new health care law and full timing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pasayten12

Has anyone had experience yet with signing up for ACA as a full timer?  Know each state is different in the plans they offer but have not been able to get many questions answered with regard to the mobility issue. Won't be eligible for medicare til July 2014.  Hoping to reduce huge private premium for awhile 

Also, with regard to qualifying for subsidy....the questions asked on Nevada's site with regard to income seems to not take into account that, depending upon your other income, all of social security benefits are not taxable.  Not much help when you ask these questions one the phone lines or online....btw never got to finish application online as site crashed three times

Appreciate any insights.....have talked to our insurance agent but they don't know much either
Thanks in advance 

I don't need to , but I know a Navigator in Maine who is there to help people to sign up.  She told me that some plans require you to use their network, so be careful to look at each plan closely.

If you get on the internet you are able to sign up yourself.

Hope this helps.

you really need to think about sign up, if you go to their web site and then decide not to use it you can be fined, I have a friend that is was goning to cost her over 9k a year, she didn't take it, a short time later got a email and was told she would pay a fine of 5k and would be on her taxs by the irs.

rsnyde11 said:
you really need to think about sign up, if you go to their web site and then decide not to use it you can be fined, I have a friend that is was goning to cost her over 9k a year, she didn't take it, a short time later got a email and was told she would pay a fine of 5k and would be on her taxs by the irs.
This sounds like a Paul Harvey story.  I suspect there is the "rest of the story" that would explain this.  It sounds as though your friend has enough income to not qualify for a subsidy and still does not have insurance that meets the basic qualifications as specified by the ACA.  Also, I suspect the email only indicated what would happen if she did not obtain qualifying insurance.

rsnyde11 said:

IMHO that is totally absurd.  In the first year of ACA the maximum fine for not having insurance at all, not for not using the website, is ~$100 or 1% of salary.  This is the sort of unsubstantiated rumor that has no business being disseminated as fact.

docj said:
IMHO that is totally absurd.  In the first year of ACA the maximum fine for not having insurance at all, not for not using the website, is ~$100 or 1% of salary.  This is the sort of unsubstantiated rumor that has no business being disseminated as fact.

1% of "salary" for a retired person is nothing, so do I default to $100? On the site they keep talking about taxable income, this 1% of salary isn't rumor is it? ......... is it fact?    :eek:

Ken

bucks2 said:
1% of "salary" for a retired person is nothing, so do I default to $100? On the site they keep talking about taxable income, this 1% of salary isn't rumor is it? ......... is it fact?    :eek:

Ken

Here's a direct lift from https://www.healthcare.gov/what-if-someone-doesnt-have-health-coverage-in-2014/ the official ACA website

The fee in 2014 is 1% of your yearly income or $95 per person for the year, whichever is higher. The fee increases every year. In 2016 it is 2.5% of income or $695 per person, whichever is higher.

In 2014 the fee for uninsured children is $47.50 per child. The most a family would have to pay in 2014 is $285.

It's important to remember that someone who pays the fee won't get any health insurance coverage. They still will be responsible for 100% of the cost of their medical care.

It does appear to be 1% of income but it says that the maximum family payment is $285

Yes, totally agree the previous reference was way off base.....the point of my question is .....I do care that I am totally responsible for my health care .....that is why I am paying $427 a month for my policy currently.....am not worried about the penalty as I have no intention of going without insurance.....would just like to use the new system to lower my premium
The outlandish scare tactics have been out there forever.....a shame people don't read the facts...just listen to rumor

Yes, where all these outrageous rumors start is beyond me.....does no one know the meaning of 1% of income??
Such scare tactics should not worry people who take the time to be informed,
I am mostly worried about portability of plans for the full timer.....one of my original questions

rsnyde11 said:

However sent that email has a great scam going. The buyer has a full choice of a lot of policies, covering a wide range of benefits and premiums, and any qualified plan would work. To generate a 5k fine would require an income of about 500k in 2013 and 250k in 2015. Please make sure the facts are correct before spreading rumors.

After checking it out, the Tampa Bay Times had the following to say about this topic:  http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2013/oct/04/facebook-posts/closer-look-facebook-post-mans-struggle-obamacare-/ 
    However, there apparently lots of scammers trying to get personal information to be used to steal from them, so be careful.

Ed

rsnyde11 said:

Someone posted a link to an article in a Flordia Newspaper which contained something rare in teh media world today.. FACTS.

That was not an E-mail she got. it was a lying piece of SPAM.

My daughter had done the math.. First year penality is the greater of 95 dollars or 1% (As I recall) of your income.  and if your income is limited, YOU MAY BE EXEMPT.  The article explained it all.

You need to do the research, alas I was going to say "I don't have the link" but guess what.. HISTORY worked. Here it is

The bottom line is this: If you now have insurance,,, Basically nothing changes save a few minor differences in medicare.. Your insurance should cover those changes and keep you covered as you are now.

If you don't have insurance.. Then the laws in the state you reside in apply (the state mentioned on your driver's license and vehicle registration) Some states have accepted the federal request to make changes in Medicare to cover low income folks, Some (FL for example) have not.  Some of the states that did comply.. Kind of surprised me. (The states that did not, no surprises there) Alas I won't post the reason for the suprise or not as... Well I don't want to get into that discussion.

Back to the mobility question, that would depend on the particular policy chosen. Some will likely be local HMOs that require use of specific doctors and facilities in a region, some may be nation-wide HMOs, while others will be PPOs (preferred providers) that have a long list of preferred providers but allow any doctor to serve you (but maybe at higher cost),  or maybe even be open to any provider. Typically the lowest cost policies have the most restrictions (or the highest deductibles and co-pays).

OK, back to my question, someone said the penalty would be based on "salary", others keep talking about "income". A google search now shows that it is indeed "adjusted gross income", which for many is an entirely different number than salary or income. Not that I'm ever going to willingly give up the insurance I have, but one needs to keep up with things as they happen so we don't have to re-learn everything if the worst happens.

On a different note, everyone has always been responsible for their uninsured healthcare expenses. They simply shirk the responsibility, claim they can't pay and let others pay the price. How that would ever change under Obamacare is still to be seen. Tell me again how someone who pays no income tax to start with is suddenly going to be made to pay a fine? What are you going to do to someone who doesn't buy insurance and then has a catastrophic injury? Are you going to deny him care? You see, there are a few holes in the system.

Ken

I know how mine will break down, mine ins base is 29k a year before anything is takeing away, by the time they get those done I will pay 11k a year for ins, now I only make 24k a year now that's just about half my gross income, now then I have my wife to pay for also, because of her disability her ins will 13k a year hmmm well now how do I live they will take every thing I make to pay for ins, this is a fact the way it is wrote as of now, lets just say I aint a happy camper.

rsnyde11 said:
I know how mine will break down, mine ins base is 29k a year before anything is takeing away, by the time they get those done I will pay 11k a year for ins, now I only make 24k a year now that's just about half my gross income, now then I have my wife to pay for also, because of her disability her ins will 13k a year hmmm well now how do I live they will take every thing I make to pay for ins, this is a fact the way it is wrote as of now, lets just say I aint a happy camper.

With those income levels you should be eligible for a subsidy to cover most of the insurance cost.  Haven't you checked on that?

bucks2 said:
On a different note, everyone has always been responsible for their uninsured healthcare expenses. They simply shirk the responsibility, claim they can't pay and let others pay the price. How that would ever change under Obamacare is still to be seen. Tell me again how someone who pays no income tax to start with is suddenly going to be made to pay a fine?
The Supreme Court has ruled that this "fine"  is a tax.  The IRS has a whole slew of ways to collect delinquent taxes.  That said, a person who pays no income taxes usually has no taxable income.  Such a person, one would think, would qualify for low income subsidies.
What are you going to do to someone who doesn't buy insurance and then has a catastrophic injury? Are you going to deny him care? You see, there are a few holes in the system.
What happens now to a person who cannot pay for catastrophic health care?  They enter the system via emergency rooms.  They receive some sort of care until recovery.  After that ....?  Well, right now about 30% of all personal bankruptcies are involved with healthcare issues.

What happens with the expenses of care ?  The providers add it on to the cost of their services to be paid for by their other clients who can and do pay their bills.  No change there  -- nor is any possible.

That is why health care coverage must be mandatory.  In essence, the Affordable Care Act is forming an insurance pool, or pools, that covers the entire nation.

Back
Top Bottom