Thoughts on Flying J Overnights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KurtG

I am considering stopping and spending a night in the Flying J truck stop. 
I'll be traveling from the northeast to Texas and most RV Parks are closed for the season on my route. 
Flying J encourages RV overnights. 
Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this?
Thanks 

Some of the newer Flying Js have separate RV parking that seem to fill up quickly. Parking with the semis is noisy!

Although we have only stayed in one once - for the same reason as you, we couldn't find an open RV park where we wanted to stop (in November near Denver).
We do have friends that stay in them often. They say they usually  stop around 3:00 pm to be pretty sure of getting a place to park.

We've stayed a couple of times but they're so dang noisy that we avoid them. For a quick overnight stop, we prefer Walmart or city parks (where allowed).

Wendy

I've done it several times usually there is a separate area, The last time I was the only RV that was driven by the owner there were 6 being transported to new homes. and some expediter vans but plenty of room.

Done it many times and except for the noise and people coming and going at all hours, truck noise does not bother me, in fact it gives me a sense of security....so no problems for me....have been in a couple with separate areas for RV's which was nice, they even had dump facilities and a place to fill water....

Go and enjoy....

Jim

We only stay at Flying J if we can get into the rv parking area. And we also we prefer Walmarts. We try to park along the curb in the oil and lube are. We do not put out our slide unless we are parked along a curb. The allstays app, has up to date info on walmarts that do and don't allow over nighting.

Agree the noise is a bother and a sense of security unless the guy next to you runs his noisy generator all night.

All of the Flying Js that we have been to this year, including the one 15 miles from home, have their potable water spout shut down. (not just for the fall and winter, they have been closed all season) The Petro 20 miles the other way has potable water. Some Love's do, some don't. I always call ahead to ask.

I suppose they are not called "Truck Stops" for nothing. For every 100 semi's there are probably 2 or 3 Rv's that frequent them on any busy day.  Truckers believe it is their territory fit for them to make a living.

Rv'ers are not in the same league. --- I give up---.

At the El Paso East Flying J I was parked way out in the dirt with a small class C beside me. About 2:00AM the overflow filled up and a trucker pulled up behind the class C and laid on his air horn continuously for about three minutes until the RVer pulled out so he could have the parking place. Idiots like that are the reason I quit using truck stops.

I'll add "smelly" to the "noisy".  We would pick a Walmart, or better yet, Sams Club, over any truck stop. We find that the Sams are usually the quietest and often roomier as well. For one thing, few of them stay open late.

Gary RV Roamer said:
I'll add "smelly" to the "noisy".  We would pick a Walmart, or better yet, Sams Club, over any truck stop. We find that the Sams are usually the quietest and often roomier as well. For one thing, few of them stay open late.

I have read much of overnighting in Walmart parking lots, but not much about Sams Club.  Do they have the same general policy toward overnighters?

Phil Hyde said:
I have read much of overnighting in Walmart parking lots, but not much about Sams Club.  Do they have the same general policy toward overnighters?

Same policy, some allow overnighting, some don't. I find them to be quieter than Walmart since they're not open 24/7 as many Walmarts are.

Wendy

I stayed in a Flying J truck parking lot one time and I felt that I was imposing plus all the noise, so I won't do that again.  There are three Fling J stations in Alabama that I use a lot for fueling that I can address. The station south of Montgomery (I 65) is very nice and has a large RV parking area. I have spent the night there on three occasions and felt very safe. The station in Dothan has a small RV parking area and is very busy. I would not stay there. The Flying J station on I 65 north of Birmingham usually has a lot of shady folks hanging around the parking lots. (Beggars and prostitutes). I get my fuel and then get out of this location. 

Frank

When traveling from point to point, we tend to look for FJ's for the convenience of separate fuel islands (most)  and RV parking out front (most) separate from the truck park area ... generally speaking you know what to expect from one to another.  You do have to pay attention to Pilot stations being added into the mix now, as several I have tried just don't help out the gas RV'er much ... so I tend to stay away from those.  Yes they can be noisy out front, but in general the noise doesn't bother me.  We tend to travel late when we need to just get there, so we would usually pull in, fuel, park and be ready to go come morning.  And of course there is Propane, dump and water if needed ... plus store for occasional loaf of bread, gallon of milk type things.  Once we get to destination, whole different ball game.

Works well for us anyway.

Howard and Kelly

That is very interesting information.  I never speculated on the idea that Truckers would be possessive and irritated when "their" space is taken by an RV.  Unfortunate but realistic I guess.  Thanks for the info on alternate sites.

I've not run into that problem, but I hear of others who have. Hard to know if the RVers involved may have been doing something unreasonable, or the trucker was just being rude.

Most of the truckers I have encountered just ignored me (and everyone else) and went about their business. A few sociable and asked questions or pointed out something I might want to check out.  I've also chatted with drivers while waiting in line at the fuel desk on a busy day.  I only encountered one guy who was decidedly rude. I was exiting a truck stop while he was entering and this particular one did not have separate entrance/exit.  We met sort-of nose-to-nose and had to maneuver a bit to avoid each other. No biggie, I thought, but he gave me a middle finger salute and I could see his lips moving. I suspect he was doubting that my parents were married, but I suppose I could be wrong!  :-\

It seems Walmart is getting less RV friendly in the Roanoke VA area.  This "out of season" overnight issue seems like it could get complicated.  I have no desire to park at 3pm to secure a RV space at a truck stop.  I might just see what I see on my route.  I might also stumble on some State park or RV parks with an extended season to Dec. 1.  I found one each near I-81 SW Virginia. 

I have a positive attitude regarding Truckers most of the time.  I have about 100,000 miles on my Harley and on many occasions they have watched my back and kept me out of harms way.  On one occasion I was advised by a trucker that the road belongs to them because of the highway use tax they pay and that all others should yield to them or pay the consequences.  He did not elaborate on the consequences when asked but we have all had that eighteen wheeler a foot from our bumper at one time or another.  It takes all kinds and I'm good with all the guys who work on the road regardless of who that is; truckers, workers, winter highway trucks, law enforcement etc.  A little respect goes a long way.  So sharing their rest stop will work out if necessary.  However I fully know that waking up while parked in the truck area, and finding my rig blocked in front and back is always possible  ??? I would plan ahead for that contingency (which by BTW I just thought of).

Good times!

My own pearls of wisdom:  Good and rude people are present everywhere. A trucker has a tough life...do RV'ers have a tough life ?  They have to make money, the Rv'er only spends money and has fun.

I admit there are more good people than bad ones... but they will surface without warning.

I had a customer in my retail electronic store who punched me in the face for just asking why he wanted to return an item bought months ago.  He was a well dressed normal 50 year old.  Weird ?

Don't let these incidents spoil your day... stuff happens.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sinbad
Back
Top Bottom