later this morning.  I did hang a lot of the laundry, its all dry this morning, only 1 wrinkled shirt of Sue Anne's and I do have an ironing board.

Ok, hope to see all of you that are there later today.

And NO I am not missing Indiana.  I told Tom if that kind of weather keeps up each winter, I won't make it there,brrrr.

Gotta get unhooked!

Sorry we missed youall this morning.  Sue Anne and I went to the big tent and saw all the displays of everything RV.  Had a good lunch of barbeque, got home made taffy.  Sue Anne was looking at the Splat balls, which I thought she didn't need, and some older gentleman bought her one anyway, somehow she always gets what she wants, so we thanked him, a very nice gesture on his part.

So we are finally back to the motorhome, right now I have time from 3 different time zones, guess this is mountain time.

Our RV guy came by at 8:30 last night and couldn't see of course, he is coming back at 3.  He said don't run  water so he can see where its coming from so I haven't done laundry, used the showe house last night and only used the sink this morning.  He is thinking it may be the t trap on the washer instead of the storage tank, Tom said it very well could be as he does't think he got enough in to winterize it, guess we will find out.

I am also going to see if I can find an awning guy to make me new pull down straps for the awnings.  They are all under the metal shields so awnings are fine just the exposed part of the straps are not so good.

We see other vendors and tents we are going to visit, there is a lot here for sure.  I found out there is a trolley that goes all over town, comes back around at 45 minute intervals so going to take advantage of that.  Also saw a sign for dune buggy tours.

Tom thinks when we leave later we should go to California and I just may, think Vegas is in the cards, so to speak too!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom