Stick home vs RV home

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Betty Brewer said:
I love our RV life full time.  I will love our life in our new stick built home in Foothills of Arizona. part time. Where you live is a state of mind!  I heard someone say once, " home is where you go when you have a cold."

It is a very personal decision as to where you live and how you live.  One may feel influences of others but the  bottom line is,  the decision of how and  where you choose to live is yours and yours alone.  I had a stick house, then I didn't, soon I will.  OPTIONS are good! 

Betty Brewer
Full time Rver for now 

Very well said, Betty!!

Regards,
Liz

Different homes for different times of your life would be my comment.

As Wendy says, normally a built in place home, the value goes up up up (As do the taxis) where as a mobile home, the value goes down down down (but alas, not the taxes) does not matter if it's a "Manafactured home" with the wheels stored underneath and a skirt or the finest of class A's, it goes down. (Though in the manafactured case the value of the lot it's parked on may go up)

That said, a stick build house is very good when you are driving to and from the office/plant every m,t,w,t,f for 30 years or in my case 25+.  And thus that's what I'm in as i type this, However now that I don't drive to work any more (Still get paid though) I want to, as the commericial used to go "See the USA in my Chevrolet"  Thus I have a lovely 2005 Damon Intruder in the back lot, Workhorse chassis with an 8.1 L Vortec (Chevy) V8 under the doghouse and a 1992 Lumina (Chevy) Towed... I truly enjoy seeing the USA in my Chevrolet

And once this winter is past there is a device in the back (A snow blower) that,,,, Well  let's just say I won't miss it one flake!

I would have to agree with John. For instance our kids are still in school
and we are both still working so we enjoy time in the RV on the weekends
as a place to get away from the daily grind. I would not however entertain
living on a MH or any other type of RV until the kids have grown.

Betty Brewer said:
...." home is where you go when you have a cold."

That's a great saying Betty. I guess for me that would be our stick house, while for some folks it would be wherever they happen to be.

You're right about it being a state of mind and a very personal decision. I've been ill at hotels in distant countries and in our RV in distant states. I prefer not to be ill, but  when it happens I know where I want to be.

None of the above is meant to detract from the wonderful RVing life. We enjoy our RV trips, whether they be for a few days or a few months and are big fans of not having a schedule or, often, not having a known destination. We enjoy the company of friends and framily, but we also enjoy the times it's just the two of us. However long the trip, we also enjoy coming home to our fixed base. Just our state of mind.

"Home is where you go when you have no place else to go"

heck, If we always knew what was the right thing do do financially, we would all be rich.  The only thing a person can do is make the best decision they can at the time, and never look back.
Jake

Decisions decisions.? ? i thought this was not required after reaching the level of "old-dum".?

Retirement to me intially was not a given option so I find it confusing.? I did not know that life went on after life went on.? Now I do, and don't know that I find my self willing to settle for one place over another.? I love the United States of America.? I have been to every single of the 50 states in my lifetime.? They are all wonder filled and offer so much in the idea of home.? ?

There we go though.? ?What exactly would be the idea of home.? ?Definition??

As the quip goes, home is where you go .... when you are sick, or lost, or hungry, or lonely or ........ home is where the heart is --- where the heart heals --- where the soul steps out to find even more that this world is HOME.? Lots of definitions.

I have to say that if it were a given "area" in which i should land this would be a difficult decision.? I would pick ........ if i were younger and stronger, Oklahoma.? ?If I were leaner and meaner, Missouri.? Here I am in Idaho and love it.? I feel that for me, Idaho is my "home of choice" so to speak.? With good ol Charlie the RV, I can make home just about anywhere, but the reality is that there have been and will continue to be times that Charlie is out of the question and "home" may be yours or someone who care's or and extended care facility or ..... the land of granite sculpture.? ?

I pick the United States of America, and I pick Canada, and I pick anywhere I may be able to drive and thrive.? Oh, I can be that flexible?? Okay then, I pick Idaho.

Jaspers Mom
Wishy Washy little me.

Smoky said:
Tom:

I sometimes worry that our own government may be guilty of the most creative financing of all.

Wow, just discovered my Ravens won against Washington today.? That was their last pre-season game.? Their new quarterback looks awesome ... Steve McNair.? I never realized what a big body he had until he came to Baltimore.? He could be a linebacker.? Baltimore finally has their all pro QB.? If their offense can finally equal their defense... Lookout!? Here that Bronco Wendy!! ??

Smoky there's nothing creative about the government's financing......spend whatever you want and keep going into debt...simple. Millions of Americans use the same financial philosophy and end up in bankruptcy court.

