EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Keeping RV insurance while traveling  (Read 2091 times)


  • Posts: 2
Keeping RV insurance while traveling
« on: August 30, 2006, 04:32:38 PM »
My wife and I have been traveling in California, staying in our RV, for almost 4 years.  I have kept my driver license,registration, auto insurance, bank account and home address in Tennessee.  Last year we were the victims of a drunk driver collision in California in which we sustained injuries.  Since the drunk driver was underinsured we tried to get our insurance company to pay under our underinsured coverage.  Our insurance company states that since we have not lived in Tennessee, where our policy is, we are not eligible.  What should we do?



  • Forum Staff
  • ---
  • *
  • Posts: 9009
Re: Keeping RV insurance while traveling
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 04:37:51 PM »

Did you tell your underwriter you were full timers?

Gary RV_Wizard

  • Forum Staff
  • ---
  • *
  • Posts: 63648
  • RVer Emeritus
Re: Keeping RV insurance while traveling
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 01:37:41 PM »
I would be very much surprised if the coverage is limited to only the state of Tennesee, but check the fine print in your policy. The real issue may be one of insurance fraud, since you implied the vehicile is "principally garaged" (an insurance term) in Tennesee unless you informed the insurer otherwise, e.g. by designating fulltime RVer status.    But you maintained your insurance home in Tenn via your driving license, address (is it really your address?), etc. and you would probably have had difficulty getting insurance coverage elsewhere unless you also moved your license and such.  It's an insurance  quandry that Rvers sometimes get caught up in - the insurers procedures don't make simple to declare what you are really doing - they are geared towards vehicles that stay in one locale most of the time rather than primarily traveling elsewhere.

I don't know how much loss recovery is at stake, but if it is substantial you might want to get an attorney.

Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL