Road travel from St. Saint Marie, MI to Nova Scotai

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whitley

We are leaving on August 3 for Nova Scotia, traveling across Canada, and are wondering about Hgh. 17  across Canada. Could anyone share their experiences?
Thanks,
Nancy

We went from Sault Ste. Marie to Halifax, NS last June. Can't remember any significant issues with the route except the construction and traffic when driving thru Montreal. Best to travel thru Montreal about 4AM ;D ;D on a Sunday morning. By the way, why are you posting this 4 weeks after you plan to leave ;)

I guess I got my months mixed up!! We leave on Sept. 3.  ::)

Thank you for the information. We had heard Route 17 was bumpy so glad you did not find it that way. Did you go across Maine or along the St. Lawrence and over? If you're interested in sharing, I'd love to hear any advice or recommendations you might have, especially things you most enjoyed.

Thanks Again,
Nancy

Whitley,

Search the Forum using the keyword "Maritimes" for discussions on travel in Eastern Canada.  I've described my recommended itinerary in several of these threads so you can get some ideas.

The only time to avoid crossing Montreal is between 6 am to 10 am as well as 3 pm to 7 pm weekdays.  Otherwise you should have no problem unless there's an accident.  Listen to 800 am or 940 am for regular traffic reports.

For your trip to the Maritimes, I would recommend driving along the St. Lawrence on Hwy 20...south shore rather than through Maine because you will be on divided expressway all the way to Rivi?re du Loup, and major roads beyond to New Brunswick and Nova Scotia.

Let me know if you have specific questions about points of interest along the way.

whitley said:
I guess I got my months mixed up!! We leave on Sept. 3.  ::)

Thank you for the information. We had heard Route 17 was bumpy so glad you did not find it that way. Did you go across Maine or along the St. Lawrence and over? If you're interested in sharing, I'd love to hear any advice or recommendations you might have, especially things you most enjoyed.

Nancy

As Steve suggested, use 20 east of Montreal. IIRC, 17 from the west and 20 east are the TCH(Trans Canada Highway-Steve can correct me if I am wrong) and you just follow that. We were on the TCH all the way to St. Johns, NL where it ends.

Didn't spend much time in NS as the group we were with had Newfoundland as it's primary destination. However, the Titanic Museum and cemetary, the Citadel, Lunenberg, are some of the spots that stand out.

We just did that route and the negative was that both gasoline and diesel were US$1.00 to US$1.25 per US gallon more than in the US.

JerryF

We just did that route and the negative was that both gasoline and diesel were US$1.00 to US$1.25 per US gallon more than in the US.

Ya but most other stuff is the same dollar price or less than it is in the U.S. and even though the exchange rate at this time is not providing a huge advantage, there still is some exchange advantage.  The cost of accommodation {campgrounds} especially in the Maritimes is a whole lot less that you would be paying in the U.S.  plus you can get a rebate on the GST sales tax when you leave the Country.

As we regularly travel between the U.S and Canada, the price of gas and fuel is only marginally different and sometimes less expensive in Canada when you do the total conversion of liters to a U.S. gallon and then apply the exchange rate...you will be surprised at the result.

Back
Top Bottom