Still here, decided to just start new thread

• Thread starter PatrioticStabilist
  • Start date
The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh wow, we were sitting on the couch this afternoon visiting with MIL.  She said oh look, and when we did we saw the wild turkeys, they came right up to the screened in porch.  In that group there were 9 large ones, I think they were all males though that seems odd to me.  They were all big and all had wattles, I read females do but theirs are smaller.  That was quite a treat but don't want that to happen when my garden starts producing.  I bet they could mow down tomatoes and everything else.  They were huge!

We have a group of 7 that goes through our back yard around 8:30 each morning, and again around 4:30 in the afternoon. They all have "beards" but some are female. One day a huge male saw Becky in the window and started fanning his tail feathers at her and strutting back and forth. I walked outside and went off the porch, and he actually took a step at me. Ha! Ha! He tried to intimidate me! It was cool to watch.

I read they can be aggressive to humans but not often.  I also was reading that at one time they were extinct in Indiana.  They said they relocated turkeys but they had to be wild if they were somewhat tame they didn't make it.  Interesting we are seeing a comeback of animals like turkeys, deer, and the like.

Tomorrow is Sue Anne's birthday, she will be 43, unbelievable to me. (Our son is 45 in April, oh my)

I saw this neat little cake on facebook and pretty much copied it.  Only difference is I didn't use M&M's but candy type confetti, took much sugar overload with the M&M's.  Its a lemon cake and lemon icing, she really likes that.

Attachments

• Trip and birthday 059.JPG
    Trip and birthday 059.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 46
The cake is SO cute!  I like the idea of the confetti instead of M&M's.  I think I will make it for Easter.  Thanks for posting the picture Carolyn!  Happy Birthday to Sue Anne tomorrow!!  :)

Darling cake!  I also like the confetti instead of the M&Ms.  Lemon.  YUM!

ArdraF

She enjoyed herself, grandma came over and had cake with us, her dad sent a present, she already got things from me.  But grandma and I gave her some money, her favorite.  And her dad called so she was a happy young lady.

We are finally finding doctors here.  Got our eyes checked last week, Sue Anne is fine though she is getting a cataract. I needed new glasses
but I could have told them that, eyes changed again and just in 2 years.

Tomorrow a dentist recommended by eye doc.  Initial check up to see what we need done.  I want to get the bottom tooth fixed first unless both will turn into implants, possibly another tooth with issues too.

I expect Sue Anne's to be no more then cleaning as usual, but mine, well we shall see.

He also gave me a good podiatrist that I will get to a bit later.

Still have a few more to get but we are moving along.  Sue Anne has a follow up neurologists appointment.

Next we need a gastroenterologist and then are in good shape.  Hope these guys we are finding are all good.  I so hate finding new doctors.

75 today, beyond beautiful, door open I thought sure we had spring finely.

I don't even want to hear the forecast, I find it totally disgusting.  I thought it would just be one day, now sounds like a week of it.

I was getting ready to back the motorhome out and start washing, cleaning, and getting ready to wax it.  Not going to happen now for sometime
apparently.  I am DONE with winter, sick of winter, please spring come on!

I would like to say everything is wonderful since I got home. 

The situation with my MIL is a mess.  The poor lady is in worse condition then we knew.  Her short term memory is really really bad.  Tom isn't here to see and of course like me he is in denial and thinking some medical something or dietary improvement will help her. 

She is good at covering up but something else.  I thought she could see good, we went to get her new plates for her car.  They said she could renew her license a year ahead, I'm thinking bad idea but, ok.  She could not read the letters thought some were numbers.  The lady was trying to tell her the row or column, but I think it may be more then vision but the actual ability to understand what she was saying.  Then actually saying what she was seeing if that makes sense.

There are so many things but a couple of highlights.  Couple days back she must have been waiting outside for hours, I lock the house at night and let out the dog in the morning and unlock the door, she was standing outside the garage door, scared the crap out of me.  She came in, didn't want to be at the house when her sister came as someone stole her purse.  Say what?  Went through her losing it once already to her finding it.  I said I don't think so, she just knew it was the bum with the gal next door.  So I get dressed go over and we spent hours methodically going through her house and of course found it in a cabinet where she hid it next to the trash compactor. So before I left I said see no one stole it, you had just hid it and forgot where.  She said who said it was stolen?  Ok, whatever.

