Questions ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thomasamski

I have two questions and hope someone has some answers:

1. The toilet flapper allows the water to leak out after about 15 minutes. Does it have to be replaced? How difficult of a job is it? Can it just be adjusted?

2. The sewer drain in the shower is draining very slowly. Can I use Drano or something similar to clear the line as I would do at home?

Thank you in advance for the expected responses.

thomasamski said:
I have two questions and hope someone has some answers:

1. The toilet flapper allows the water to leak out after about 15 minutes. Does it have to be replaced? How difficult of a job is it? Can it just be adjusted?Depending on toilet brand repair kits are available.  It is likely that there is simply gunk preventing the valve from closing completely.

2. The sewer drain in the shower is draining very slowly. Can I use Drano or something similar to clear the line as I would do at home? Remember the system is not a septic or sewer system, but rather a basic holding tank.  I would take the cover off and run a hand snake down through the "P" trap.

Thank you in advance for the expected responses.

Remove the screen and more than likely hair and soap as accumulated slowing the drain down.  Clean that and see if that help. As Far as using a drain cleaner as long as it not industrial strength.  Just have 1/3 to 1/2 tank full in the gray water so after it cleans the junk out of the trap it will dilute in the tank.  Use the same stuff you use in your stick and brick.  Same plastic just a lighter schedule so if you have to snake keep that in mind.

My owner's manual even says to use Drano in the black water tank to clean the sensors.

As stated in the owner's manual under Maintenance of holding tanks   as recommended by the tank Manufacturer to keep your tanks clean and keep the probes free of debris and buildup.
Grey (Waste water) Tank.  Fill tank with 10-12 gallons of warm water. Add a degreaser such as a citrus cleaner or Dawn dish soap. Leave solution in tank while traveling.  Rinse and drain tank.
Black (Sewer) Tank  Fill tank with 10-12 gallons of water. Add one bottle of drain cleaner, such as Drano or Liquid Plumber. Leave solution in tank while traveling. Rinse and drain tank.

If you've got a generic RV toilet, I believe Donn is right on the mark. Repair kits are pretty cheap, but you may not even need one. The "gunk" that gets on those flapper valves can usually be cleaned off pretty easily but you're probably going to have to dissassemble the toilet to get to the entire flapper. Don't let that intimidate you if you haven't done it before. They're not that complex.

Many RV toilets are only held down by two bolts. Once you've removed them, dissassemble the toilet and then clean the flapper, being careful not to gouge it (or it may never seal again). Then, look at the rubber seal that it seats against when it's closed and make sure it's intact and clean. If it looks okay, put a little vasaline on it to lube the movement of the flapper and then reassemble everything. That's what I did when I had the same problem you've described and mine continued to seal perfectly until the day I sold the RV, five years later. If that rubber seal is torn, however, you may have to invest in a rebuild kit.

Kev

I have found the easiest fix for slow shower drains is the foaming "slow" drain cleaner, a small shot down the drain, let it sit for a while, and flush it with water.

Like on my toilet you can just hold the flush handle open and reach in and pull the seal down and then pull it out. Install the new one just circle your finger like a hook and pull the new seal back in place. How do I know this...  ::) I got over zealous with a toilet brush and push the seal out of the toilet base. Luck should have it it the old seal didn't make it to the holding tank but hung up right at the floor flange. MoparMom was smaller hands and was able to reaching and grab the seal for me to re-install.

As for sensors in the holding tanks I typically rinse the tanks out with fresh water let stay a day or so. Then drain and leave the knife valves open. All 4 tanks sensors work perfectly still to this day heading into 14 year old RV now.

Jeff said:
I have found the easiest fix for slow shower drains is the foaming "slow" drain cleaner, a small shot down the drain, let it sit for a while, and flush it with water.

never heard of foaming slow drain cleaner.... is there a brand? can i get it at home depot.
thanks!

There are several brands of foaming liquid drain cleaner.. Suggest visit to hardware store or proper isle in Wal*Mart et-al... I can not recommend any specific brand as I've not used them in years.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom