Raising Alpenlite Fifth Wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tvfrfireguy

I recently put suspension air bags on my Chev silverado 4x4? to help with the over two thousand pounds pin weight of our 33 foot Alpenlite. The trailer is no longer level with the air bags inflated and I have noticed extra holes in the spring shackles on the alpenlite.? Right now, the bolts are in the top holes and it looks to me like these holes are for adjusting the height of the trailer.? Does anyone out there know how to do this.? I'm a carpenter, not a mechanic but with proper instructions, I think this would be a fun project.? Any help would be greatly appreciated.? ?By the way, my 5th wheel hitch is already in its lowest position.? ?Thank you,? David

I called Western RV and they told me that the holes in the shackles were indeed to adjust the height of the trailer.  I think I will block the trailer so the wheels are off the ground and use a floor jack to lower the axles to reinsert bolts.  I feel funny calling the dealer because I bought the rig from a private party in another state.  Thanks, David

tvfrfireguy said:
I called Western RV and they told me that the holes in the shackles were indeed to adjust the height of the trailer.  I think I will block the trailer so the wheels are off the ground and use a floor jack to lower the axles to reinsert bolts.  I feel funny calling the dealer because I bought the rig from a private party in another state.  Thanks, David

Those holes are indeed used to increase the height of the trailer. We do it quite frequently where I work part time. Just be careful when making the adjustment. You should also have about 5 or 6" of space between the bedrails and the bottom of the trailer overhang for proper clearance.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sinbad
Back
Top Bottom