Today we went out to eat, she wanted to pay but couldn't read the bill was going to take it to the cashier.  I read it to her then she wasn't sure how much money to leave.  Then was going to leave because she didn't realize she had change.  Ok, minor things.

Glasses appointment Monday, I said be sure you have your ins card and drivers license.  She said I've searched all over that lady at the license branch kept my license and didn't give them back.  I says, yes she did I was there and you got them, no she didn't.
Soooooo, I search her purse, her car, start going through papers in the house.  Finally I said lets look in one of the purses you got out when you thought someone had stolen your other one.  Why she would put it there but who knows.  I found the drivers license in them.  I have been honest and said you can't keep this up.  Your memory issues are starting to be more then you realize.  Then I fixed the TV's again because she can't figure out how to use the remotes.  I fix them, the neighbors fix them, they are always messed up.

So I get home and get a call.  And yes I have been talking about assisted living, there is no point beating about the bush, she needs help.

So I get this whole conversation about you are going to put me in a nursing home, when people start taking you to the doctor that's what they are working on.  I tried explaining we are trying to find out the reason for her memory loss and see if its medical or her diet or what and maybe she can be helped.  She says I can stay right here, if I don't do anything then you can't do anything to me.  She said you are only my DIL, she was really trying to goad me into saying something mean I'm sure. I said yes I am and this is something Tom should be taking care of but sons seldom do he is pushing it off on me and I'm trying to help you. I said that's why I'm helping you pay your bills and things, she said I can take care of that, I can do all that again.  Yes like the ins agent that called and said she was in every week trying to pay her car ins over and over and the cable TV bill she wrote 3 checks in a row to for the same bill, yes, she sure can.  Or the renter she has that she hasn't a clue if he is paying his rent or not. Or a purse I found with $6000 in and put it in the bank for her.  Or this last purse she said was stolen but she only had $100 in.  When I found it it had $1500 in it, dear God. Or the local bank that called me and said she wrote them a check to pay and it was her interest statement for her federal taxes so we tore up the check. I  have the money situation in hand, I'm paying all her reoccurring bills by autopay and she does have checks but I'm not sure she remembers how to write them. The last money went in the safe for her, she spends very little. I told her to write a check or get money from the bank or I will gladly give her her money. She doesn't know how to use an ATM card. Or the beauty operator that won't return her calls because she tries to get a permanent every couple of weeks. The property tax office was very concerned when they talked to me about her coming in carrying large sums of cash and paying them, afraid someone would see it and do something to her. Thankfully this is a rural country area where people do look out for each other. You folks would be proud, I did not raise my voice, did not get upset, I was just nice.

I said you are really having problems, she said I can quit driving my neighbors will take me or do anything I need done, and I said but they are all getting old too.  And she does not know they emailed Tom and told him he needed to come home and see his mom that she was having a lot of problems, but I'm not saying that.

So I'm trying to defuse the situation.  I said do you agree that you need glasses, she says yes I do.  I said well lets go Monday and get your eye exam and get that taken care of and go from there.  Again she says what do I need to take, again I said your ins card and drivers license.  She says I don't know where my drivers license are, I don't have them. I said June I was just there about an hour ago and we found them and you put them in your wallet.  She says I don't think they are there, I have to look.  I told her, fruitlessly I'm sure, I said June these are just the kind of issues I'm talking about. No answer.

So we have a doctors appointment Wed, I doubt seriously I can get her to go.  I'm going to stay away if possible till that morning and call and tell her to get ready.  Maybe it will die down but I don't expect it to.

She says I will just talk to Tom when he gets home, I said yes you certainly need to.  He will be in the 4th of April.  This is a situation where Tom is still in denial thinking its just poor diet or not eating enough or some medical thing they can fix.  I went through all that with my mom.  I think its dementia or Alzheimers like her mother had and her sister has now, she is even in worse shape and still running around, her son can do nothing for her either or with her.

