Yellow Stone fishermen.. an interesting article. Kill Rainbow Trouts....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They have been trying to get rid of the Rainbows for a long time. Ten years ago a Yellowstone ranger told me "No limits on rainbows, stock your freezer."

The response of the local fish related businesses, though understandable, is a good example of what could happen if the National Parks were turned over to private management.  I seriously doubt there would be the same emphasis on restoring or maintaining the natural order of the park. The likelihood of local interests having an impact on the park management decisions would be substantially greater than on the current Federal management.  I think no matter how restrictive the contract might be controlling the management, the parks would suffer in favor of the dollar.

It is not only in Yellowstone required to take the Rainbows; since they are an invasive species, it is required on the Snake River in Idaho as well. There the fly fishers are required to cut of th tails and heads, put it in a plastic bag with the date, and then deposit it in a special container, at the launch ramps. In fact there is a fine for releasing it back into the water.

The biggest threat to Yellowstone is the Lake Trout. They can devour many Cutthroat Trout for dinner. The current rule is any Lake Trout must be killed if not taken for food. I really do not know where the Rainbow trout fit into the picture.

Molaker said:
The response of the local fish related businesses, though understandable, is a good example of what could happen if the National Parks were turned over to private management.  I seriously doubt there would be the same emphasis on restoring or maintaining the natural order of the park. The likelihood of local interests having an impact on the park management decisions would be substantially greater than on the current Federal management.  I think no matter how restrictive the contract might be controlling the management, the parks would suffer in favor of the dollar.

If you think that private management of the parks would screw up fish and wildlife management, just think what it would do for fire management.

The old joke about the forest service's policy regarding fire is "If it's burning, put it out. If it's not, light it." has a ring of truth to it. Managing fire for the ecology is difficult enough without there being a profit motive involved.

Great Horned Owl said:
If you think that private management of the parks would screw up fish and wildlife management, just think what it would do for fire management.

The old joke about the forest service's policy regarding fire is "If it's burning, put it out. If it's not, light it." has a ring of truth to it. Managing fire for the ecology is difficult enough without there being a profit motive involved.
Very good point.

Fishery biologist have been some of the worst at introducing non-native species that have decimated native populations. The German Carp is probably the best example and is now so prevalent that eradication is considered virtually impossible.

Yellowstone has not been spared and is plagued with several introduced fish species. Rainbow, Brown and Brook Trout are not native to the park. Before the introduction of Lake Trout to Yellowstone Lake, white suckers were taking their toll on the native Cutthroat trout.  Brook Trout have eliminated the native Cutthroats from many of the smaller streams. The current regulations allow the harvest of five non-native species per day in many areas of the park. Only pressure from fishermen and the commercial interests based on fishing prevented the harvest of non-natives throughout the park when the fishery restoration plan was first developed years ago. The presence of Rainbows in the Cutthroat strong holds of the Lamar River and Slough Creek is a matter deserving serious concern and action.

Back
Top Bottom