As for the Broncos, you don't scare me with your Ravens...we are the proud, we are the vitorious, we are The Broncos !!! Oh, yeah, and if we stink, we don't care :)

Jaspers Mom:

I'm with you .  The whole USofA is a great home place.  That was our "home" for over 10 years, but as we got closer to the time to hang up the keys, we opted for a place we WANT to be and were not FORCED to be, because of ill health or whatever happens to curtail travels.  We found a place through those travels, that suits both of us perfectly, for climate, medical care, military benefits, beautiful natural settings not yet developed, and not yet overcrowded.  For us, we both fell in love with the area and as health issues came to the fore, we opted to build.  We think of it as our "winter" home and had hoped to only be here less that 5 months a year.  That will probably happen again, but not this year.  We will head out again as spring nears and hopefully be gone again until late fall. 
    Anyway, we never thought we'd be happy in a house again, but we are.  We also love our MH and have missed it greatly.  So it is really a love/hate thing with us.  Where ever we are we feel right at home, be it in the stick-built, or the RV.  We keep enough creature comforts in both so it is never a great transition from either.  I will never regret thoese years of no house,  because it has been a great sense of freedom to do what we want, go where we want, and still fee perfectly at home.  Yhis lifestyle is really is the sense  of adventurel, and I really feel sorry for those who do not have that feeling to see what's around the next corner or over the next hill, because therein lies the new adventure of lifes.......  Daisy

jaspers mom said:
Decisions decisions.    i thought this was not required after reaching the level of "old-dum". 

Retirement to me intially was not a given option so I find it confusing.  I did not know that life went on after life went on.  Now I do, and don't know that I find my self willing to settle for one place over another.  I love the United States of America.  I have been to every single of the 50 states in my lifetime.  They are all wonder filled and offer so much in the idea of home. 

There we go though.  What exactly would be the idea of home.  Definition? 

As the quip goes, home is where you go .... when you are sick, or lost, or hungry, or lonely or ........ home is where the heart is --- where the heart heals --- where the soul steps out to find even more that this world is HOME.  Lots of definitions.

I have to say that if it were a given "area" in which i should land this would be a difficult decision.  I would pick ........ if i were younger and stronger, Oklahoma.  If I were leaner and meaner, Missouri.  Here I am in Idaho and love it.  I feel that for me, Idaho is my "home of choice" so to speak.  With good ol Charlie the RV, I can make home just about anywhere, but the reality is that there have been and will continue to be times that Charlie is out of the question and "home" may be yours or someone who care's or and extended care facility or ..... the land of granite sculpture. 

I pick the United States of America, and I pick Canada, and I pick anywhere I may be able to drive and thrive.  Oh, I can be that flexible?  Okay then, I pick Idaho.

Jaspers Mom
Wishy Washy little me.

Jaspers Mom,

Decisions are a part of our life forever! Life changes as we watch. We never know what is around the corner but we have to face it and do our best. We went full time 10 years ago. We still owned a house for two years of that time. Lived in the motor home during the summer and spent winters in AZ with forum framily. We probably sold too soon but that's a chapter that has ended. We love what we are doing and hope to continue for several more years. When the time comes that we have to "settle down" again we will hopefully find a place that will allow us to enjoy our remaining days. I'm hoping it won't be for many more years!!!

The freedom of full timing is not something that can be explained to one who has not done it. It's so different from everyday life. One cannot imagine the freedom in waking up one morning only to decide that the route previously decided upon is not where we want to go today. Changes in plans are accepted and routes are revised!

Daisy,

We'll be seeing you at the end of October or early November.  Looking forward to seeing both of you again.

Daisy,

You have such a lovely home it would be difficult to be unhappy there! I work with a guy that has a home in Sierra Vista which he probably will never sell. He keeps saying he wants to go back but his father in law keeps his wife in CT. I have taken pictures of it when we visited with you and Fred so he can see what is going on. You have a very lovely home and I'm sure it will be a comfort in years to come.

Jim Dick said:
One cannot imagine the freedom in waking up one morning only to decide that the route previously decided upon is not where we want to go today. Changes in plans are accepted and routes are revised!

Hi Jim,

I really understand what you're saying. Although we don't fulltime, when we take off for several months in the coach we'll wake up each morning and do a couple of things:

• Toss a coin to decide if we'll stay or move on.
  • If the decision is to move on, we'll stick a pin in the map to find the next destination.

Yes, we do plan some routes, destinations and waypoints, but we really enjoy the flexibility of not being tied to a schedule or specific destinations.

Hi Tom,

One of these days I'm going to cut the umbilical cord to CT and travel during the sujmmer as well as winter!! ;D Then we can stay as long as we want and visit places yet to be explored.

That sounds like a great plan Jim. It would be nice if dealers across the country would offer temp/short-term PDI jobs; That would make it easier to cut the cord.

Tom said:
That sounds like a great plan Jim. It would be nice if dealers across the country would offer temp/short-term PDI jobs; That would make it easier to cut the cord.

I've never checked anywhere to see if they do look for part timers. When in Florida I really don't want to work. Same with Arizona. There just isn't time. ;D I might switch someday to working in FL and then traveling during the summer. Of course our daughter and grandkids would be upset if we didn't stay the summer.

Tom said:
  • Toss a coin to decide if we'll stay or move on.
  • If the decision is to move on, we'll stick a pin in the map to find the next destination.

I think you have an idea there for a product,  A North Americia Dart Board.    If the coin comes up "MOVE" you close your eyes, toss a dart and go to the point it sticks

LOL John, it would probably sell as well as those maps of "states visited" that folks buy.

It appears that Neva, who started this topic, has closed her account here in the forum. Hope it wasn't something we said  ???

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom