Still here, decided to just start new thread

• Thread starter PatrioticStabilist
  • Start date
The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They brought me a bunch of guides, one tells where motorhome compatible fuel stations are off the interstate system.  That will be very handy as I plan to try to run more roads off the interstates and it can be a problem finding fuel at times..

She and I must be getting old because I think we pooped out before they did.  But we enjoyed every minute of it.

I don't know where they get their energy, but I'd swear they are 20 year olds in disguise...  ::) ;D

They are 2 Energizer Bunnies!

I kept thinking that some of the water I was seeing could not be coming from the fresh water tank.  Tom said you can get quite a lot of water out of it even if it says empty.  Ok, I suppose so.

But I thought, I put a bucket under the fitting under the fresh water tank and I'm still seeing some water. This is driving me crazy, I told Sue Anne, I'm going to find this leak or die trying.  So I looked behind the washer, had my head stuck in there, lucky I didn't get it stuck, dry, looked in the water heater space behind it, dry and pulled drawers out at the bottom of the closet dry.  Pulled out the panel in front of the water filter, looked down in there, dry as a bone.  I got in the bay on the passenger side and looked up, there was some moisture on a small tube, I'm thinking icemaker.  So I went inside and pulled the grill off under the ice maker.  Wouldn't you know, water was dripping out of the fitting, where the brass fitting fastened to the plastic fitting and was following it down through the floor, was a puddle under the icemaker.  I'm thinking its likely cracked, I tried tightening and it made it drip faster.  I put a towel under there and looked in behind it, quite a bit of water there.  So I took the fitting off all together, I also had it turned off outside in the bay and under the sink so not sure where all of it was coming from, none ran out of the fitting, it had been off for at least 3 days??  I put the brass fitting back on the plastic and tightened and tightened the nut too, it stopped, apparently nothing was cracked.  I dumped the ice out, I had been using some from Quartzsite and it tasted bad.  I defrosted the icemaker, cranked it up so it would remake the ice fairly quickly.  I like all my drinks with ice, no matter how cold.  I turned it all back on and I've been watching it for the last couple of days no leak. We got lucky on that one, didn't freeze and bust, must have just worked loose over time.  If it does it again we likely will have to replace that little plastic valve but I doubt its needed.

Tomorrow I need to get in the bays and check, I'm starting to wonder if maybe that water is what was running around the fresh water tank and out instead of it leaking.  Well, I can hope can't I, wouldn't that be something.  I like fixing things myself!

Another beautiful day!  We are being sooooo lazy, not going near the places we wanted to.  But we have seen a lot fo them before.

I have a few errands to run today, got some groceries yesterday, have fresh steamed green beans last night and barbecued chicken, yummy.

I think I will take Sue Anne to Senor Frogs today for lunch, then other attractions down there.

I hate to have to leave this weekend, have to go back home to do taxes, boo hiss and submit them to hubbies company so they can do a combied return.

Also need to relieve grandma of dog care for about a week.  Check on everything, we may take off to Florida till Tom gets home in April, we shall see.

Ok, everyone have a great day, we will!

Jerry and Ardra brought me a big bag of all kinds of guides the other day.  I see one is in Wyoming, I so hope to get to Yellowstone this year.  If I didn't plant a garden I could, but I'm not ready to quit doing that yet so need to work around it.  They also gave us a list of attractions around Vegas and a map.  Talk about thorough.

We're just glad you and Sue Anne enjoyed the day as much as we did.  I loved the comments about our energy because I always say Jerry is my Energizer Bunny.  We're thankful to be so healthy!

ArdraF

He sure is, and both of you have minds as agile as people in their 20's, so refreshing.  Wish my mom and MIL had been like that, they were just willing to stay in a rut and afraid to venture out, though mom did more then my MIL.  You can hardly even get her out of the house.  I couldn't live that way. She has nothing new to talk about, nothing different, personally I think that ages one quicker then anything.  She does walk daily so keeps her body working at least.

Hope you guys have many more good years ahead of you.

We are off to the strip again today and to the Michael Jackson tribute show tonight soon as I buy tickets.  Hope its good.

The show was really good. Not Michael of course but probably as close as you can get.  Sue Anne loved it.

I got my tooth pulled today, they said the tooth was dead.  I'm in some pain tonight, not much though.  However, I started the day with a headache and its no better so that hasn't helped.  If anyone needs an oral surgeon in Vegas I would recommend Dr Swanson.  Very good manner, accomodating individual.  With all the patients he has I sure appreciated them getting me in this week.  I couldn't get that done back home.
And the cap I thought was off an implant wasn't, he said it's just a regular cap, so hope to find a dentist back home and get my teeth back in very soon!  At least now I don't have to worry about pain possibly from the one at least.

I don't know if the pain pill with the other meds I take caused issues, but I woke up once and thought mice were running all over me, yuck.  The rest of the night just didn't sleep well at all.  Today I'm just taking a ibuprofen and forget the other stuff. I'm not to sure I need anything for the tooth extraction its mainly for the headache I'm nursing.

We are finally going to M&M and that area today, taking the bus, walking and seeing.  Hope I can find a good soup somewhere, should only need to a day or two.  It isn't bothering me at all but still need to be careful for a couple of days.

I'm going to head out either Sunday or Monday.  I'm watching the weather closely and see southern Indiana is going to get more snow and ice.  It looks good so far on 40 from south of here to about Amarillo.  I will have to decide if I drop down further at that point or continue over to Little Rock, I hope I can do that as it will cut miles off. This trip I wanted to take more time ambling home but I just need to get there to get things done as usual.  In retirement I just seem to still have more to do then I want.  I would like to just be irresponsible and throw it all to the wind at times and just forget it all, just not to be.

I haven't seen any before, but I've just seen 2 motorhomes, much newer then mine in very poor condition here.  What a shame, so much money and doing that. 

But then if they went by age I would not be here so not complaining, just hadn't seen any before that people say would be turned away and I imagine they would be.

Oh well, nothing to me so off we go.   

I am pretty sure I found my leak, of course there were 3 total, the fresh water tank which someone else will have to do.  That is under control for now.

The icemaker valve under the icemaker, its still good, no more water there.

The 3rd may be just embarrassing.  I kept thinking when I turned the icemaker valve in the bay on that water would start appearing, but I was under there feeling the lines, looking up through the floor, all over and nothing was wet.  I had felt some moisture in the bottom of the water bay and kept thinking it was coming from where?  With the icemaker line off there didn't seem to be much, with it on more.  It didn't make sense.

I felt around the hose where it fastens under there and when I bumped it seemed to have water come out.  Today was more water so I looked above it at those fittings.  I thought well maybe the one above is just loose so I was going to tighten it, mistake more started coming out.  There was a repair guy 2 motorhomes down so I went to talk to him, he was just finishing.  The lady there said he just fixed a leak she had chased for a year or more.  He came over and he bumped that fitting and it came pouring out so we turned off the water.  He took it off, its an internal pressure reducer valve, the thing inside was all rusted and had holes, I wasn't getting as much water out as I thought I should.  He said it was done, looked good on the outside, but the inside was something else.  So he replaced that. Looked good, so I turn on the icemaker and we were settling the bill, I said look at that water.  I'm thinking it was coming from it no.  So he is wiggling the hose around and water is coming out of the fitting under the hose itself, say what??  We just left that end hooked up and don't unhook it.  He said it doesn't take much to ding the end and it leaks.  So we undid it.  I had to go to Walmart anyway and picked up a better quality hose, the old one was white and pretty cheap, I got a blue one with metal ends instead of plastic, its also 35 ft, longer then I wanted but well ok.  I hooked it up, no water.  Turned on the icemaker still no water.  Came in greatly improved water pressure.  I've checked it twice so far and no more leaks. Can it really be something so simple, oh I hope so.

What I still don't understand is why it seemed to leak more when I turned on the icemaker tube.  Maybe exerting more pressure on those openings so leaking more, I don't know. When I put the new hose on much better flow.

I will check it a couple more times before bed to see if there is any water there before I think its good.  I am going to turn the icemaker water off tonight and the under the sink valve to it as I don't want to mop again, then turn it on again tomorrow to see what I have while we are still in.  Crossing fingers.  But if it doesnt then we are down to the tank to be fixed and maybe the icemaker line. I can't believe its that hard to chase them down but guess it is for me.

So far so good.  I turned the supply knob to the icemaker tube off for the night, not taking a chance, but so far nothing wet.  Oh happy day.  I was looking for something big instead of something simple I guess.  The water was dripping on the floor of the bay, seeping under the mats in the bays and was not enough till today for me to see where it was coming from.  Lets see if it stays dry tomorrow.  Water pressure is very good now too.

I'm watching Food Inc this morning.  I had heard about it but never watched it before.  And I wonder why I have stomach and bowel issues.  This week after eating out I end up with diarrhea and one night even throwing up.  It's getting more frequent.  Yet if I cook things I've raised myself I do not have these issues or the beef, pork, and chicken from the local farmer.  There definitely is something different.  I had brought meat but lost it all when my fridge failed. And whatever they are doing to food its effecting me more all the time. Also when I cook at home I rarely have issues even if its purchased foods from a grocer.  I'm very selective where I buy meat from.  It tells me I'm sensitive to something for sure.  Tom thinks its some things they clean the foods with to sterilize it.  Even he with a caste iron stomach is having problems on occasion anymore. It's easy to see how our food is effecting us.

They said in 72 we had 50,000 FDA food inspections, in a more recent year 9,124.  They are appointing lobbyists to head those agencies and they don't want inspections.  They said now only 13 slaughterhouses process all the meat.  And you should see how chickens, beef, and hogs are raised. 

It turned my stomach first time I saw the beef in feed lots in south Texas standing in manure.  Some of the cattle were laying on piles of it and their coats were covered in it.  Like they said no wonder we have ecoli.  In the speed they process it they can't get it all off.  Then think about all the antibiotics they use to keep animals healthy.  They showed one chicken producer, she said she couldn't do it much longer.  They raise the chickens so fast they can't stand up or walk but a few steps without falling.  She refused to raise hers in total darkness and they terminated the contract.  She would go in daily and pick up dead chickens.  They explained that corn is produced below cost and subsidized, then used to feed everything because it makes them gain weight and get fat quickly.  Frutose is used in everything no wonder we are getting fat, even in Motrin!  They were showing how they were killing bacteria in meat spraying it with ammonia.  I have actually bought meat that smelled like it and threw it away.

I was thinking of no longer raising a garden, but I think in my case it might keep me alive and more healthy. I'm going to continue raising my garden, though I can't find the seeds I used to.  I have some heirloom but they aren't what my dad raised either. I can see the difference.  Also going to continue buying meat and eggs from the farmer I go too.  I may start raising chickens again.  I have a small green house Tom bought me and we need to put up.  I doubt I get it up in time this spring but I will next. I'm thinking of more people were sensitive like I am to chemicals that the industry would have to change.  I've known for a long time some of it is the food, but for me its getting worse I guess as they put more chemicals in it.  Just a guess on my part.

If you want to keep eating what and how you are, don't watch this show.

So far no water anywhere in the bays and the icemaker is on too.  I still can't figure why it would have leaked more with that tube turned on.  Perhaps it allowed more water through putting more pressure or something in that area.  Going to leave it on all day and see what happens.

I am getting ready to take off tomorrow. I checked my tires, including toad, oil levels, water levels in  radiator overflows, everything looks good.

Someone has gone off and left a little yapper alone, he has barked all day so far, I just hate that.  I don't know why but a barking dog puts me on edge. 

Today eating before we go out.  Had a hamburger with Worcestershire and some cottage cheese.  I am feeling fine, just going to have to eat in more, for me the plainer the better.  Surprisingly I can eat at McDonalds of all places and it doesn't bother me but I only like the egg McMuffins though I will eat a hamburger if I have too.

We'll keep our fingers crossed that you found and corrected the water leak.  Water leaks in RVs are almost always a mystery unless it's a gusher, so you're not alone in your frustration.

Have a safe trip home, hopefully with gorgeous weather, no snow, and no ice!

ArdraF

No leak, I'm almost thinking of putting some water back in the fresh water tank to check it but I'm pretty sure it will still leak.

we didn't make it far.  decided to stop in Williams! Arizona for kind of brunch.

we ate at a great little place with home made croissants and other goodies.  got to talking and found out if we didn't stop at least till flagstaff not to many RV parks after that.  there is a very  nice one here.  while checking in we found they have a train that goes to the Grand Canyon and also bus tours while there if you want to go.  they have heated pool and hot tub, sue Anne doesn't want to go.  shuttle bus to everywhwere so you don't have to unhook. we have been to the canyon before but not on a tour, so decided to stay 2 nights and go on it.  strats at 9 with a gunfight!  Then we got the dome car, I think it will be great, will be back at 5ish.  Just wish it was a steam engine, they only run it occasionally.

we are never going to get home!

that was posted from my IPad, but prefer a laptop.

That train is great, we've ridden it twice. The bus tour we took included lunch, as well as a number of nice views of the canyon. The train ride was super -- we were in the Chief car (I'm not sure they still have it) one way, which was luxury for only $10 more (1994, though). Home cars, our own server, nice snacks. And the train as a whole reminded me of the trains I rode as a kid (late '40s and early '50s). Love that clickety clack of the wheels, and the unique sound as you pass through the vestibule between cars, and the aroma of a train...

The gunfight is neat -- you see those folks later, too.

If the train ride is fun for both of you, then sometime when you're in northern New Mexico or Southern Colorado you should take the Cumbres & Toltec Railroad which runs out of Chama, NM to Antonito, CO and back. Actually, you can ride it either direction, and stop halfway for lunch, or go the full route and take a bus back.

I'd also consider the Durango & Silverton Railroad, running out of Durango, CO.

Both of them are leftover parts of the Denver & Rio Grande Railroad that (over a hundred years ago) ran from Denver into the mining country of southwest Colorado.

Have a good time.

It was fabulous!!  We rode in a dome car and got a treat we never anticipated.
On holidays they run 4960, a steam engine and today being pres day they ran it.
I got some pictures but will likely have to post them after getting home.  this was a great finale to our
Trip.  I would recommend this to anyone, Sue Anne and I had a wonderful time.

Tonight we are staying at the KOA campground at Grants, NM.  We are at the one in the middle of the volcanic field, read its the youngest eruption in NM. 

We ate dinner at a good Mexican restaurant on old route 66 for a whole $10.30, Sue Anne got quesadillas, I had 3 tacos and 2 sopapillas and a drink, her drink was extra, what a price.

I was looking at their breakfast menu and one days special was Spam and eggs, I can't remember the last time I had Spam, mom used to cookit sometimes, didn't even realize they still made it.

At the campground in Williams, I unhooked my hose last night went to hook it up this morning and noticed the water was warm.  They have some kind of built in heating unit on it to keep it from freezing.

Here in Grants they have heat tapes on their pipes, but she said its to get 24 tonight so soon as my last load of clothes are done I'm going out to unhook it.

Getting back to the cold country again, sigh.

Back
Top Bottom