Hooking up a propane tank to rv

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PjTaggert

I have a stupid question  lol
I cant move my rv at the moment  but I was wondering
if I unhooked the the supply line from the rv tank it self
and hooked up a hose to a external 40 lb tank still using
the rv regulator
and how long do you think a 40 lb tank will last
just using it for heat  and not cooking  or the water heater
right now I cant afford a extenda stay valve
any Ideas  would be great
Thanks

I went to the local hardware store and made up my own manifold to hook up 100# tanks... works for me..
I didn't see where your at but in MI a few years ago I was eating those 20# bottles, which didn't have that much in them, at about 1 every week and it was just at freezing or 20 at night..but I was running a fridge and w/h too..
While the large bottle is 5 times larger'' it lasted about 6 weeks and still had some in it when I pulled up stakes..

George

The furnace is a huge consumer of propane, so that tank won't last very long if the weather is cold. I would guess 2-3 weeks, depending on weather and how warm you try to keep the RV.

A 40 pount tank will lawst 40% as long as a 100 pound tank.

My recommendation is always the same. Extend-a-stay.  That is the easiest way to modify a Motor home for use of an external tank, comes with a hose (Though you may want a longer one) and it also comes with a 2nd hose to hook up a portable grill to your RV tank.

Very useful device, contains check valves and such to protect against "Back flow" and you leave it on the RV full time, Just disconnect the hoses when not needed.

The tank is not that hard to hook up, the hose is the issue, on mine it is the older style connector, but there is not much slack, that becomes the issue.  The Extend a stay works great, but as you say, might not be affordable right now. 

I had to dismount the regulator and for my tank, put it on a block to get the connection.  A 40 lb tank may be too high to get the connection without an extra hose.

In Palisade CO (abuts Grand Junction - about 5000 ft) when we stayed for Thanksgiving a few times in the month of November we would use a 40 pound tank in about 7 or 8 days.
We turn the heat down to 55 degrees at night and keep it at 74 during the daytime. I would turn it down to 70 in the daytime but my wife would be very unhappy if I did.
We use a down comforter at night and she uses a down lapper in the daytime.

Icemaker said:
I went to the local hardware store and made up my own manifold to hook up 100# tanks... works for me..
I didn't see where your at but in MI a few years ago I was eating those 20# bottles, which didn't have that much in them, at about 1 every week and it was just at freezing or 20 at night..but I was running a fridge and w/h too..
While the large bottle is 5 times larger'' it lasted about 6 weeks and still had some in it when I pulled up stakes..

George

Thanks George
I live in Colorado springs  im only using the heater at night for bedtime
I cook and take showers  in the house
I can live with 6 weeks  may be more  if I can conserve

Edit: Fixed quote.

You mentioned taking showers and cooking in the house.  Just curious...is the RV close enough to the house to be able to hook up to electric?  If so, maybe a portable electric heater would help without burning up the LP with the always hungry furnace.  Just a thought.

denmarc said:
You mentioned taking showers and cooking in the house.  Just curious...is the RV close enough to the house to be able to hook up to electric?  If so, maybe a portable electric heater would help without burning up the LP with the always hungry furnace.  Just a thought.
yes it in the back yard  and im hooked up to the electric and I have a ceramic
heater  but when it gets down to 30 it don't work very well

I have built my own RV site on my daughters farm. I have my own 200 AMP power drop and own sewer, water hook up. This will be our second winter in the motor home. Last year I installed the extend  sty and now have two 100 pound propane tanks and three small tanks BBQ size to help with the heat the onboard tank is for emergency's only and has been full since last winter. PM me I can give you details on how we did last winter.... 70 inside when it was 18 outside....

mmnutswer --did you skirt your coach??? I have placed bales of straw around mine and it makes a big difference in heat loss... sweating windows were a pain tho..

George

Yes, bales of straw (less bugs) wrap in heavy plastic 5-6 bales in a row (makes a better seal). also on the undercarriage I hang four strips of plastic this cuts the area underneath into smaller air chambers and holds heat better. have two 1500 watt radiator style heaters set on low in the area of my four holding tanks. Also have two 1500 watt heaters inside one in each end of MH.

