Still here, decided to just start new thread

• Thread starter PatrioticStabilist
  • Start date
The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not sure I can get it all done yet.  I have to get a disk repaired that I have a problem with.
Its a compression fracture of L4, so not sure what that involves.  Hope to finish my drapes
and things next week.  Tom will have to reinstall, but I want to wallpaper it first.
Not sure if I can strip it or if I will just sand the loose edges and paper over, we shall see.
It's a pretty heavy duty vinyl with no repeat that should last the rest of its life.

Hope there is enough left in the budget to paint the nose.

Hubby was teasing me saying I'm not getting you anything for Christmas, I said that's just
fine, you are getting me Christmas right now! :-* ;)

I told the diesel shop, it should last a few years, he said it should last a LOT of years. 

We now decided on new fuel injectors too, and the pump will  have all new gaskets and
stuff in it.  I don't know what else could be put new on that engine!! 

The original was only 250 hp, they had upped it to 300 right away, not sure what the 
overhaul did, he told Tom they tweeked it about 10%, more?  I forgot to ask.  They wanted
to, he did say if they did to much it would blow black smoke, I don't want that and 300hp is fine
with me, since its only a 4 speed.

They also build high performance diesel engines.  It would out run the transmission :eek:

They also build high performance diesel engines.  It would out run the transmission :eek:

I can see it now, Carolyn and her hot rod RV. Pullin into the RV park with her parachute ejected.

Hi all,

Sounds like Carolyn has done a lot of work on the RV. I hope they are able to get a lot of fun out of it. They deserve it! Bet she can pass anything but a gas station.  ;D

Last trip we took we got about 9.5mpg, Tom was surprised.  I have no idea now.

Tom told me to call and remind them to service the transmission.  I don't know how much
he will go with us, Sue Anne is coming home to stay end of the week.  She is doing better
and we are hoping with dad home and the CIH waiver in place it will work.  This is called
community integration.  We will have help with her behavior, someone to take her 1 or
2 days a week out in the community.  Respite care if we need it and eventually we hope
to get her involved in a day center again, she is fighting that one.  The ultimate goal is for
her and another person to live in a home, apartment, socalled on their own.  They can have
help doing the day or 24/7 if needed, she tells me she is afraid to stay by herself at night,
so we will see how all this goes.  The other would have worked, I think, if it had not been
coed, that I do not understand, and didn't like it from the beginning.

After the first of the year she and I are taking off for probably a month, she wants to head
back to Vegas area this year, been a couple of years.

I don't expect any better performance, its a small engine and limited also by its tranny, I
just don't want to have to add oil and wonder why?? It always ran good anyway, didn't have
issues with that.  Hope it still does.  We could run 70 all day long if we wanted.  A big price
to pay for that one!! :eek:

I ordered Hush Mat, we are going to clean the old falling down insulation in the nose and replace
it around the genny and there are places air is coming in around the left side of the dash
and also want to put some above in those cabinets above the dash, no insulation up there.
We had cleaned some of that deadener stuff out of the genny area and made it louder inside.

Let's hope I can find a paint shop, the diesel place told me about a couple they said are good,
we figure they are also expensive!  There is a corner of messed up fiberglass on the front that
was like that when we bought it, going to have that repaired and the nose painted, the rest of
the motorhome isn't bad.  I'm going to paint each one of those little slats in front of the radiator,
is that going to be a chore.

Now lets hope my back will be good to go so I can hook and  unhook and of course still check
my fluids!!

bad.  Of course painting it all would be ideal but not going to happen.

That is funny about the parachute, in high school, my dad had an old
Henry J he redid.  They put in the year book I was driving in the Indianapolis
500, with the Henry J!! ::)

Well, tomorrow is the day we pick up the motorhome.  It's going to be 16  or lower in the morning.  They said let us know when we are coming and they will have it warmed up and ready to go.  Tom said they want to make sure it starts, LOL!  We never had a problem with it not starting so I hope so.  Since it was in the $$$$$ dollar range it should be a new engine, wow.  About what we
expected.  I has new everything, overhaul kit, injectors, pistons, sleeves, turbo charger, and other stuff I can't remember.  So a very old motorhome with a new engine, hope the tranny can handle it.  It does well but who knows, age on it too.

It's so cold and going to be that way I will likely delay the painting I want done till warmer weather.

I have my wallpaper and intend to get the inside good and warm and keep it that way for about a week and go ahead and wallpaper.
I don't want to put up valances and blinds then have to take them back down to do later.