But I'm about to give up, I went through this with my mom for 10 years, it was hell.  I have Sue Anne and the Medicaid and new ACA rules are giving me fits with her. Many hours on the phone this last week. 

I may load up the motorhome after Tom leaves and wonder around, either take dog or board him and take cat.  I will leave her neighbors my number, when they can no longer deal with it maybe come back and try to do something or let Tom know. I can't be here and deal with this every day.

This is a real mess when you are dealing with what seems to be a physically healthy person with no way to understand what she is doing.  And will be hard for Tom because on short term visits you just don't see it all.  It took me awhile to realize how bad it is and he will likely think I'm just blowing it out of proportion.  A very sad process watching someone decline like this.

Well Tuesday is my birthday and I'm taking Sue Anne and enjoying it away from all this.  Sadly the 28th is our wedding anniversary and he won't be home for that either 46 years.

And the worst part of all is I'm trying to be compassionate when they were never there for me when I needed help.  I am trying to put that behind me and make sure that I am not like they were and I do the right thing.  That is very hard for me to do, God give me the strength to do it right.

But tomorrow is another day and come hell or high water, I'm going to enjoy it so there!  Whine done!!

Carolyn...I know where you're coming from (my 95 year old mother lives on our property in separate dwelling).  You have got to get help...you are on overload with everything you have to take care of.  You have to make Tom see that what you are saying is true.  Make her go to doctor appt. and give the doc a paper that has what you told us in your post.  Don't try to explain it to the doctor with her in the room...have nurse give him the paper to read before he comes into exam room.  Hope you can get some qualified help to come in a be with her so you can get more breaks.  If not...you'll be the one that needs care!

Get help, Carolyn.  Demand it!  You've handled your responsibilities admirably.  There is only so much one can do to handle dementia.  Been there, done that.  Between Sue Ann and your MIL, you need some assistance to deal with the pressure your loyal and loving nature puts upon you.

Carolyn,

I went through some of what you described with an elderly aunt.  Does mil have a trust?  Is there a provision in it for mental incompacity?  I went through dozens of doctors and bankers trying to get "authority" to control her health care and finances.  Finally I got the name of a psychologist who would do testing to see if she was competent.  She failed the test and with another dr statement I was able to become the Trustee.  It was hell as she turned on me.  She was mean,spiteful and very unhappy with me. It still pains me, but I had to take control so my aunt would not hurt herself.

What I wish I had known is about the dementia caregivers role is that thre are support groups who can help.  What you describe sounds so very normal on the progression of dementia.  It will not get any easier as your moms experience shows you.  Ask the doctor if he has the name of a person who will do that kind of testing. 

I sure hope Tom sees what you see.  You need help in managing this.  Keep on whining here anytime and we will offer an ear and cyber hugs!  Deep breath, deep breath!

But what can you do with someone like that?  She is pretty good at covering, I didn't know she was that bad and I sure didn't know her vision was like that.  I told Sue Anne I don't think she will be riding with her anymore.

I looked at some of the records she kept for taxes and things last year, she was doing pretty good.  This has happened in the last year and I think really advanced this spring. She lost all her papers for her taxes and I have been trying to gather them up.  Some like her pension they won't let me have unless she signs but that I can do its a fixed monthly amount.  Had to go to SS and get copies, of course she has to go. I was going to do them for her, will just turn it over to the people that did it for years, I'm not messing with it, she doesn't even know she has to do them I don't think.  She doesn't even realize what the auto registration is, she definitely should not be driving. Thankfully we hurried and I'm on her insurance so I can get information and with the license branch as a contact.  Also her bank affairs are taken care of.  I told Tom we needed to hurry and take care of things when he was home last time and we did.  We have it all done except a POA which our attorney was preparing.  She was to go with us in April, I doubt she will now.  Thank God I got most of it done.