Anything to keep the wind and cold to a minimum under the RV will be of help.  Even those manufactured with cold weather in mind are only comfortable down to a certain temperature.  Not knowing what type of RV we are talking about, insulation (or lack of) is probably your biggest problem.  At the very least, some kind of skirting is a big plus.  Single pane windows are also a big source of heat loss.  Insulating those somehow may help.  Close inner doors to retain as much heat as possible in specific areas where heat is needed.  Close off HVAC registers/ducts in those areas not needed/used at night.

If planning on using this RV well into the cold months, one very important thing to keep in mind...
The more insulated you make this RV to protect yourself from the cold, you increase the level of condensation inside the RV.  I know.  I try to keep a 65 degree environment inside while it's 30 degrees (or less) outside.  I use my TT well into December during hunting season here in MI with a couple of hunting buddies.  If you are not careful, you will have water running down your windows and seeping into the walls.  Regardless of how you heat your sleeping area.  Electric or LP heat doesn't matter.  If the condensation issue is not addressed, you may develop rotting of the wood in the walls, as well as possible mold issues.  Not a good thing at all! 

New to the forum, hi guys! I may just wind up getting an Extend-a-stay, but I had a couple quick questions and will try and post a picture.
On the onboard tanks regulator, there is what looks like (1/4?) threaded fitting on the top, does anyone know if this is a regulated port I can tap a pigtail in for an external tank? Also anyone know what these capped off wires might be? Was that for a switch for a fill pump??
It's an 86 Rockwood/454Chevy/100# tank

http://i44.tinypic.com/212dcef.jpg

This was a very informative thread as I live live in my TT in Elizabeth CO and go through 40# tanks quite fast. I have been trying to figure out how to put a large external tank here but keep getting told by the propane people they can't do it. Where would I get an Extend a stay? thanks all

Camping world or most any RV shop should have what you need. Only thing you need to be aware of in in my area I must haul my 100 lb. tanks to get them filled (in a puck up). Our local propane shop will not come to where I am. So I have two tanks, and three small ones for spares.

It really is very simple to get more capacity.  Call a local Propane dealer and ask to be hooked up to a pair of 100 lb. (25 gallons each) then when you run out of one you can take it in and get another or they may deliver to you,  they will know how to make all the proper connections outboard of your regulator.

It I were going to really seriously long term winter camp I would buy or rent a 250 or 500 gallon bulk tank and get set up for bulk delivery.  The dealer will treat you like any other home owner delivery account.  Also price per gallon is much less than the 20 lb (5 gallon) or 30 lb (7 gallon) prices and they do the work.

I understand about the 100# tanks however I am  a woman 65 yrs old 5ft tall and I can't handle the 100# tanks. I was told by some friends that the propane delivery guy couldn't do a 250# tank. But I guess I will just call them and find out. It is a pane going to get the 30# ones filled all the time. Thanks all Cathy

I do not know about today but in the good old days when I was growing up on the farm the Propane Guy delivered 100 pound tanks, He would hook 'em up for us as well.

IF you have an "extend-a-stay" with a long enough hose (The 100 pounders are close to five feet tall you your hose will need to reach that high) with a POL fitting (not an ACME) they may be able to do the same for you.. Also they can deliver two tanks, and then when it runs out you switch over manually, or they can deliver with a change over valve (They supply, in which case they may be able to "lengthen" your hose using copper tube)

But usually the changeover valves they have have a regulator attached so that may not be possible.  But they can put two tanks beside you

250 pound tanks the average Propane guy is not going to "Deliver" though a set up guy may deliver one empty but purged, and then the re-fill guy fills it on site.

Why.. Well 250 is more than most folks can lift, plus another 150 or so for the bottle. That's like 400 pounds.

A 100 pound bottle weighs around 170-180 pounds,, I've lugged them quite a few times in my younger days.

Back
Top Bottom