Steering wheel knob.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WineLuvrs

I want to install the type of steering wheel ball often found on tractors, riding lawn mowers and 18 wheelers.

Has anyone here had any experience with these?

Those were called "suicide knobs" years ago.

These were pretty much outlawed in most places in the 60s because in an accident, they tended to punch holes in people's chests. 

I remember those, found it a bit of a nuisance when my shirt cuff caught it. As Judy points out, they are illegal in most areas now. BTW, never seen one on a riding lawnmower.

terry735001 said:
i was going to say the same thing  here in FL last i know you cant have them

Do you have a reference, Terry?

I find there is actually a suicideknob.net website that challenges the claim that they are illegal in "any" state.

http://www.suicideknob.net/state_laws.html

AMAZON sure has plenty of models available for less than $10.00. I read they are popular when driving a tractor or mower -- or for certain handicapped persons. Delivery folk such as mail carriers like them so many turns can be made with one hand.

I had one on my '51 ford and again on the old '47 plymouth I bought for $125 for my time in home port while in the Navy. A young fellow needed one arm free at times -- such as on dates . . .  :). Of course, then we didn't have to deal with islands between the front seats.

as they say it sometime comes down to who pulls you over 

they was setup and install for the disabled back in the day  and is why its more up to the cop and what its being used for

and its all so why i  said  last i know                    but i have been told by a cop.... many years ago...in FL ... when i had 14 trucks on the road  and one of my drives installed one that it was a no no

i cant find any real info that holds this up    but  a lot of things are just hear say

its like some of the lights kits  you can get for a car that say off road use only              yeah there sold every where  but i guess one has to pick it up  or look at a add for one and see if it says that

i looked at both websites and if i started  looking at all the cods in FL    well i am sure i would look over it ..as there is a lot of info there and amazon i did look at most of the adds and did not see any info  that could says yes or no or off road only ? and if Even Wikipedia claims they are illegal with no references    .. then i am not sure where to look

i am sure some one well have the info where looking for

If I was a cop in WA state and wanted to write a ticket for improper equipment I'd use RCW 46.37.375

RCW 46.37.375
Steering and suspension systems.

(1) Construction of steering control system. The steering control system shall be constructed and maintained so that no components or attachments, including horn activating mechanism and trim hardware, can catch the driver's clothing or jewelry during normal driving maneuvers.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.37.375

Ken

In Portland Oregon back in the 50's we called them "Squirrel knob".  Had one on my 49 Ford.  Dick nvrver

I remember one knob type that would snap into the inside of the wheel when you weren't using it. It kept out of the way until it was needed. If you're bent on using one, that may be a solution that would circumvent WA state RCW 46.37.375 and similar (maybe).

When the pivot pin breaks.....is about the time you'll learn why they call them suicide knobs.  :p

I believe it was the mid 60's.....a 52 Ford full of youngsters out having a good time.  How the hell did we end up in the middle of a corn field?  Suicide knob. :(

One last think, when I was growing up they were called "necker knobs".  The idea that you could do some "necking" with your girl friend while driving.  I never tried it because I didn't have a girl friend.

I have seen a number of folks in this thread say they are illegal.

NOW: I keep a copy of the Michigan Vehicle Code on my hard drive.  I searched first on KNOB (no hits found) and then on STEERING (several hits none of them apply to this thread) 

This leads me to believe that for non-commercial vehicles (I did not search the motor carrier laws as I do not have a copy) they are NOT illegal IN MICHIGAN.

Has anyone posted an actual law?

IF you can post an actual law.. I'd be interested.

John From Detroit said:
Has anyone posted an actual law?

IF you can post an actual law.. I'd be interested.

John, did you read my earlier post? I posted a reference to every state - and according to that link, there are no laws specifically against a steering wheel knob in any state.

I have one in my RV and one in my pickup. I've considered putting one in my Lincoln. I look at using them the same way I do about speeding. Occasionally I get caught and just pay the fine. There are many tradeoffs in life. More often than not though I wiggle my way out of it. I never have been stopped with knob though.

Back
Top Bottom