Dodge Ram... Not enough truck!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maxcustody

Well I got back from South Dakota in good shape, but boy did I learn some thing's along the way. First off, I was told I would have no problem towing my Toy Hauler(not by anyone here) with my 05 Dodge Ram 1500. WRONG!!! It has the towing package, 5.7 HEMI, class 4 hitch and I purchased a quality weight distributing hitch. That being said my Toy Hauler has a GVW of 10,000lbs that is way too much for this truck, I thought I would be alright ( I was told , NO PROBLEM), WRONG again. The truck has enough power but it was constantly shifting trying to find that power to pull the trailer. The 1500 is just not heavy duty enough. On some tanks of gas I got maybe 5 or 6 miles to the gallon, if I was lucky....Lesson learned. Today I purchased an 06 F250 Crew Cab, with the Power Stroke Diesel.

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks for the help previously.

Sure wish you had asked here first, before you bought the trailer. If an Rv dealer has ever said "You don't have enough truck for that rig", it hasn't ever been reported here!  Hope you did your arithmetic on that Ford (GVWR, GCWR, etc.) before you bought that one, but a 3/4 ton diesel is probably OK for 10,000 lbs.

Next step: Get the trailer weighed, so you know what you are actually pulling down the road. You need to know that to inflate the tires correctly anyway.

Happy RVing!!!

[Note: you posted the identical message in another section. That's unnecessary and can lead to confused responses, so I removed the duplicate.]

I think you would be just as unhappy with your new Ford truck if you overloaded it by the same percentage.  It wasn't that the Dodge Ram wasn't enough, it was that the Trailer was too much!
Jake

That F250 should be more than enough, shouldn't it. The trailer UVW is 6110. Dry hitch weight is 1160. Dry axel weight 4950. GVWR 10,000.

I don't know what the 250 is rated for but it must be over 10,000 lbs towing. Your new truck is a work horse and should do an excellent job with your trailer.  I hope you will be very pleased with it.
Jake

I know what the rating is!? I have checked all the guides numerous times, after reading the posts on this site and the F250 w/ Diesel should be more than enough truck in my calculations, but after reading all the different calculations on here you guy's have been talking about (east/West 20% safety etc. I am even more confused.

Then Gary you made the comment, the 250 should be OK to pull the trailer? From everything I have read the Super Duty is a very capable truck....to handle that task.

Thanks, it is the 6.0 Turbo Power Stroke. I think I made a good choice as well. I love the truck. It is new and I just picked it up yesterday so I have not hooked up the trailer yet. It say's to wait at least 500 miles before towing anything.

Back
Top Bottom