FIRST TRIP NERVOUS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carbuff34

Hello,
I will be venturing out on my own for the first time this winter.  There sure is a lot to think about and I am sure I will overlook something, but I am going.
I have been wanting to stay in south Texas as I have visited the area a couple of times.  I don't know the area well enough to pick where I will park my MH. and therefore asking if anyone out there is familiar with Penitas RV park in Penita Texas.  Their rates seem very good and I am going on a shoestring.
Any guidance or advice will be appreciated.
Thanks.
::)

Not familure with the park but do have some general advice.

The first item is a different place to park for a couple of weeks, Quartzsite AZ, about 2 miles south of I-10 on SR-95 and head west into the desert (Tyson's Wash section) last two weeks in January.  We'll be glad to lead/talk you in to the precise spot

Now. yes, you are going to forget stuff, Don't worry about it, If you have a stick build house secure it for long-term departure and/or have a neighbor check on it daily, make sure that pipes do not freeze (either blow them out or keep heat on) and things like that  Shut down as much as you can Consider suspending selected services (Phone and the like) if you are going to be gone long.

Now. Will you be bringing a computer along? (don't much matter what kind) if the answer is yes, then get a good mapping solution (software) Options include Delorme Road Atlas,  Rand McNally Street Atlas and Microsoft Streets and Trips. optional is the GPS option on at least two of them (I suggest it) or alternative an external GPS (I use) wich works with all 3.

Then go to the discovery owner's web page and download the proper map overlays for all the Camping Worlds and Wall Marts and things.  That way when you get where you are going and realize "OH ***T, I forgot ________" you will have a map that shows you where to go to get it.

One other thing.. Packing food.  My wife tends to pack for the trip, and a LONG trip at that, she will pack a month's worth of food for a 1 week trip if I let her.  She is starting to learn though... There is this thing we find in most every city, town or village along our route.. It's called a SUPERMARKET.  Pack a bit light on food and shop as you stop, makes it easier to figure out what's in the fridge and to use it up before it becomes the subject line of the following joke:

They say Red Meat is bad for you

Red meat is not bad for you

Blue Green Fuzzy Meat is bad for you!

Pack no more than a 1 week supply of food (Save for some special stuff you may wish to pack) and shop along the route

The other advantage to having a computer, and hopefully, WIFI connection at the park where you will be staying, is being able to stay in touch with this forum.  We have been travelling for months and when we have had a problem, the folks on this forum have helped us out by giving of their wisdom on issues we were not familiar with but they were!!

Thank you both for the advice.  John, I am starting out not far from you, Windsor.  I certainly will keept Quarzite in mind and will contact you.
I hjave bought a laptop to take along, but computers don't like me, or is it the other way around.  My brother-in-law in Farmington Mi. will try to teach me to use the maps etc.
I am really looking forward to it.
Thanks again.
Leo

Hi Leo,

Welcome to the forum. I can't speak about South Texas but the forum rally in Quartzsite is a real happening!! Obviously you will forget things or bring something which you will not need. This is very common and nothing to be overly concerned about. Be sure to stay in touch with this forum and ask any questions you might have. Many of us have been there before and are more than willing to answer your questions.

carbuff34 said:
Thank you both for the advice.  John, I am starting out not far from you, Windsor.  I certainly will keept Quarzite in mind and will contact you.
I hjave bought a laptop to take along, but computers don't like me, or is it the other way around.  My brother-in-law in Farmington Mi. will try to teach me to use the maps etc.
I am really looking forward to it.
Thanks again.
Leo

Hey, if you need a place to spend a day or three I have an RV pad here in Detroit, currently my Class A is sitting on it but it features limited electric (20 amps, enough for television and either one AC or Microwave) swere and nearby (50 feet) water.  Let me know, I'm at 7 and telegraph area so Farmington is,,,, Well... Where I go to church.  I'm leaving next week but that is not a problem as there is no key to the back yard.  Neighborhood could be better though, but to be honest we've not had  a problem

Though many parks do have Wi-Fi now days you want to look up j-wire (I'lll provide the url) for Wi-Fi connections all over.  Now do understand that J-Wire lists all avabial Wi-Fi connectios free or not.  So you have to look for the "Free" statement.  panara bread is free, When they have Wi-Fi Old Country Buffet is free,  Flying-J is not free.  Michigan rest stops, if they have wi-fi, are free

Link to J-wire

Back
Top Bottom