I have all those done including the headboard.  Still have the bedspread to complete maybe half done on it, and one chair ready to
put the cover on, but I need hog rings and pliers to fasten inside and behind, hubby says has 2 sets but not sure where.  If the fabric is thicker then my mechanical machine will sew when I assemble it all will take to a local upholstery shop.  I will have the cover, batting, piping, lower panels to sew through, will try a leather needle and see how that works.

Hope the overhauled engine will be good for the cost of it.  Time will tell.  Hope I can get ready for January, have to be home by month end to get to the CPA I have chosen.  Time to hand off some work.  Can get quickbooks stuff all ready but been a lot of years
since I have done our returns so think it is better to pass off to him.  I would have to study to get back up to sped I think.

I hope to go to Vegas and hit Quartzite before returning home later in January.  Then wouldn't mind to head out again in maybe March??  Really looking forward to see if I can make it look like I envision.

We are excited, got the motorhome back today, it was 11 degrees this morning, the shop said it took some cranking to start it as it was outside, they had it warmed up for us.  It sure runs good, Tom pulled the dipstick, no blowby anymore, no smoke at all
when driving, didn't do much before.  They are pretty sure the engine got dusted, they said the damage was done to the one
piston by the air intake, he also said the impeller blades on the turbo were messed up, so a complete overhaul was needed,
all new injectors and everything else, but we think worth it.

Tom wants to put a 1000 miles on it as they said to change the oil after a 1000 so he is going to drive it around so he can do
that.  I want to take it down and have the front brakes adjusted, they are fairly new but think they need it.

It's supposed to get 30 and 50 degrees Friday and Saturday so I'm going to try and wallpaper what I can, will warm it up good and let it stay warm for several days and see how it does.  I just don't want to put it together without doing it inside.

Whether we get out in January is to be seen, I hope so.  Really looking forward to it, better acceleration, drives good,  clean
bill on tranny so here's hoping.  She never let me down before, hope it doesn't now.

Sue Anne and I hope to head out in the next couple of days. We just looked at the weather and decided to go next Monday, brrrr.  I got all the wallpapering done, valances and side legs covered.  We got all new cordless blinds except kept the daynights in the back.  Got my windshield curtains done, had to take them in to be pleated. I recovered the headboard and got all new lampshades. I have the sides ready, top, and end piece sewed on the fitted spread.  We are putting the mattress back in so will see if it fits before either I finish it or pay to have it done, I used the old one for a pattern.  With the batting and all its so thick I'm not sure I can finish assembling it may have to take it to an upholstery shop, it won't be ready for our trip. I may have messed up one of my sewing machines on it, it is so thick.

I did a lot of work to cover the kitchens chairs, a real job the way they were made.  However Tom and I liked it so much better with the table out we left it out and the chairs that were fastened to the floor.  He built a bar down the side wall 6.5 ft long and we had some folding Duncan Phyfe chairs from his moms that will fold down and fit the width to store underneath, and now I even have a good place for my trashcan.  It's plenty of room for 3 of us to eat and is almost as good as having a slide, well almost.  We also have a pull out tray in front of the recliner if we need it. I'm going to get fabric and cover them tomorrow, won't take long it is just the seat and very simple to do. It opens it up totally in the front, also if we take old dog with us he now has a place to lay out of the traffic path.

Tom has been reinstalling everything, what a job, he really worked at it. We decided to take the bed base off and see if dirt was coming in against the wall.  We found one place to the far right where they ran a covered electric cord and had a gap of at least
1 1/2 inches there was very little dirt, I was surprised.  But I still ran a strip of good old eternabond across it while he had it off.

He still has to put a couple of support angles under the middle of the bar.  The countertop is almost an exact match to the corian color!
I tiled the back of the stove and sink with a rather busy tile, not sure about it but I doubt I can get it off!

He made it easier for me to open the bay door to the propane tank and the sewage bay.  He said we really need new metal rods on those 2 that pull the latches back.  I want to make a trip to Colaws one day and see what items like that I can find. There are things like some new covers on some switches I would like to find also.

What still needs done is cleaning the ceiling, we have had it several years and by now it could use a good cleaning.  My carpet guy wouldn't do it, afraid the glue would let go.  I hear Stanley Steemer has done some, maybe I can find someone out there to do it.  I have a little steamer but I'm not sure I can use it, the hose is pretty short.

Tom is going to go with us on short trips in the summer, we are looking at Branson, to see some friends of his in W Virginia, and to the Opry, he just doesn't want to go and stay someplace for long. We still have 2 houses to finish, he is doing well on one.  He does not just sit around very well.  I am learning. ;)

It's supposed to get really cold here so loaded some things today like food, have some other items loaded.  We took a bunch of junk out of the bays today, things we don't use.  I'm getting rid of the table top ironing board and get a real one that I can now sit up in the kitchen.

You and Tom have been really busy, Carolyn!  You're going to have a whole new rolling home before you're done.  I'll bet Sue Anne is ready to go.  Have a safe trip and, hopefully, you'll find somewhere warmer to park it.  Happy New Year!

ArdraF

Will you be coming to Orlando/Kissimmee? We are having a mini-rally lunch on January 17th in Lakeland at the Smokin' Bones. We would love to meet you. There is a post about the rally in the Rally section. Safe travels to wherever you go.

I was able to modify the post to insert the rally link.
http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,101279.0.html

We went to Orlando last year, we trade off if we can so Sue Anne wanted to go to Vegas, but she
was crazy for all the flea markets at Quartzite so we will stop there either going or coming we shall
see.  We may even go through Houston on the way back, not sure, to check on a property there we
intend to sell it this year.

We hope to do more short trips this summer and Tom go too, so looking forward to that.  He has been
busy and I was helping then my back caused me a lot of problems but I'm ok well, until it happens again.

He has 2 more houses to get on the market and he is happy as can be working on them, what can I say?

I'm not sure if I wrote but Sue Anne is back home with us.  The experience was not good, it was bad enough
I filed a complaint with the state and they came back with total agreement the other day. She is doing very
well back home and believe me happy as can be to be here.  What will happen in the future we do not know,
will just have to take it a day at a time and hope we can remain healthy.  I could not stand to see her having
to live like that. But also I think she now realizes how good she has it.  Of course most of the behavior issues
she just couldn't help.  I think the new, young doc we have has done wonders for her.

Nice to hear from you Ardra, hope you are both doing well.

I wish we could meet up in Florida, maybe next year??  I think we ate at that restaurant, the barbecue was
delicious, it is barbecue, correct?

We may just do that, we usually go everyother year.  I really need to go further south in Florida to get in the warm, but Sue Anne loves the Orlando area and all the places to go so hard to get past it.  LOL!

Oh and thank you for the kind invite.

We left the 8th of January, fought the weather all the way to Quartzite, had to keep dropping down from 40, to 20, to I 10.  Between the wind, particularly the wind and rain it was brutal.

We stayed in Quartzite only about a week, a few nice days but cold and wet a lot of it.  But TT's, motorohomes, etc were flocking in when we left.

Right now in Las Vegas, plan to stay till weekend.  I up and left Quartzite on the spur of the moment when I saw Sunday weather was good, good day to drive up California 95 that day.  They said day before had been closed for flooding.  I have never seen the weather like this.  But we have still had a great time.

The old diesel is purring with her overhaul. 

I hope to be able to go back on I 40 when we leave but may have to run back down Arizona and back up, not sure what is in the forecast yet.

We have had a good time, need to get home, lots of stuff to take care of.

Hope all are doing well.

PatStab said:
Come to think of it we left Sat not Sunday, I lose track of the days.

Ain't it great?  We were hosting last summer.  About the second week, I went out and bought a watch with the day/date display as I kept loosing track of the day when people would ask me while filling out envelopes.

PatStab said:
We left the 8th of January, fought the weather all the way to Quartzite, had to keep dropping down from 40, to 20, to I 10.  Between the wind, particularly the wind and rain it was brutal.

We stayed in Quartzite only about a week, a few nice days but cold and wet a lot of it.  But TT's, motorohomes, etc were flocking in when we left.

Right now in Las Vegas, plan to stay till weekend.  I up and left Quartzite on the spur of the moment when I saw Sunday weather was good, good day to drive up California 95 that day.  They said day before had been closed for flooding.  I have never seen the weather like this.  But we have still had a great time.

The old diesel is purring with her overhaul. 

I hope to be able to go back on I 40 when we leave but may have to run back down Arizona and back up, not sure what is in the forecast yet.

We have had a good time, need to get home, lots of stuff to take care of.

Hope all are doing well.
You might plan on going the southern route as Feb. is one of the worst for weather months. I-10 East then decide  on I-20 or stay on I-10 till you turn North.
Bill

Back
Top Bottom