50 amp surge protection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

69bbc

We upgraded from the PUMA TT to a 2006 Georgetown and I am wanting to install a  Progressive Industries , EMS-LCHW50 . Have read many posts here and the installation seems straightforward & within my skills level. We cant buy the hardwired units in Canada, so I plan to pick one up next trip south. Is this a 60 minute campground task or am I looking for trouble. thanks  Larry

If you have the room for it and are familiar with working on electrical stuff, it should be pretty straightforward. Essentially you break the power cable, strip the wires (both sides of the break), and connect them to six (or eight) points on the device.

Ernie

Depending on where you wish to install it it could be quick and easy or.... you will be working with #6 wire (heavy) so you need the appropriate equipment and take into account the space required for bending this heavy wire appropriately. I would not count on a quick 60 minutes  to do a proper job though, especially in a cramped motor home location. Good advance planning, and maybe some advance work before leaving home (where all your tools are available, heh heh,) will help a lot.

I installed one of these last weekend.  Here is a short thread that I made about it.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,68524.0.html

Ernie summed it up nicely.  In my case, was able to use the existing power cable that was wired into the breaker panel, and connect that on the input side of the surge protector.  Then I purchased a few feet of new cable from Home Depot for the output side return to the breaker panel.  The most difficult part for me was working with the 50A cable.  It's not very flexible, and the most painstaking part was getting the cables lined up into the contactor points.  The output side is even more tricky because two wires are strung through magnets.  It's all a very tight install.    It probably took me 2 hours start to finish.

Regards,
Phil

If you want to use a plug in one... Google Hughes Autoformer Install Kit.

Cheaper to make our own kit (As I did) but... That will do the job and let you plug in the portable unit INSIDE your coach.

And when you upgrade... You can quickly remove it as well.

The wiring is easy enough. The physical location and installation may be hard or easy, depending on what your coach is like and where you want to place it.

Thanks for the points and details. I will plan something out for the location tomorrow ( dry run )  and upload a pix. Plan was to install on the existing power cable input to the power box in the underbelly bin. Have to check in the morning what's in that metal box, looks like a terminal entry.

Checked at RVupgrades on line and they have the bypass model for $310 plus the ride. Depends on the leadtime to ship to Ontario.

I installed one in my Journey similar to Phil. I mounted mine inside near the 240v electrical panel. I detached the existing supply wiring and connected it to the input of the PI EMS. I also purchased a length of the #6 wiring and connected it to the EMS before mounting it and connected the new cable to the main panel. It is not difficult if you can work on it comfortably. The #6 wire is extremely stiff. The only disadvantage to mounting it near the main panel is that it doesn't protect the transfer switch but it does protect the coach from a generator fault.

If you chose to do it by adding more wire, get marine wire as it is far more flexible than wire bought from other sources.

Back
Top Bottom