I keep Tom informed, he knows but if she won't sign a power of attorney or anything what can you do with her?  I knew she was hard headed and was surprised she was willing to have us take over her affairs.  Far as I'm concerned she can have it all back and take care of it.  And yes the last few weeks I decided to just be honest.  I was with my mom and I am with Sue Anne.  They didn't like what they heard or hear but to me the truth is better. She is painting herself in a corner and the one neighbor she is going to call on is a bum, my husband said all she will do is take over his moms new car.  Honestly he is at a loss.

I would almost guarantee you she won't go to the doctor.  I'm going to avoid calling her or anything and leave it alone and see what happens after we get her glasses Monday.  I'm not calling till a few hours before we go.  She forgets everything else maybe she will forget this too.

I took her yesterday to my hairdresser they fixed her hair nicer then I had ever seen it, she never made herself look nice and she has been moreso since we are back.  We all went and got a pedicure because Sue Anne said oh mom grandma never cuts her toenails.  That poor guy had his work cut out for him.  She even decided that was really nice.  Believe me if all I were doing is trying to put her away I wouldn't bother.  But I am stepping back and doing only essentials.  She can start getting the neighbors to find all her stuff and the correspondence she can't figure out what to do with.  I'm an adult but that hurt my feelings.  Maybe we will get her in assisted living but not because we are just trying to put her away. She has no idea how much that hurt me, brought back all those old memories.  I'm almost sorry we came back to help, we gave up our retirement income and everything because I told Tom I didn't want to do like my mom and make her move and be someplace she was never happy again.  I think I made a big mistake.

Tom and I are getting our affairs in order.  We had it in Texas and now are redoing everything for Indiana.

We are getting our wills, our POA's, DNR's, a simple trust for Sue Anne, our son acting as the executor and the trustee for her.  Likely a cousin here who will oversee her monetary affairs.  Hopefully we won't need it for 10 or so years and son may actually get back to the states.  He has been trying but afraid he will lose his job if he does.  One place he was going to transfer he backed out and found out the ones there like him got laid off.  I would rather see him make it there, I think in 8 more years he will have 20 years seniority with the DOD, maybe could retire?

I am actually looking forward to someplace like an assisted living place.  Where mom was was so nice and she didn't have to worry about anything, she hated it.

MIL will resist till she is right, all she will end up in is a nursing home, she said this is the same far as she is concerned. If she would go there it would extend her time being independent, I have talked with them and they said they keep people way longer then most, its local.  She said they only have to leave if they start wondering or running off and have bowel issues.  She said they deal with most anything else and that is a rarity. 

I found out Sue Anne could go there too, and she said she would like that, but she has to be 55.  She doesn't need a group home but I don't know what the youngest age is they can go to assisted living, have to research. It would also keep this pain in the **** medicaid out of her affairs, its just private pay.  She too said I'm trying to get rid of her.  I said Sue Anne, at your age 55 I will be 80, I don't think I can do it that long.  I think maybe 75 if my health holds.  I'm going to see what Tom wants to do when he retires and kind of go from there. But that will be changing too.  I just want a few years.  Tom is very worried about himself.  His grandma had alzheimers or dementia, his moms sister does, she is a total nut case.  Some guy that is fighting going to a nursing home has her taking care of him, don't know about that deal, he has money but somehow has her conned into taking care of him, 80 something, hugely obese and her 82 or 4.  But I won't even get into the nutty stuff she does.  So we have read it can run in families, he is really getting worried.  He said what could you do with me, he said you know if I get like that I won't do anything.  We are hoping the POA will take care of it.

Well so much for all those wonderful retirement years.  Lets hope our worries don't happen.

I finally got to talk with Tom more then a couple minutes.  He said not much either of us is going to be able to do.  Told me to back off for a bit, I said well she was cooperative so I was trying to get everything taken care of.  And when she kept pressuring me about why she needed to go to the doctor I finally told her. 

He said stop and think, he said now she is realizing that she can no longer hide this from others and she is panicking and realizing we think she needs more help and only one place she can get it.  He is a pretty sensible guy, he said I agree diet or nothing is going to help at this point.

I told him I can't go over there every other day and find her missing stuff, that is just stressing me to much, with Sue Anne its mental overload or something. I thought I could handle more, guess I'm wrong.  I'm just going to start putting her off and saying I have this or that to take care of.  He said also don't worry about the neighbor thing, only 2 are younger then her, one is  72 and one is a bit younger then us but she works so not available.  I feel bad as this is a small town area and I don't want people to think I'm awful to her. He said that is going to take care of itself,  he said they know and they aren't going to take care of her needs for long.  She drives very little anyway, but I told him if her eyes are that bad she doesn't need to drive at all.  He said see if glasses will help her, which we are supposed to do and he said he will end up taking the car away if she can't see. 

Ok, I need to take a deep breath. He said just calm down, I wish he were here.  He said what is really left that she could lose and absolutely have to have, I have an extra SS card and ins card, only thing is her license, as you have to have a photo ID now. I have her bills on autopay, I should be able to monitor the very few that are going there.  She has  SS direct deposited so that's ok and hubby and I are both signers, got her safety deposit box closed, she wanted that done and moved the small amount of stuff to ours.  The renter is to send her checks here but I said make them out to her, I want her to sign them, I do not want her money.  I just need copies for tax purposes.  I'm on the insurance as being able to talk with doctors, we got that consent signed and act in her behalf on billings and things. They have notations if anything unusual happens to contact me at the bank.  Same on her license we updated that I am the emergency contact.  I am on all the bills as a contact, there are very few.

The attorney is preparing her POA, that we may not be able to get her to sign, but its mainly for just her health bills. I understand if they get in the ER you can ask for a mental health evaluation.  The house was put in my husband and his brothers name many many years ago and they had a life time tenancy, so that is ok.

I told him after he leaves I am taking off again, I need to get away.  He said go, but I am either taking the dog or finding a kennel, I'm not dumping him on her, that isn't right.  And the yard will be growing, so that is $150 a whack.  I wanted to put a garden out.  Not really feasible in the summer to be gone but a week or two at a time, so I can't just leave for the summer.  I think next winter I'm out of here and going to Florida for some time. There is nothing you can do for someone that is uncooperative, so just play it by ear.  I wish I could have helped her, might have made her life better for a few more years, doesn't sound like its feasible though.  As he says long as she isn't harming herself just let her stay there.

I will leave my number with her neighbors when they need me they can just call and we will go from there. Not a good resolution.

Like Betty said, any time you feel the need to unload we'll be here for moral support.  Just wish there were something useful we could do to help other than listen.

Please enjoy tomorrow and have a great birthday relaxing and having fun.  You're worth it!  ;D

ArdraF

It doesn't make it any less heartbreaking or hurtful, but please know that people suffering from dementia many times become hostile.  They usually direct that hostility to their closest, most helpful and caring caregiver.  It's one of the cruel symptoms of the disease.  You're wise to step back and give yourself a break, Carolyn.  Your health and well being are very important, too.  We care.

One thing we are doing is getting our POA's and everything in order so when son or whomever has to do something with us they can.  We may not be cooperative either but I hope I can be.  I only hope I'm fortunate enough to end up in assisted living and not go directly to a nursing home.  But what will be will be.

I'm going to try to look at even those stages of my life as an adventure if I have enough brain cells to do so!  LOL

I think Sue Anne and I will head to the movies tomorrow, there are some shows we want to see, went day before yesterday too.  Funny how there won't be a decent one and then a slew come in.

This evening I just made us meatballs, spaghetti and sauce with Texas toast we are about to chow down.

Tom will be home from April 4th to April 23rd.  I told him I'm heading out for a week or two if I can after he leaves.  I need him to fix my fresh water tank and look at a couple other items.

My problem is this grass growing and it will start to shortly.  Here you can wait to 1st of May to start a garden so I should be ok there.

I'm thinking about heading to Florida for a couple of weeks this time.  This summer a week here and a week there.  I want to go up north to that Escapees deal where you do driving, it won't hurt me.  Also the one where they weigh and make sure your tire pressures and such are good, but I need my water tank fixed before then.

I will be fine, I just have to realize you can't fix everything in life, that has always frustrated me greatly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom