Holy Crap!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jej34

Ok so! My fleet wood Niigata had roof leaks at the a/c as they all did (2007)
I have to cut the interior ceiling and foam out to replace a ceiling panel. I set the depth of my saw as to not to come close to the thin aluminum roof and guess what. Blade must of pulled out some and now int went straight through the roof and I have 3 thin slits in the roof 24" long.

Any suggestions. I know you can't get the roof now because the roof company went bankrupt.
I'd hate to repair the cuts, wondering if I can do a go over with aluminum or get a section of the rubber roof material used on other model.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Joe

Shouldn't be that hard to repair.  Put a piece of lumber underneath the aluminum and glue the roof to it so the cuts don't tear further.  Then all you have to do is put down a bead of calking or a strip of Eternabond tape to seal the cuts and you're set.

Probably don't need wood underneath. There's 1" thick high density foam sheeting underneath. I could just drill small holes at the ends of the cuts to stop the cuts from spreading. Really trying to figure out how to re-skin the roof.

Thanks

Unless you can's stand the look of a repair, the re-skin is hardly necessary.

Your totally right bit I'm still paying for this thing and want to do the best I can. I may just go to online metals grab a 35x 35 sheet of .035 textured aluminum and go ove that whole area. Just hate the thought of drilling a series of holes that weren't there befor and hoping the sure bond never fails. Plus looking at a bead of caulk sucks!

the eternabond product will be nearly invisible. as long as the cuts are smooth/ level with the rest of the roof. You could gently "tap" the line smooth and then carefully place the tape along the cut. once down you would really only need to check it once a year to make sure it is still sealed. many RV's have the stuff on the seams anyway. I really think you will add to a problem of leaks by adding a layer of roofing. you would still need to caulk the (now 4) seams of the new panel anyway.

in this case less is more. :)

the eternabond really is the best way to fix it.

Back
Top Bottom