?Imitation? Sleep Number Bed ? Hate It

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We have had a sleep number bed in our 5ver for many years. In fact we move it as we trade trailers.
The pump went out shortly after we first bought it. It was replaced under warranty and no problems since.

Dave

John Canfield said:
Wow, they're mucho dinero.

I've purchased cheaper, and I've purchased more expensive mattresses, I've found these to be most comfortable for me.  Friends have found good deals at overstock.com on memory foam mattresses. One might try there for a lower priced mattress.  And for higher priced, one can try tempur-pedic

99WinAdventurer37G said:
I've purchased cheaper, and I've purchased more expensive mattresses, I've found these to be most comfortable for me.  Friends have found good deals at overstock.com on memory foam mattresses. One might try there for a lower priced mattress.  And for higher priced, one can try tempur-pedic

I like that Overstock.com lead, I have been pricing replacement mattresses and they are expensive.  I have the added problem they have to be able to fold because of the folding arrangement on the Tour bed.

We too have had numerous problems with our brand new Ideal Rest air bed. The first problem occurred when the pump wiggled off its shelf and fell just right to snap off the hose connectors. Replaced under warranty but one side will not stay inflated all night. Swapped out the Winnebago factory hose connector parts for a newer ones supplied by Innomax, but still no joy.  I have since disassembled the old pump and the fault is clearly the cheesy plastic parts Innomax uses to attach the hoses to the pump. I believe a better approach would be a simple hose clamp on a metal not plastic nipple to attach the hose.

My wife and I hated the mattress in our HR , it was so bad that I slept on the couch .  I tried a 4" memory foam topper which was still terrible . We went out shopping for a replacement bed and being unsure of the exact measurements went back to the house to get the information so we could have one specifically(mattress factory ) built for us. While we were driving home it struck me that our Futon ( bed and couch in spare room) was pretty close to the same size and just for the heck of it compared the one we had in the RV to it, exact same size. We swapped it out and tried it when we drove to S Carolina to a drag  race , VERY comfortable and slept excellent. This is a 8" thick wrapped coil spring unit we bought years ago . I know this probably would not be something most of you would even consider but if I remember it correctly I think the mattress only cost us about $ 250.00 and is darn comfortable. We are going to go shopping for another one as a permanent replacement and the prices are about the same as they were back then , just another inexpensive alternative for us poor folk . Mike McCarthy

mercoupe50 said:
How does the conventional mattress handle the bend when raising the front in preparation for putting in the slide?

This is an excellent point David, I think Winnebago has a late model coach that has a non-inflatable mattress that bends, some guy showed it to me while in for service at the factory, but I forget which coach, I will check with tech support.

Would appreciate any information on replacing this air mattress system with a standard mattress that can bend.

WineLuvrs said:
We too have had numerous problems with our brand new Ideal Rest air bed. The first problem occurred when the pump wiggled off its shelf and fell just right to snap off the hose connectors. Replaced under warranty but one side will not stay inflated all night. Swapped out the Winnebago factory hose connector parts for a newer ones supplied by Innomax, but still no joy.  I have since disassembled the old pump and the fault is clearly the cheesy plastic parts Innomax uses to attach the hoses to the pump. I believe a better approach would be a simple hose clamp on a metal not plastic nipple to attach the hose.

You are so correct, ?cheesy plastic parts Innomax uses?,  I received the replacement air nozzle from Innomax. (note ? to their credit the part was free and they sent it FedEx).  It is cheap plastic, I am quoting from a label they have stuck to this ?cheesy? plastic part,? CAUTION: These black ABS fittings are breakable. ? (their words)

After installing the new plastic air nozzle, I still have a slow leak, although it is a leak that is livable, i.e. the bed is not flat the next morning.

We are going to replace this system and will report to this forum our results.

I recently installed two hose clamps over the cam locks to help it stay in place. So far so good, though we are parked for few months. I believe the real test will be when we get back on the road. As an alternative I took apart the pump housing and realized I make a better connection by cutting out a small part piece of plastic next to the hose nipples and create a much better attachment point, using just the hose and a hose clamp, and not using the cam locks at all. I am slightly worried about the check valve...so again time will tell.

Sounds like these "cheap plastic parts" are a deal breaker with these air beds. Sad truth is they are using the wrong type of plastic and probably have a very poor design for this component. For a few cents more they can easily use a more rigid plastic ( like polycarbonate- think bullet proof glass). It amazes me why companies would rather give excuses to customers instead of fixing the problem. Innomax must have enough customers to throw away a few. After reading this thread I certainly would not buy any of their products, especially the bed given what the price tag is.

We have had - and continue to have multiple issue related to the bed folding and the limit switches on the bed. Currently, the slide does work but the bed appears to have a mind of it's own when you want to fold it up so you can bring hte Bedroom Slide in.
Anyone else seeing htese issues ?
Regards
Kiwiiam

kiwiiam said:
We have had - and continue to have multiple issue related to the bed folding and the limit switches on the bed. Currently, the slide does work but the bed appears to have a mind of it's own when you want to fold it up so you can bring hte Bedroom Slide in.
Regards
Kiwiiam

You are referring to an Innomax air bed right? What problems are you having with the folding?

We've got the same folding Innomax bed in our Tour and I definitely understand the comments about the quirky hand controllers. So far, we've had no problems with the air pump system or mattress (knock on wood). After hearing about so many similar problems with this bed, however, I'm beginning to think it's only a matter of time before we experience them. It sounds like the fixes (while sometimes temporary) are relatively simple. Since we plan on keeping this bed (for the time being), would you guys recommend doing some preventative maintenance - hose clamps, lengthening the air hose etc.?

Kev

We are having similar problems.  The side of the mattress that my wife sleeps on occasionally loses air.  However, both sides have also pumped themselves up to the maximum level (number 50 on the controller).  Has anyone else had this issue (getting firmer rather than leaking air)?  Both sides of the bed have the correct level programmed into the respective controllers. 

kiwiiam said:
Regards
Kiwiiam

I have had the problems that you have mentioned.  Mine was due to the cables and hoses getting caught up with all of the clutter under the bed.  It was not letting the switch actuate.  I rerouted the mess and then had to recalibrate the bed ( as described in the manual) and it works fine now.

mercoupe50 said:
Tom,
I am very interested to know what you find and how it works.
David

David - sorry for the delay, I've been off the net for a week or so. 

I replaced both plastic air nozzles, one hand controller and adjusted the air hoses under the bed to give an inch or so more slack, now the hoses don't
pull so hard against the air nozzles.  This was accomplished before we put the coach in storage last December.  We have now been on the road about a month, having departed the Phoenix prior to the arrival of the HEAT.  So far, so good my wife's side of the bed looses maybe a pound or 2 of pressure every couple of days, my side looses about 3-4 lbs. of pressure per nite - I out weigh her by 70 lbs or so - I can live with that, just a quick top off prior to sleep.

Another thing we do is deflate the bed prior to bringing the wall slide in, we did not do that before and is something the mfg recommends - maybe we caused some of our own problems in the past.

I have a spare hand controller and air nozzle on board. 

I got fed up with the Sleepless Number mattress and finally ditched it.  I replaced it with a mattress from Mattress Insider.  They have a great selection and very reasonable prices.  No ties to the company, just a satisfied customer.  Should have done it several years ago.

Best Regards!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom