I need some help with new truck options..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mattyd

Friends..It is my goal to be up and running with a new truck and camper for next summer. I am working on specking out a new GMC 3500 dually diesel crew cab long bed. I am either going to try and find a left over 2013 or wait a few more months to order a 2015.
My questions for you experienced TC brethren is as follows...Are they worth it or not for a truck that will be primarily a TC hauler? I want to do it once and do it right. How or why would you justify the following options?

Snow Plow Package $495. I am not going to plow snow but it equips the tuck with a heavier front axle.

Auxiliary Heavy Duty Battery $135.

160 Amp Alternator $75 -

Dual Alternators $270. -

High Idle Switch $200 -

Power Sliding Rear Window $250

Thanks in advance for all your help. Can't wait till next summer!!

Can't really address the question, but have you considered 4/6 wheel drive? I would doubt that the snow plow package would be much help.

Ernie

When I bought my used 2011 2500HD, it had all of those options except the high idle switch.

The power rear window is a nice feature, but hardly an essential. I have a terrible time remembering to close it.

The Auxiliary Heavy Duty Battery is probably helpful for starting in cold weather. The 160 amp alternator is probably useful because you will be charging the trailer batteries as well as the truck batteries. I can't see that I am getting any benefit from the second alternator, but I don't really have any way to tell for sure. Are you certain that it is not included as part of the snowplow option?

Joel

Diesel comes standard with dual batteries.
Rear slider....yes, nice for secure ventilation when parked.
160 amp alt....sure, why not.
I passed on the rest with mine.

Auxiliary Heavy Duty Battery - like others have said, all modern diesel HD trucks should already come with two batteries.
160 Amp Alternator - yes
Dual Alternators - not sure, but I Google'd this and it seems to be included with snow plow prep.
High Idle Switch - yes
Power Sliding Rear Window - no, because if it breaks, you can't open the window.

You may not *need* the snow plow prep package, but it may bundle some of the above options and make them cheaper.

High idle switch is useful in warming up the truck in the winter, and keeping the a/c cooling in the summer.

You didn't mention an exhaust brake.  Is that standard on the GM?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom