Drill Pilot Holes or Not???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arcticfox2005

Rig is a 2012 Winnebago Access, fiberglass roof.

Looking at the installation instructions for the Winegard Trav'ler, at one step, they say do not drill pilot holes for the mounting base at this time.

Then, 2 steps later, without mentioning pilot holes again, they say to screw the base to the roof using the supplied screws.

Does this mean do not use pilot holes at all? Or does it mean they simply forgot to mention them?

I have always believed in pilot holes, assuming they are the correct size and not too big.

I e-mailed Winegard for clarification, but no answer yet.

Your thoughts?

Thanks,
Bill

I think the instructions are simply generic and probably not proof read. Like you I always drill pilot holes. Considering the usual, not drilling too deep or too large, I would use pilot holes to get through the fiberglass for sure. I would imagine the surface below is wood so a pilot is probably not quite as important but again I would do it. As long as you don?t go too large you don?t lose any fastening strength.

I put my Travler on last month and DID NOT drill pilot holes. The screws are SELF TAPPING. They will make their own hole in both the fiberglass roof and any aluminum cross member you are on. The same screws are used to mount the Travler unit and the wire hole cover. Use a cordless (or corded) drill-driver and screw them in. Set the clutch on the drill driver light at first until you get a feel for how tight you want them. Don't screw down so tight that you squeeze out all the sealant.

Ken

John Hilley said:
Definitely drill a small pilot hole.
Always my preferred method!  Self-tapping.(drill) screws are designed for metal. Would self-tapping screws work - sure they would but not my preferred procedure - they don't make a nice hole like a drill bit would.

I too would drill a small pilot hole. If the screws are self-tapping, the pilot can be tiny, basically just enough to make sure the screw enters exactly where you  want it and doesn't crumble the surrounding fiberglass or splinter wood underneath.

I nornally use a pilot hole for large screw attachments, but frankly, it didn't even occur to me to do it when installing the Travel'r since they are small screws and go in very easily.

JM2C

Ernie

Don't screw down so tight that you squeeze out all the sealant.

Ken,

What did you use for a sealant? The directions say, "use an approved sealant". Very helpful!

Thanks for all your comments - I will use small pilot holes, mainly to avoid cracking the fiberglass.

Bill

I used the same sealant I use on the rest of the roof and I'll be danged if I can remember the name, I want to call it Luxor but that's not it. It's a non-silicone, very sticky sealant available at the box stores. That way everything will stick to everything when I do my annual search for cracks and crevices.

Ken

I learned from boats that in order to not tear up the gel coat (ie- crack or chip it off completely), it's not a pilot hole you want, in fact that may make the problem worst. But I took a drill as large as the final hole, and rotated the drill with my fingers to work through the gel coat, THEN drill the hole. John has probably had more experience being a boat guy too, but that's what I have always done

I did that when I mounted the SK-3005 on the roof

On the smaller holes I don?t worry about it but for anything larger than around 3/8 I always lay down a strip of tape. It makes it easy to draw your layout and it protects the gel coat as long as you go slow with your drill.

Back
Top Bottom