?Imitation? Sleep Number Bed ? Hate It

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomnnva

We love our Tour, it is very live able, it has many creature comforts, it is a dream to drive, we do not regret our decision to purchase this RV.  The Tour has had its problems, to be sure, but it is a complex machine that has driven I-84 in Eastern PA and survived with minimal troubles.

Our major negative issue with this coach is the imitation sleep number bed supplied by Innomax Corp.  Even when this bed is operating correctly, it is uncomfortable, we have had problems with this bed from the beginning, it has slow leaks in the bed air chambers.  You go to bed with a nice firm mattress, then wake up with an overly soft mattress, ouch. Also, the digital hand controls are quirky to operate, sometimes they fill too much, sometimes they refuse to work, I think both are defective, but the major problem is the slow leaks.
Took the problem to the Winnebago factory recently, they found a defective? Cam-Lock Bed Chamber Air Nozzle? (Innomax P/N 2-01-barrell-or).  This ?Air-Nozzle? connects the air pump to the air hose that in turn connects to the bed chamber.  The ?Air Nozzle? cracked where the nozzle portion goes into the ?Cam-Lock? portion of the assembly.  Winnebago replaced the part and we were on our way; 3 days later and 1000 miles from Forest City, the slow leak had returned.  I check and the new ?Cam-Lock Bed Chamber Air Nozzle? had cracked in the exact same location as the old one.

I called Innomax technical support, they are aware of this problem, they claim the air pump is not installed correctly by Winnebago and/or the air hose going to the ?Air Nozzle? does not have enough slack.  Innomax technical support said the air pump should be installed under the head portion of the bed, in fact the pump is installed under your hips, also the air hose has no slack from its tie down point under the bed to the ?Air-Nozzle?.  Because of physical constraints in the RV the air pump cannot be located under the head of the bed, I think I can tease a couple inches of air hose slack though.

Innomax is sending me a couple of ?Air-Nozzles?, gratis, I will see if the new part along with a little air hose slack fixes the problem.  We are close to dumping the entire imitation sleep number system and installing some sort of ?real? mattress, Winnebago could do better.

Had issues with the same part on ours. Solved the issue by using automotive heater hose clamps around the part where it attaches to the pump unit. Tightens down the lock so it won't leak or come off when the plastic twist lock breaks.

Be glad you don't have a Sleep Number bed.  Our second controller (the hand wand with the display and an up/down button) has failed.  When I look at the statistics for my web site, usually the number one search term coming in is something related to sleep number bed or sleep number pump.

When we get a chance, this bed is going to the county dump and we will replace it with a conventional mattress.

Cant Wait said:
Had issues with the same part on ours. Solved the issue by using automotive heater hose clamps around the part where it attaches to the pump unit. Tightens down the lock so it won't leak or come off when the plastic twist lock breaks.

Good idea!  I was thinking of beefing up the area where the nozzle and the cam-lock come together with epoxy, give more strength to an obvious weakness.

John Canfield said:
Be glad you don't have a Sleep Number bed.  Our second controller (the hand wand with the display and an up/down button) has failed.  When I look at the statistics for my web site, usually the number one search term coming in is something related to sleep number bed or sleep number pump.

When we get a chance, this bed is going to the county dump and we will replace it with a conventional mattress.

I keep threatening to do the same thing with ours John. We had a mattress that leaked thru the fabric/plastic itself, not a seam. Sleep Number was willing to sell us another for $160 on our 3.5 year old mattress with the 20 year warranty. I found another unhappy camper that was throwing his away and got one inflatable section from his. Our controllers both work haphazardly. I'm still hoping to find someone trashing their unit to get spares. I still like the reletively light mattress when I access under the bed.

Ken

Just a thought, we replaced our RV mattress  with a Novafoam one from Costco.  It was enough heavier that it was a bear to lift.  Solution was to install heavier lifts but that was still too hard for us oldsters.  Next solution was to add an 12 volt electric linear actuator.  Now we just flip a switch to raise or lower.  Richard Sharp added an air pressure actuator for his bed.

We love our sleep number matrices (matrasses); have had one for over 15  years, the other only 8 years.  Neither leak, hump up and are easily moveable.  We have the conventional matrass (matrix) in our Journey; never has it deflated, shifted, nor bitten us back.  Simpler is usually better. (take me, for  instance)

Wendell

John Canfield said:

X2 on the SN bed.  The other problem I had with mine was that it also developed a leak. 

This is the one I got and loved it.  So much in fact, I have one for the truck, MH, and S&B.    http://www.sleepdogmattress.com/
They give you a four month trial period.  That alone is why I decided to try one out.  I saw them in a truck show several years ago, which is when I bought the one for my truck, so I can attest for their durability.

I like it better than the Tempur-Pedic, and the other memory foam type of mattresses.  It's also easier to get in the door of the MH or truck than a spring mattress.  What I really like about it over the other memory foam mattresses out there is it sleeps cooler in the summer time, and I spend most of my time in the warmer climates.  But it still gives me that "sink in" warm feeling in the winter as well.  So I feel it gives me the best of both worlds.  In addition, I wake up feeling refreshed in the morning instead of like I just went 12 rounds in the ring, as I do on the spring mattresses.

tomnnva said:
Good idea!  I was thinking of beefing up the area where the nozzle and the cam-lock come together with epoxy, give more strength to an obvious weakness.
Tom - is the bed a custom design for Winnebago?  The Sleep number bed that Winnebago was purchasing was (I believe) a special run for them.

99WinAdventurer37G said:
This is the one I got and loved it.  So much in fact, I have one for the truck, MH, and S&B.    http://www.sleepdogmattress.com/
They give you a four month trial period.  That alone is why I decided to try one out. ..
Looks good - which particular one would you recommend?

John Canfield said:
Tom - is the bed a custom design for Winnebago?

John - I don't think this was a custom made bed for Winnebago, but I am guessing.  I looked at the Innomax installation manual and everything looks similar to what I have installed in my Tour.  The problem, as I see it, is the Winnebago folding bed arrangement.  Because the head of the bed folds up, the air pump cannot be installed at the preferred position under the head of the bed.  Also, the adjusted position of the air pump, under your hips, makes for a longer run of the air hose.  I am thinking a little slack called for by Innomax in the air hose length was just overlooked by Winnie mfg.

Edit: Fixed quote.

John Canfield said:
Tom - is the bed a custom design for Winnebago?  The Sleep number bed that Winnebago was purchasing was (I believe) a special run for them.
Looks good - which particular one would you recommend?

They have changed the "models" over time.  This description sounds most like what I put in the MH, http://www.bedinabox.com/build-your-memory-foam-mattress-sleep-system.html 

They now have a thing on their website where you can select it based on the firmness.  When I ordered my first one they took the measurements of my bunk and made it to order, from the sleepdog website.  Now it looks like they have standard sizes, and a new residential website.  But they probably still make custom sizes if the area for your mattress is not standard.  I got a standard queen for the MH and it fit. 

AA4WP said:
We love our sleep number matrices (matrasses); have had one for over 15  years, the other only 8 years.  Neither leak, hump up and are easily moveable.  We have the conventional matrass (matrix) in our Journey; never has it deflated, shifted, nor bitten us back.  Simpler is usually better. (take me, for  instance)

Wendell
Same here...... we've had ours for 13 years and LOVE IT!!!!!!!! Never one issue.

SargeW said:
I almost bought a sleep number bed, but sent it back. I'm glad I did.  I got enough problems without adding more while I sleep!

Good point, RV's can certainly be a headache, they shouldn't gave a backache, also.  :)

Jim Godward said:
Just a thought, we replaced our RV mattress  with a Novafoam one from Costco.  It was enough heavier that it was a bear to lift.  Solution was to install heavier lifts but that was still too hard for us oldsters.  Next solution was to add an 12 volt electric linear actuator.  Now we just flip a switch to raise or lower.  Richard Sharp added an air pressure actuator for his bed.

Good ideas. I just hope I don't have to use one for a few more years. Thanks!

Ken

99WinAdventurer37G said:
They have changed the "models" over time.  This description sounds most like what I put in the MH, http://www.bedinabox.com/build-your-memory-foam-mattress-sleep-system.html 
Wow, they're mucho dinero.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom